Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-18-2018, 01:36 PM   #1
Seay
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brownwood and Rio Vista , Tx
Default Port A set ups?

Heading to Port A in a little over a month. Taking the kayaks and camper. We will be staying in the pioneer RV park. I want to fish somewhat close to there to get more time on the water instead of driving if possible. Where should I fish?

I'll be taking 3 different set ups.
2 Abu Garcia's on 7ft rods
1 Penn Fierce on a 7ft rod

What should I spool each on with and what should I have tied on each on ready to go?

I've never fished Port A and I'm taking the wife (she will also have the same 3 rods) so I want to get her hooked and try to make this trip happen on a regular basis (at least twice a year for now)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Seay is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #2
marlinboy33
Six Point

Hunt In: campbellton

Wilson’s cut
marlinboy33 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 01:53 PM   #3
Robertt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County, Tx

Wilson's Cut. Go right as you enter the bay and you will be in the Shamrock Cove area. I have been fishing with gold weed-less spoons and catching reds.
Robertt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 02:13 PM   #4
Seay
Eight Point

First 2 say the same thing! Gotta mean something, just hope it holds true till I get there.

Are you throwing the spoons on braid with fluoro leader?

Old 06-18-2018, 02:38 PM   #5
E.TX.BOWHUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas Public Lands

I would have 15 pound mono on both bait casters. 10-20 pound braid on spinning set up. I like smaller spinnerbaits with gold spinners for reds too.
E.TX.BOWHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 02:40 PM   #6
Seay
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
I would have 15 pound mono on both bait casters. 10-20 pound braid on spinning set up. I like smaller spinnerbaits with gold spinners for reds too.
Bait casters for spoon and artificial and the Penn for popping cork??

Ive fished POC several times growing up but by no means a "regular".

I mainly catfish lake cleburne and the rivers

Old 06-18-2018, 02:42 PM   #7
bigbad243
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fredericksburg and Hye Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertt View Post
Wilson's Cut. Go right as you enter the bay and you will be in the Shamrock Cove area. I have been fishing with gold weed-less spoons and catching reds.
How far of a paddle is that in kayak?
bigbad243 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 02:44 PM   #8
Notaguide
Four Point

Hunt In: Bosque Co.

Leave nothing in your car and consider leaving it unlocked at the Cut. They will only damage your door to get in. We leave a note with "door is unlock" not to break glass or jimmy handle after all the years of damage. We are always in a boat but would recommend drive down the road to the left of the ramp closer to the bay before unloading. Would save some paddle time for sure.

Trout have been slow inside the islands for us but can be found on outside bay side. Reds were pretty good two weeks ago when last there on 3" new penny gulp. Gold spoon would be good also tied with a 16" 20lb leader, swivel, and braid. I'd look for a little off colored water for that set up which can be hard to find in that area without wind. Behind the pink shack (opposite of bay side) is a deeper mud hole that will hold some drum and reds not too far from the ramp. Also the flat behind the nicer (light green metal roof) shack will hold reds also. It has a nice drop off shelf that runs across it directly behind the cabin that the fish hang on usually. Any of the island tips off the deeper channels can hold fish.

Good luck and report back.
Notaguide is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 02:51 PM   #9
Seay
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notaguide View Post
Leave nothing in your car and consider leaving it unlocked at the Cut. They will only damage your door to get in. We leave a note with "door is unlock" not to break glass or jimmy handle after all the years of damage. We are always in a boat but would recommend drive down the road to the left of the ramp closer to the bay before unloading. Would save some paddle time for sure.

Trout have been slow inside the islands for us but can be found on outside bay side. Reds were pretty good two weeks ago when last there on 3" new penny gulp. Gold spoon would be good also tied with a 16" 20lb leader, swivel, and braid. I'd look for a little off colored water for that set up which can be hard to find in that area without wind. Behind the pink shack (opposite of bay side) is a deeper mud hole that will hold some drum and reds not too far from the ramp. Also the flat behind the nicer (light green metal roof) shack will hold reds also. It has a nice drop off shelf that runs across it directly behind the cabin that the fish hang on usually. Any of the island tips off the deeper channels can hold fish.

Good luck and report back.
Thanks for the report. I will for sure do the same, hopefully with a successful story.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:52 PM   #10
JP Weld
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ranch Owner, Lampasas TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seay View Post
Heading to Port A in a little over a month. Taking the kayaks and camper. We will be staying in the pioneer RV park. I want to fish somewhat close to there to get more time on the water instead of driving if possible. Where should I fish?

I'll be taking 3 different set ups.
2 Abu Garcia's on 7ft rods
1 Penn Fierce on a 7ft rod

What should I spool each on with and what should I have tied on each on ready to go?

