Remington core-lokt quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remington core-lokt quality?

I have been using the same Remington core lokt ammo with my .260 mountain rifle for 17 years.
    I bought some new boxes the other day and took the gun to the range. Immediately noticed a big difference in accuracy. I've never had accuracy issues with the gun before but suddenly it couldn't hold a group.
    I looked at the ammo and noticed the lead tips look sloppy and deformed compared to what I'm used to seeing. I haven't bought a new box of this stuff in years. Would you expect a change in accuracy or not?

First pic is older core lokts.
    Second pics are the new batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow... thats bad...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

I've had the same problem with Corelokts the last few years after having used them for pretty much my entire life prior to. I usually file those burrs off, though I'm not sure if it helps. I blamed my new rifle, my new scope...the ammo was theoretically the same, but I wasn't convinced.

I bought a box of Winchester SP's last year just to see what they would do and immediately noticed an improvement.

As strong as ammo sales have been, particularly under the Obama administration, and with all the shortages I wouldn't be surprised if QC went down the toilet as they worked to pump more out more quickly.

Comment

I bought 10 boxes of 30-06 150 gr last year and the first box I went thru was perfect. The next box I opened up not so much. Had a 3'x3' target at 150 yards and I had bullets not hitting it. Opened the third box and back to normal.

Comment

Seems QC on anything Remington has taken a major drop over the years....

Comment

If you haven't bought them in years, it's very possible that Remington changed the powder charge or the powder itself. I have never really noticed too big of a difference in "deformed" lead tips really affecting the accuracy out to several hundred yards with reloads (my partitions get deformed in the magazine on recoil). The corelokt is not a "precision" bullet, it's made to hold MOA or a little better groups and it kills very well.

Did you shoot the old for a group and then try the new and they wouldn't group? Or did you run out of the old? And then by new. I'm asking because if it still groups the old stuff but not the new I would say that Remington changed the recipe up on you.

My cousin's 06 loves the 220 grain corelokt and would wad then into a 3/4" group at 100 all day long; however, he bought a new box the other day and although they were cosmetically the same they shot poorly. Also I did notice that some of the loads were compressed and some not. Their QC may be going down hill.

Comment

Were the tips deformed like that out of the box or after being in the rifle magazine? It is not uncommon for soft tipped bullets like that to deform in the magazine as a result of recoil. It could also be that the box was banged up in handling before you bought it.

Also, were you able to resolve the issue of the bolt being hard to close of the .260? There might be an issue with the head spacing which could lead to high pressures when fired. This could also lead to poor grouping not to mention being potentially dangerous.

Comment

I was reading on a lever gun forum the other day and people were saying the same thing about remington's ammo going downhill

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                  Seems QC on anything Remington has taken a major drop over the years....
                  I'm afraid I think this is true.

Sika: that ammo looks really bad. Have you tried to talk to the store you bought the ammo from? I was talking to one of the managers at Academy the other day, and he was saying that he always encouraged customers to open the boxes of any ammo they were planning on buying to inspect the ammo before they purchased it. That's pretty rare as I've had other clerks get mad when customers open the ammo boxes up.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Never had any luck with them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Always had good luck with that ammo, it's all I used in several rifles of different caliber.

But the other day I bought a box of .22-250 and the lead tips were bent and scarred like those you showed us.

Call them on the phone or Email.

Ammunition Product Services 2592 Arkansas Hwy 15 N Lonoke, AR 72086 TEL: 1-501-676-3161

Consumer Services / Parts & Service TEL: 1-800-243-9700 Fax: 1-336-548-7801 Email / info@remington.com

Comment

Originally posted by UltraMax View Post
                        If you haven't bought them in years, it's very possible that Remington changed the powder charge or the powder itself.
                        X 2 ..... Remington uses surplus powder that is blended and fine tuned by their ballisticians. Recipe changes based on powder production availability

Comment

Originally posted by UltraMax View Post
                          If you haven't bought them in years, it's very possible that Remington changed the powder charge or the powder itself. I have never really noticed too big of a difference in "deformed" lead tips really affecting the accuracy out to several hundred yards with reloads (my partitions get deformed in the magazine on recoil). The corelokt is not a "precision" bullet, it's made to hold MOA or a little better groups and it kills very well.
                          I thought of that and maybe that's the issue. The first few shots with the new ammo were all over the place. I then shot two of the old rounds and they hit right next to each other but landed several inches to the left of the others.

were you able to resolve the issue of the bolt being hard to close of the .260? There might be an issue with the head spacing which could lead to high pressures when fired. This could also lead to poor grouping not to mention being potentially dangerous.

Bolt works well with the Remington ammo.

Anybody have any experience with Hornady Match Ammo in .260 Remington 130 Grain ELD ?

Comment

I switched from the Remington to Hornady American whitetail for my 7mm 08. Shoots great.

Comment

For years, Remington Core-Lokt was a "go to" off the shelf ammo for the person that did not reload. Around here, most people refer to it as core-junk. But, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone who uses it as I certainly used it years ago before I started reloading all of my own ammo. I wish I could tell you Sika what other factory ammo to try but since I reload all of mine I can't.
                              I do think you are on the right track in looking at the Hornady stuff, or others as well. Pick yourself up a box and take it out to the range and give it a go.

Comment

Working...
                              X