Red Dot’s on Pistols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Dot’s on Pistols

I have been looking at different pistols lately, I carry 1911 style pistols, I enjoy the way they shoot and the way the look. I have thought about purchasing a double stack type for the extra round capacity. While looking I have seen the Sig 320 RX which comes with a red dot from the factory and now after doing some more looking around I have seen a few different manufacturers offering them. I wouldn’t be looking to use it as an EDC, mostly for targets, and even though I was originally looking at double stacks I have stumbled on the Kimber Aegis Elite with a vortex red dot installed.

I’m mostly curious to see if anyone has any experience shooting with a red dot on their pistol? Likes and Dislikes?? What brand red dot have you used?
    Attached Files

I hope I like them. My g20 is off getting milled for a rmr.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
      I hope I like them. My g20 is off getting milled for a rmr.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
      That’s cool, I have read that the rmr is one of the best overall.

Comment

I have an RMR on one of my ARs for nighttime pigs out of the ranger shooting and it’s deadly. Friend of mine has one on his G19 duty pistol and swears by it.

I would strongly suggest the rmr if you go with a redot.

I can’t personally comment on one pistol mounted but if I ever build one it will have a RMR on top no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
          I have an RMR on one of my ARs for nighttime pigs out of the ranger shooting and it’s deadly. Friend of mine has one on his G19 duty pistol and swears by it.

I would strongly suggest the rmr if you go with a redot.

I can’t personally comment on one pistol mounted but if I ever build one it will have a RMR on top no doubt.
          Thanks for the feed back. I think it’s going to become more popular, watching videos and reading reviews I haven’t found to many negatives about using a dot. All the reviews do say if money isn’t an issue the RMR is the way to go for durability and you can adjust the size of your dot. If I buy a set up with the red dot already installed I probably won’t upgrade it right away but if I piece it together I will Lean towards the RMR.

Comment

Sorry for the dumb question, but whatis a rmr?

Comment

Originally posted by kennyelp View Post
              Sorry for the dumb question, but whatis a rmr?

Trijicon RMR (Ruggedized Miniature Reflex)-it’s a specific brand/model of red dot.
              Last edited by TBrandum; 04-24-2018, 05:23 AM.

Comment

I have 2 Glock pistols with dual source RMR installed (no electronics) since my close distance vision is not great anymore these are an excellent option. I can see the dot and target clearly whereas regular sights are very blurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I had one and while great for slow fire target shooting, I had trouble picking the dot up when shooting fast. I ended up going back to irons. That said I didn't practice with the dot as much as I should have and that was probably the main issue. I know some others that can flat lay the hammer down with them, so I guess what I am saying is don't expect it to be an instant great thing, but with some practice they can be real nice. I would try a pistol out with one before I bought one if I could, or at least just buy a plate for the rear sight instead of milling a slide that way if I didn't like it I wouldn't have a huge amount of cost in it. You could always sell the plate and get the slide milled later if you wanted. Good luck

Comment

I've shot a lot through an RMR on the M249, M240, and M2. Dang thing is a tank. Also shot a fair amount with one on a FNX Tactical in 45. I can't think of a negative for them. The do require a lot of practice to get used to the new system, but thats any major change on your defensive guns.

Comment

Thanks for the input! I have read and seen videos talking about how shooting with the dot can be different at first.
                      It’s intriguing if nothing else. I’m going to try and look at a few of the models offered from the factory with them installed. The ones I have seen also have raised iron sights to use as a back up, which I consider a plus.

Comment

RMRs and cheaper variants are great. If your life depends on it, go with Trijicon and trail for it to fail (have seen it happen twice) and be ready to use your irons.

I like the Vortex line of RDSes. Viper is the cheapest, but has a top-load battery compartment which is nice. Viper is better quality, has locks for the windage/elevation adjustments (though they may be blocked by your rear sight), but has a bottom-load battery meaning the sight must be removed to change. Razor is the nicest, and honestly it's close enough to Trij money that I'd rather have the Trij probably.

Comment

Yeah.. I like em.

Comment

A guy I work with carries a Glock of some sort. We were at the range today and I saw that he had some sort of red dot installed. Got to talking and he was about $700 deep to be able to carry it. That’s on a $400 gun!

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                              That’s some fast shooting! Do you have some pics of your set up?

I really do appreciate all the input. I stopped by the Country gun store in the Houston area today at lunch and was able to see the sig 320 with the Romeo mounted on it. Just the little time I held it at the store I can see where it’s different as you pull it up looking for the dot vs your iron sights, actually the first time I did just looking for the dot I found myself reverting to the iron sight to get it aligned. I am going to keep looking and hope to have a chance to see a few more.

Comment

Working...
                              X