help with cattle vaccinations..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help with cattle vaccinations..

I'm new to ranching, and bought 2 cows last fall.

Just completed my working pen/headgate install this last weekend, so i'm ready to work them.

Ordered tags to mark the cows, and put fly tags on them.

Question.... 2 year old cow, and 6 month old calf. what vaccinations do I need to give, when, where (injection site) and how often? they have had NOTHING to date, but are fat and healthy.

Also, when do I worm them and how often?

Find a large animal vet in your area and have them come out to your farm to show you a few things.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
      Find a large animal vet in your area and have them come out to your farm to show you a few things.
      Good advice. It will cost a little now but in the long run it's gonna save you a lot.

Comment

I load mine up and take them to the vet every year. $25 a head for the works. I only have four head though.

Comment

Black leg and triangle four on the calf. Only thing we give grown cows is the occasional Ivomec if they look wormy and fly spray.

I inject em wherever I can, usually loose skin between shoulder and neck a few inches from the spine.

We vaccinate calves every 3 months until we sell them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
          Last edited by apkleinschmidt; 02-21-2018, 01:42 PM.

Comment

I always give a 7 way or 8 way, vibe shield and wormer according to size twice a year. If I caught cattle for any reason between working them I always have another spray of wormer. To Cheap not to while their penned. Read on label for subQ or intermuscular type of shot. Give shots in neck.

Comment

Ivomec pour on for wormer. Takes care of skin lice too.

Comment

I switch between 7 way and 8 way make sure they get the black leg also.

Comment

thanks for the info ya'll! someone messaged me and said covexin 8 and triangle 10 once a year.... can you store the pour on wormer in a barn? I don't have a temp regulated place to store anything at the ranch...

Comment

I give all my cows a lepto booster every year. Too cheap not to and to prevent the major cause of aborted calves in cattle makes sense.

Comment

Where are you located? I'd dang sure black leg them and go with local vet recommendations

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigWoods View Post
                        I give all my cows a lepto booster every year. Too cheap not to and to prevent the major cause of aborted calves in cattle makes sense.
                        Psst. He didn't mention a bull.

Comment

king, my ranch is in robert lee. no trailer at the moment to haul them into town, or else I would.

100 acres and they are the only two animals on it at this moment. pretty sure cow is knocked up by my neighbors bull, so I want to make sure i'm doing right.

Comment

May be good to talk to local vet, they could help you develop a annual vaccination plan and help you with selection of med/vaccine.
                            A good start could be to vaccinate for blacleg includes tetani-covexin8 is a good one , BRVD-respiratory- Triangle is a good brand I prefer the killed virus over modified live virus and pour on Ivomec (generic brand can be cheaper and works well )
                            Remember consulting with your vet can give a great advantage on gaining knowledge of what you can do to help keep your cattle in good health. Buying meds/vaccines Thru veterinarian you can still work your cattle on your own at your place, they also give you advice on where to place injections of med/vaccines etc
                            Hope this helps you, good luck on your herd
                            Last edited by ReydonPete; 02-21-2018, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Be careful if your calf is a 6 month old heifer calf and your 2 year old cow got "knocked up" the last thing you want is a 9/10 month old bred heifer. You may be back down to one cow in your herd.

Comment

Working...
                              X