No announcement yet.

Montana Whitetail Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think u can use regular trail cams in season now, just not any that uses cell service to transmit pics

Comment

I’d love to hunt Montana

Comment

I mule deer hunted out of Miles City once a few years back. We saw a couple very good whitetails in the creek or river bottom as we were going to and from. I also saw my biggest whitetail ever in Montana when I was working out of Williston, ND in the early 80s. They have some gaggers !

Comment

Also, Jaker; are you specifically talking about the current ranch you are on, or the surrounding area in general with public land opportunities?

Comment

Originally posted by MLank View Post
            Also, Jaker; are you specifically talking about the current ranch you are on, or the surrounding area in general with public land opportunities?
            Another question. I see Montana has a non-res deer tag for $625, but only about 4,000 tags were available. Then, they had about 17,000 deer/elk combo tags that were for $1,000. So do non-residents have to draw for the combo tag for $1,000 in order to go up there and shoot a deer?

Not that much more money for the experience you will have (especially if you are not on a TX lease); but I'm just unclear on things.

Comment

Originally posted by mfarmer View Post
              id be interested. shoot me some pricing and direction....
              X2

Comment

Another question. I see Montana has a non-res deer tag for $625, but only about 4,000 tags were available. Then, they had about 17,000 deer/elk combo tags that were for $1,000. So do non-residents have to draw for the combo tag for $1,000 in order to go up there and shoot a deer?

Not that much more money for the experience you will have (especially if you are not on a TX lease); but I'm just unclear on things.
                I drew a nonresident deer tag this year. I put in for the deer/elk combo at 1,000. If you do not draw the elk you get a refund of 310 bucks and the deer tag is yours. My oufitter recommds going this route. This is the second time I have drawn the deer tag. Lots of big whittail and mulies. I am using Bill Perkins Outfitters. There website is terrible but the hunting is awesome. Lots of really big bicks on the Powder River.

Comment

i would be interested in both whitetail and elk with your buddy up there. That ranch looks incredible. His website doesnt have much info on the private ranch bow hunts though.

Comment

Most of the land where white tails are around here is private, very few pieces of public in these bottoms. It wouldn't be on the ranch im hunting just other ground he has leased for whitetails

Comment

Saw some nice bucks this morning. Pretty interesting

Comment

montana is on my bucket list!
                        a whitetail hunt next year would be fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                          I thought it was illegal to run game cameras in Montana??

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Red Man View Post
                            I drew a nonresident deer tag this year. I put in for the deer/elk combo at 1,000. If you do not draw the elk you get a refund of 310 bucks and the deer tag is yours. My oufitter recommds going this route. This is the second time I have drawn the deer tag. Lots of big whittail and mulies. I am using Bill Perkins Outfitters. There website is terrible but the hunting is awesome. Lots of really big bicks on the Powder River.
                            That's where I hunted mule deer. The old man was alive at the time and he was our "guide", which consisted of driving around the ranch until we found a buck we wanted to go after. It was a big ranch with many mulies, but we saw the whitetailes in the Powder River bottom. They wouldn't let you hunt them at that time because they had a recent epidemic of blue tongue and the herd needed some more time. This was at least 15 years ago, maybe more. I also got to shoot my first prairie dog, with a .300 Win mag.

One thing, if you go, there's a butcher in Miles City that, at least when I went, only likes to give you about half your meat. Otherwise it was a great trip !

Comment

Originally posted by lmartin5 View Post
                              This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read the thread man. It's legal

Comment

I’m looking forward to my first Montana season, but even more to retiring in Texas in three years! If you all need any help, just holler, I’m in Billings.

Comment

Working...
                                X