Texas Road Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Road Trip

The wife and I are planning a road trip.

The plan is to leave Houston, head to Austin, Fredericksburg, Abilene, Amarillo, Dallas, then back to Houston.

Things we are doing in each city

Austin- visiting sisters, eating at Franklins,

Fredericksburg-wineries and vineyards. Need a place to stay?

Abilene-I don't want to drive all the way to Amarillo so making a pit stop Need things to do and somewhere to stay?

Amarillo- Drive in Movie, Big Texan, Coyote Bluff, what else to do?

Dallas- My wife is from there. We should be able to find things to do.

Any ideas or suggestions? Any places we have to stop along that route?

Map of Trip

Thanks!

ttt

Comment

Sounds like a fun trip, no suggestions on what to do however...........

Comment

When in Amarillo, go to the Palo Duro Canyon SP and catch the play.

Comment

Stop in Brady and eat at Mac's BBQ.....Josh Abbott and his buddies reopened it last weekend...I went through and stopped there last Sunday...pretty good Q!

Comment

We stayed at the Fredericksburg Bakery which is a 3 suite bed and breakfast on Main street. All suites have access to a huge balcony that overlooks Main street. We had fun having a cocktail or two as we watched the pedestrians go up and down Main street. I would recommend the suite in the back next to the kitchen. We had the suite right on Main Street and the 18 wheelers go all night long on Main St which is highway 87.

It was a weekend, so Hondo's (a 4 block walk) has OK food, a live no cover band and a dance floor for two stepping. It appeared that a lot of locals go there.

While you're in the neighborhood, Luckenbach is not far. It's a good place to drink a beer or two along with the pulled pork hoagies they had the day we were there. You might be able to get a pic of your Mrs. riding a longhorn if they are there that day.

Another really neat activity is to take a wine-cheese-sandwich lunch with you as you climb to the top of Enchanted Rock. I think that rock is the 2nd largest granite batholith in the USA. Go early before it gets crowded. The view from the 400 ft plus top is pretty amazing.

Comment

Use vrbo.com for Fredricksburg options. Franklins is good but...we're in Texas and I ain't waiting an hour plus for BBQ. Good luck and safe driving.

Comment

Are you going to take the 72oz steak challenge when you're at Big Texan?

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                  When in Amarillo, go to the Palo Duro Canyon SP and catch the play.
                  That will be added to the list

Comment

Originally posted by WolfKat View Post
                    Are you going to take the 72oz steak challenge when you're at Big Texan?
                    Lol I would do it if it wasnt all the other stuff, potato salad and all that.

Comment

Just paint your car pink and plaster it with Obama and gun control bumper stickers. You will not have a boring trip!

Comment

I would also stop off in Waco then down to Benham to visit Blue Bell Ice cream. Or You could stop off a See Sam..... The Sam Houston Statue in Sam Houston National Forest on I-45 (Near Huntsville)

Comment

Working...
                        X