help with distance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help with distance

if I'm trying to learn how to determine distance to a target and can't use a range finder is there any advice or tips from anyone, I want to start shooting 3d and don't know how to get started other than guessing

I started out picturing a limo length for 10 yards it worked great for me!

Comment

ok I can see that, its those longer shot 50 yds plus that look great and they drop quick when you get out that far and beyond

Comment

Practice does help, but there are also some helpful tips in this fita field archery manual:

Start on pg. 28

Comment

Before I could afford a range finder, I measured out 3 feet, 6 feet, 9 feet and practiced stepping it over and over so that my foot step was close, very close to 1 yard.

Then, I would pick something to judge - a tree, mailbox, car, post, brown spot in the yard, estimate the distance and walk to it. When I got to the object, I looked back where I started and told myself the number I stepped off and studied the spatial span, repeating the number over and over to myself. It didn't take long to be very good at judging. Even now, I use a range finder instead of counting steps, but everything else is the same - I still practice it. And, while I'm not perfect, I'm pretty good.

Another thing you can do is help set up your local 3D club's targets. Our club has a planning sheet, noting where we want each colored stake from the target. With 6 stakes, I look at the sheet, go to the distance I think the stake should be and range it. By the time the shoot starts, I've judged 180 times, assuming each stake is at a different distance.

Comment

Before you go out blind and just start guessing I would suggest you find a 3d range get soccer cones and mark off 10yd increments from the target out to 50. This will give you a real feel of what the distance will look like and the targets as well. This is your base setting you may notice that what you see as 20 is really 22 etc. This is where you will gauge yourself on how you judge. You can do this with or without targets in any area. I would suggest doing this in narrow lanes and open spaces. Both of these will change your perception on distance. Search the internet find some other methods that people use. Try one or use a combination of methods it only has to make sense to you.

Comment

ok this gives me several things to try, I will read the fita archery manual also

Comment

Here's a little article we did on How to judge yardage

Comment

Every neighborhood has a little league diamond close by. Two options. Take a ball and throw it. Just lob it. 1st to 2nd (full size field) is 30 yards. 1st to 3rd is 42 yards. Pitchers mound to home is 22 yards.

So you have 3 known common distances in archery 20, 30, and 40 yards. Ingrain and visualize those three distances. If the Momfia will not call the cops when they see you with a bow, take a bag target out and practice those three shots in your sight window.

Once you master those and if you don't have an arrest record, measure 10, 20, 30 yards up the base line from 1st or 3rd, add 30 yards; and you have any distance you want. Works on foot ball fields too and maybe less attention.

Comment

Should have added this. By throwing the ball the distance, knowing the yardage; one trains their mind to visualize and recognize that distance. It is all about using one's motor skills to train the memory.

Comment

Go to a football field and get your angles down in 5 yard increments.

Comment

Originally posted by TejasNW View Post
                        Every neighborhood has a little league diamond close by. Two options. Take a ball and throw it. Just lob it. 1st to 2nd (full size field) is 30 yards. 1st to 3rd is 42 yards. Pitchers mound to home is 22 yards.

So you have 3 known common distances in archery 20, 30, and 40 yards. Ingrain and visualize those three distances. If the Momfia will not call the cops when they see you with a bow, take a bag target out and practice those three shots in your sight window.

Once you master those and if you don't have an arrest record, measure 10, 20, 30 yards up the base line from 1st or 3rd, add 30 yards; and you have any distance you want. Works on foot ball fields too and maybe less attention.

Not sue where your ball fields are but the pros only throw from 60 feet 6 inches. So from the mound to home is 20 yards. I shot a lot of indoor so I can recognize 20 yards pretty easy, then jump in 10 yard increments from there.
                        If you know what the max range is for your class, the longer targets are easy. Is it max? If not then go backwards until you get a good number.

Also use everything available to come up with a number. Base of a tree, hump in the lane, pile of limbs. Once you find an object that is a number you are comfortable with, the judge from that object to the target. It makes finding a number much easier than just using the ground and target size alone.

Comment

Practice!

Play golf!

Look at 30 and 40 yard targets A LOT!

Comment

ok guys a lot of stuff to try and all seem easy and helpful

Comment

Nothing helps like looking at 3D targets. I keep a large alert deer next to my bale. I never shoot it, but judge it before every shot from all yardages at which I practice. If there is a particular target that gives you trouble, place it by the bale also.

Comment

Working...
                              X