Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 12-22-2015, 12:10 PM   #1
gtsticker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee and Fayette Counties. New Mexico
Default Ok let talk edge cover

I need to cover and area about ten yards wide and 40 yards long that is along a county road on my property I own. I have irrigation available. I am looking for a permanent cover that I can plant and do not have to replant each year. I do not want to use cedar because of water uptake. What are some good alternatives? Is there something that the deer could also use as browse? The deer numbers are moderate. Thanks for suggestions. I also have all the equipment needed to plant what ever works best. Also I am in the Lee county area with heavy clay soils.
gtsticker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2015, 12:54 PM   #2
Blackmouth
Six Point

How tall you want it?

First thing that came to mind was a good mix of tall native grasses; little bluestem, big bluestem, indiangrass, switchgrass and eastern gammagrass. Not the best browse for WTD but good cover and benefits all wildlife.

One thing to consider is if it's a high quality browse and your numbers aren't right, that edge cover may get browsed too hard and not do want you want it to do, block visibility.
Blackmouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2015, 02:03 PM   #3
gtsticker
Ten Point

Good point on brouse I think 5ft would be tall enough. Are the natives hard to establish? I have heard they are.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:44 PM   #4
Puncher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties

Those natives can be hard to establish, but when planted under the right conditions they will thrive forever. They will get right around your desired height of 5 ft and can get a few feet taller. Make sure if you add Switchgrass that you use the "Alamo" variety. It does a great job of getting very tall.
Puncher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2015, 02:45 PM   #5
Blackmouth
Six Point

Those bigger grasses will get you close. I'm sure you've got yaupon in the area which is good screening cover from a road.

With your equipment and irrigation capabilities, I wouldn't think it would be too hard to establish unless you're dealing with an improved pasture like coastal. Lots of resources out there on how-to as well as seed mixes if you want to plant some perrenial forbs to go with it.
Blackmouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2015, 06:27 PM   #6
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX

I have Alamo switch grass planted for a food plot divider. It takes a couple of seasons to fill in and get tall but so far I think it will work.

Another I plan on experimenting with is Bicolor lespedeza. Its a perennial fast growing shrub (legume) that grows very tall and fills in thick.

Until you get a good perennial going a temporary option is Egyptian Wheat. I planted it this summer and it got 10 feet tall until my place flooded for over a month. It gets very tall and thick and can withstand fairly strong winds.
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2015, 06:57 PM   #7
gtsticker
Ten Point

Very good advise I will do some research on those varieties and see what will work. I may try a combination to get started to see what works best. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:23 PM   #8
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Myscantheus giganticus ( sp ) is what I've had recommended. Think you plant it from roots or cuttings, and not seeds. Probably ought to google it, that would be more reliable than my rusty brain.

Google Miscanthus grass, that'll get you going in the right direction

Last edited by Drycreek3189; 12-22-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2015, 08:23 PM   #9
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
Myscantheus giganticus ( sp ) is what I've had recommended. Think you plant it from roots or cuttings, and not seeds. Probably ought to google it, that would be more reliable than my rusty brain.

Google Miscanthus grass, that'll get you going in the right direction
I've seen that on the QDMA forum. Looks promising. Wonder how hard it is to get established with having to plant the "tubers"?

It does turn into a huge and massive wall from the pics I've seen.
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2015, 08:46 PM   #10
kingchip
Eight Point

Hunt In: south and more south

Blackberry. Virtually impenetrable once established.
kingchip is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2015, 11:23 AM   #11
BrokenJ
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puncher51 View Post
Those natives can be hard to establish, but when planted under the right conditions they will thrive forever. They will get right around your desired height of 5 ft and can get a few feet taller. Make sure if you add Switchgrass that you use the "Alamo" variety. It does a great job of getting very tall.
Switch grass ^^^ good cover there. I would go with that. But other choices are Bee wild bundell flower year to year if you shred it, it will come back but the screen will be gone for part of the year. And haygera has a great seed head for wildlife. But it is just one year.
BrokenJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top