Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 12-15-2015, 04:26 PM   #251
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

Just read this whole thing ... pretty crappy of the landowner to not tell you he's off limits until you pumped a LOT of protein in him.
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2015, 06:59 PM   #252
GtownBowhunter
Six Point

Hunt In: In a tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastaxi View Post
Just read this whole thing ... pretty crappy of the landowner to not tell you he's off limits until you pumped a LOT of protein in him.
I would be asking for my money back and giving him the bird on the way out.
GtownBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2015, 09:34 PM   #253
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

I bet dollars to donuts the landowners gonna take a bunch of money from someone and let them come out after deer seasons over and kill it.

But in fairness I did call it back on post 201.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2015, 09:21 AM   #254
hoythitman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
I bet dollars to donuts the landowners gonna take a bunch of money from someone and let them come out after deer seasons over and kill it.

But in fairness I did call it back on post 201.
Someone would be throwing their money away, cant shoot what you cant see. And I have cameras set up all over my spot hidden to catch people on my area.
hoythitman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2015, 10:32 AM   #255
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoythitman View Post
Someone would be throwing their money away, cant shoot what you cant see. And I have cameras set up all over my spot hidden to catch people on my area.
So let me get this right...you cannot kill him?
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2015, 10:45 AM   #256
BDR
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brush Country

Quite frankly I would be killing that elk. I would bet money he "disappears". I am a land owner and although I don't have it leased to anyone, a good friend of mine, and my cousin hunt the place and help pay for feed etc. I would never just wake up one morning and say hey that 155 inch ten pt is off limits. Sounds **** shady. Just my .02.
BDR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2015, 10:49 AM   #257
TexasPigHunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Midland, Stanton, Big Spring, Big Lake, Freer

what I have gathered tell me if i am right or not. you are a meat hunter, you lease a property im guessing with rules that you are a meat hunter and get to take culls and does to fill the freezer, somewhere in the hill country, the owner has cows so in return you probably keep an eye on them and the property, You noticed that you have exotics, you started feeding them protein, turns out you have a monster, you went to the land owner for permission to harvest the beast, land owner was a jerk and held strong and told you no to the harvest, we are all now mad at the landowner, and love all the pictures and great story? just making sure i was caught up any new pics?
TexasPigHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #258
hoythitman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPigHunter View Post
what I have gathered tell me if i am right or not. you are a meat hunter, you lease a property im guessing with rules that you are a meat hunter and get to take culls and does to fill the freezer, somewhere in the hill country, the owner has cows so in return you probably keep an eye on them and the property, You noticed that you have exotics, you started feeding them protein, turns out you have a monster, you went to the land owner for permission to harvest the beast, land owner was a jerk and held strong and told you no to the harvest, we are all now mad at the landowner, and love all the pictures and great story? just making sure i was caught up any new pics?
No, exotics are in the contract, one axis 30" or better or one elk 5x5 or larger. A management buck and a trophy buck, and a goat, all other exotics are at the owners discretion. The land owner is holding to him not being elk. Saying he is a stag because of his crown at the top of the antlers. You can see from the posts on here lots of people are saying stag others saying elk. Also after talking with the other people on the lease and looking over pictures he isn't nearly as mature as some of the other bulls. Or he is smaller in the body because he is stag or a cross breed, no way to tell for sure.

To answer your question though, yes I am a meat hunter and that's why I'm not as ****** now, if I get to run an arrow through an old mature bull that's smaller than this guy, in the horns, it still fills the freezer and I still get to shoot an elk without a trip to the mountains. Also I get to stay on the lease, hopefully for along time to come and shoot some bigger bulls down the road.

Last edited by hoythitman; 12-16-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:02 AM   #259
TexasPigHunter
Six Point

Wasn't trying to sound like a **** just was trying to piece it all together.. Your a on pretty ****** place man. I am the same as you and will pass deer all day long and just harvest does if need be hell last year I only shot 5 does, probably haven't shot a buck in 3 years
Old 12-16-2015, 11:03 AM   #260
arrowsonly88
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke county, Concho county, Bastrop county.

Well put man, good luck to you getting a good old bull this year! Still gonna be following
arrowsonly88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2015, 11:10 AM   #261
TexasPigHunter
Six Point

What are your thoughts on an elk and red stag cross breeding. I don't think they will or haven't ever heard of it at least. I know it's possible but I don't think it's likely..
Old 12-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #262
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Quote:
What are your thoughts on an elk and red stag cross breeding. I don't think they will or haven't ever heard of it at least. I know it's possible but I don't think it's likely..
They do crossbreed. Sika can get in that mix as well.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2015, 11:38 AM   #263
TexasPigHunter
Six Point

My buddy Shoot this red stag awhile back looks similar with the baskets
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450284069.647574.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  72.9 KB
Old 12-16-2015, 11:40 AM   #264
hoythitman
Ten Point

Quote:
Yeah, they do a lot. Along with Sika.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:26 AM   #265
Bigcountry2231
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: looking

nice lease you found, leases are hard to find unless you have deep pockets. stay on it as long as possible. hope one day I'll find a spot for me and the kids.
Good luck, fill the freezer
Bigcountry2231 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top