I've never fished Port A and I'm taking the wife (she will also have the same 3 rods) so I want to get her hooked and try to make this trip happen on a regular basis (at least twice a year for now)

Nice!
JP Weld is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 02:56 PM   #11
BETTERLUCKYTHANGOOD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Have bow will travel

Wilson's cut for sure. And for a second place, just past fish pass is an access road that will take you to a very large flat that the reds love to visit in the mornings. That area drops to about 6 ft and has a deeper hole called Esters hole or something like that trout and reds there also. I was just at pioneer a couple weeks ago, location is good for getting to fishing spots fast and clean campsites.
BETTERLUCKYTHANGOOD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 02:57 PM   #12
Robertt
Eight Point

Quote:
First 2 say the same thing! Gotta mean something, just hope it holds true till I get there.

Are you throwing the spoons on braid with fluoro leader?

I use 12lb mono with a 9" black steel leader. My son uses braid on his bait caster with a 6" leader. Retrieve at a fairly fast rate to keep it out of the grass. We have been fishing 2-3' of water targeting potholes.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:02 PM   #13
Seay
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertt View Post
I use 12lb mono with a 9" black steel leader. My son uses braid on his bait caster with a 6" leader. Retrieve at a fairly fast rate to keep it out of the grass. We have been fishing 2-3' of water targeting potholes.
Thanks! I've already got one spooled with 15lb braid was thinking the other would get some mono but wanted the experienced advice before just guessing

Old 06-18-2018, 03:03 PM   #14
Seay
Eight Point

Looking at the overhead map I see this trail (blue dotted line) that is really close to the pioneer RV park. Could I use that to put the kayaks in there at what I think is called (flato's cut)?

Old 06-18-2018, 03:10 PM   #15
E.TX.BOWHUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas Public Lands

Quote:
Bait casters for spoon and artificial and the Penn for popping cork??

Ive fished POC several times growing up but by no means a "regular".

I mainly catfish lake cleburne and the rivers

I assumed you would be using lures. Mono is great for most things. Topwaters, jigs, yes even works on spoons. Braid on spinning tackle is great for most things too but it won't bury itself on the spool as on a bait caster. Plus you will cast it a country mile. Since there is no stretch in braid, you really don't set a hook. Just come right and reel. If you have wind you may regret braid on the bait casters. This would be my setup.
E.TX.BOWHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 03:31 PM   #16
marlinboy33
Six Point

Hunt In: campbellton

Quote:
Looking at the overhead map I see this trail (blue dotted line) that is really close to the pioneer RV park. Could I use that to put the kayaks in there at what I think is called (flato's cut)?

Private property
marlinboy33 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 03:33 PM   #17
Seay
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinboy33 View Post
Private property
Well dang!

Where is the closest place to the pioneer RV park that I could toss a yak in?

Old 06-18-2018, 03:49 PM   #18
Notaguide
Four Point

Quote:
Well dang!

Where is the closest place to the pioneer RV park that I could toss a yak in?

I'd still say Wilson's cut which is the dirt entrance directly across from the Sea Gull Condo tower entrance.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:54 PM   #19
Rack Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Knee Deep Salty Water

http://www.coastalbendfishing.com/fishing-port-aransas
Rack Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 03:54 PM   #20
Jeff_S
Four Point

Wilson's Cut area can be really good. As a boater and a kayaker I would suggest a flag if you think you'll be near the many channels that run through there. Boats will come cruising through there on plane and its a surprise for all involved when you come around a corner and there is a kayak right there. Also the theft problem is real. I had my boat trailer stolen there several years ago while I was out fishing.
Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 03:59 PM   #21
Seay
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_S View Post
Wilson's Cut area can be really good. As a boater and a kayaker I would suggest a flag if you think you'll be near the many channels that run through there. Boats will come cruising through there on plane and its a surprise for all involved when you come around a corner and there is a kayak right there. Also the theft problem is real. I had my boat trailer stolen there several years ago while I was out fishing.
Man! If it is that bad and that common of a problem why does the local law not get involved?

Old 06-18-2018, 04:02 PM   #22
Notaguide
Four Point

Quote:
Man! If it is that bad and that common of a problem why does the local law not get involved?

It falls under the county sheriffs dept. and they would have to basically "stake out" the area which is obviously more work then taking a report. They know.

I agree with Jeff_S on being careful. There are basically known lanes of travel through shallow areas. Expect to see a boat or ten run pretty close to you if in one of those areas.

