Taxidermy and broadhead question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxidermy and broadhead question

I’m going on a blackbuck hunt next week and want to know how hard is to cover or sew up a hole from a rage 2.3” in the cape. I understand BBs are short haired so I’m thinking it’d be better to stick with my tried and true 3 blade muzzy. On the black Hawaiian ram I plan to take I feel more comfortable shooting him with the rage since the hair is way thicker and will be easier to cover up.

So question 1, am I thinking right in my broadhead selections for these hunts? (not asking for which broadhead you use and prefer, other than these 2)

And question 2, if I were to use the big rage on the BB, would it be hard to make that big gash unnoticeable?

And I’m talking shoulder mounts here. And any pics you can share of taxidermy work where they sewed up broadhead holes, would be appreciated.

1. Use what your confident in, I’d use the rage for both.... those little dudes are quick, that bigger cut gives you a bigger margin if he wants to try and do the matrix on you

2. I’m not sure, but I’m sure if you have a good taxi you wouldn’t be able to tell

Comment

Me thinks you are putting the cart before the horse but I wouldn't be concerned with the hole. Any decent taxi will be able to fix it. Shoot what you shoot best. Good luck.

Comment

If you hit one behind the shoulder and you want a standard shoulder mount you should not need to worry. With that being said the taxidermist should be able to trim and stitch a hole.

Comment

Ok thanks guys. That’s all I needed to know.

Comment

Shoot it in the *** with the rage, then you won't have to worry about the hole in your shoulder mount

Pretty sure a good taxi can cover up a broadhead cut. I'm sure there are some stories that can be told about the things they have repaired to salvage a cape.

Comment

A straight single cut is much easier to sew up and hides better than the four blade cut. Either way can be fixed though.

Comment

Originally posted by Txbownut View Post
                Me thinks you are putting the cart before the horse but I wouldn't be concerned with the hole. Any decent taxi will be able to fix it. Shoot what you shoot best. Good luck.
                Not with bowonly, he drops deer at 55 yards with his bow. Good Luck out there Lee, and give Lynn Dunham a call, he's a very good taxi look him up, his prices are going up but are still low for the quality/////. Mr Lynns taxidermy is the business name I believe.
                Last edited by forest-hunter; 04-09-2018, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Worry about the taxi work after you recover your animal!

Comment

I would use the Rage.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by forest-hunter View Post
                      Not with bowonly, he drops deer at 55 yards with his bow. Good Luck out there Lee, and give Lynn Dunham a call, he's a very good taxi look him up, his prices are going up but are still low for the quality/////. Mr Lynns taxidermy is the business name I believe.
                      Haha. It was 51 but I got lucky. And thanks for the advice.

And to those of you saying recover your animal first, I’m definitely not saying it’s a for sure thing. Nothing in hunting is. Just thinking ahead is all. I’ve got two rams at a taxidermist I’ve heard great things about but just wanted to see other people’s opinions, maybe with more experience than me in the shoulder mounting dept. because I don’t have any yet. Thanks again for all the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by BO-N-ARO View Post
                        If you hit one behind the shoulder and you want a standard shoulder mount you should not need to worry. With that being said the taxidermist should be able to trim and stitch a hole.
                        This.

But if you're still worried, take a hard quartering away shot and do a wall pedestal with the offside shoulder to the wall.

Comment

Working...
                        X