Curing a new smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curing a new smoker

Just picked up a smoker to take to the ranch and was wondering how y'all cure your smokers.

I'm following along I say rub oil and start a fire or two

Comment

I know about wiping down everything with veggie oil, just wondered what wood you guys prefer to cure with, I usually cook with mesquite and hickory

Comment

I just build a fire and let it smoke for a day or too.I also put a pan of water to make a steam to get the wood to hold smoke to the metal....

Comment

Both should work fine. Just get some fire in it and let it start smoking.

Comment

pam is easier than wiping oil, start a fairly large fire, let it burn, then shut the air off to it and let it smoke and smolder for hours. The initial heat gets the oil to stick and then the smoke sticks to the oil

Comment

I cured one by smoking 5 chickens in halves, then followed it with 10 slabs of baby backs! Didn't know you had to do anything special. Oops!

Comment

Lol

Comment

I like Cazadors style. We just did one by burning it for 12 hours and then smoking the fattiest cheapest piece of meat we could find for 12 hours. Never let the fire die. Next day cooked ribs and brisket. Turned out great.

Comment

Do not use Pam it has a lot of water in it, or any other can spray. Wipe entire pit down with canola or peanut oil, inside and out. They are most heat resistant oils. Pick up fat trimmings from local meat market usual they are free. Place fat across all grills and sliced onions as well with fat trimmings. Supposed to help seal poors of metal. Burn for 5 plus hrs hot. Good to go

Comment

Lay the fat strip thought the entire smoker or just the fire box?

Comment

Use spray oil, it gets in all the nooks and crannys, you can use lard/crisco on the grill

Comment

rub it down with olive oil and smoke it at 250 for several hours.

Comment

Here's a link that explains how to cure and care for a smoker.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleGProstaff View Post
                              ... just wondered what wood you guys prefer to cure with, I usually cook with mesquite and hickory
                              I prefer Hickory. Can't beat it IMHO

Comment

Working...
                              X