Last edited by Notaguide; 06-18-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:09 PM   #23
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTERLUCKYTHANGOOD View Post
Wilson's cut for sure. And for a second place, just past fish pass is an access road that will take you to a very large flat that the reds love to visit in the mornings. That area drops to about 6 ft and has a deeper hole called Esters hole or something like that trout and reds there also. I was just at pioneer a couple weeks ago, location is good for getting to fishing spots fast and clean campsites.
Kates Hole
AZST_bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 04:41 PM   #24
BETTERLUCKYTHANGOOD
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
Kates Hole
Bingo....never been good at remembering a woman's name when it was a quick visit.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:46 PM   #25
Seay
Eight Point

Quote:
Bingo....never been good at remembering a woman's name when it was a quick visit.

Old 06-18-2018, 04:47 PM   #26
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Quote:
Lmbo

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2018, 04:58 PM   #27
Jeff_S
Four Point

When my trailer got stolen I called the cops to do a report. In the mean time I realized that the sorry SOB's had left their POS in the tall grass near the parking lot and swapped their boat to my trailer and took off. When the cop got there to do a report I told him what happened. He wouldn't even get out of his car to see if there was serial numbers on the trailer that was left. So I contacted a game warden friend of mine and told him about the incident. He told me where I could find the hidden serial numbers on the trailer since the visible ones had been scratched off. I went back to see if I could find the hidden numbers and THAT trailer was already gone. Either the original theifs came back for it or someone stole that trailer.
Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 02:05 AM   #28
jnd1959
Six Point

Before the blow last year you could take a different entry and get further back at Wilson's cut. Didn't seem to be such a problem then. When are you down? We are going to be there for a btb gathering on the 14th if the seas cooperate. May fish the cut or go over to highland lakes. Mind the wind at the cut. If you go north and a south wind picks up it can be brutal getting back. If its going to get windy later I go south towards Kate's hole so I can return with the wind. Get a hook n line wade and kayak map of the area. It is a big help. Our house is rented so we will be staying on the beach S of Bob Hall pier. Good luck.
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 02:19 AM   #29
Robertt
Eight Point

There is the lighthouse trails across the ferry going towards Aransas Pass. (I think that is what they call it.) You have to paddle across the shrimp boat channel to get the back side of the islands along Lydia Ann Channel. I know it's marked on kayak fishing websites. Catch the tide coming out of the lakes behind the lighthouse and fish along the shore of the islands to catch the reds draining out.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:15 AM   #30
Seay
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnd1959 View Post
Before the blow last year you could take a different entry and get further back at Wilson's cut. Didn't seem to be such a problem then. When are you down? We are going to be there for a btb gathering on the 14th if the seas cooperate. May fish the cut or go over to highland lakes. Mind the wind at the cut. If you go north and a south wind picks up it can be brutal getting back. If its going to get windy later I go south towards Kate's hole so I can return with the wind. Get a hook n line wade and kayak map of the area. It is a big help. Our house is rented so we will be staying on the beach S of Bob Hall pier. Good luck.
Not going to be down till August 10th but thanks for the wind advise that definitely something that could ruin the wife on wanting to go back

Old 06-19-2018, 08:36 AM   #31
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Webb/Jim Hogg

If fishing in Wilsons cut, in August I would recommend Paddling out to the bay an follow the shore North. Wade the deeper edges close to drop offs with scattered grass early in the morning. Use croaker if you can keep them alive, or a top water.
Later in the morning move into the back lakes concentrating on chunking a spoon or a soft plastic with a light jig head casting right near the mangrove spoils. Take a half pound of dead shrimp with you and keep a rod rigged with a free lined hook for drum. Or a Berkely gulp shrimp in New Penny. I am sure you will see them in there at that time. Especially late in the evening.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2018, 08:40 AM   #32
BETTERLUCKYTHANGOOD
Ten Point

Just an FYI, if you are a Good Sam member Pioneer gives a 10% discount.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:44 AM   #33
Seay
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Bud View Post
If fishing in Wilsons cut, in August I would recommend Paddling out to the bay an follow the shore North. Wade the deeper edges close to drop offs with scattered grass early in the morning. Use croaker if you can keep them alive, or a top water.
Later in the morning move into the back lakes concentrating on chunking a spoon or a soft plastic with a light jig head casting right near the mangrove spoils. Take a half pound of dead shrimp with you and keep a rod rigged with a free lined hook for drum. Or a Berkely gulp shrimp in New Penny. I am sure you will see them in there at that time. Especially late in the evening.
Thanks gonna save this one to the clip board

Old 06-19-2018, 08:45 AM   #34
Seay
Eight Point

Quote:
Just an FYI, if you are a Good Sam member Pioneer gives a 10% discount.
Have to look into this

Old 06-19-2018, 08:57 AM   #35
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

We enjoyed Pioneer RV. There was, and probably still is a boardwalk to the beach, they also had a fish cleaning station. The store seemed expensive, but you didn't have to drive into town for most stuff. Pool was always clean and they had a game room.
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top