Low down on elk on public land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
    Off topic but i love the springtime elk threads. Lol. Watch how many guys are all about going right now compared to how many end up going. That’s why I started hunting solo. Everyone is ready to go until it’s time to actually make the plans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same issue that seems to pop up with everyone I talk to. Seems like everyone likes to talk about going until it's time to actually prep for the trip. I am trying to get out there this year. Would like to set up a base camp and hunt 2-3 days away from it. Any recommendations for a solo first timer would be highly appreciated

Originally posted by Redbone View Post
    ^^ this exactly. I went went with one hunting buddy for 12 days otc for 1k. So it's definitely doable. That was tent camping. I did the trip cheap as possible. Bought a cheap pack frame from eBay and just used all my regular hunting and camping gear. I've always heard your boots are the most important part but I will be the odd one out on boots. I brought three different pair and ended up hunting in my lacrosse non-insulated rubber boots for 10 days with no problem, but they do fit me perfect. The hardest part to me is finding a hunting partner that won't back out before the trip. I was also lucky enough to kill a bull with my bow.
    Please elaborate on the spotting scope. Is it needed but no need for the high dollar stuff or just not needed? What units would you suggest for a first timer solo hunter? Any and all info is highly appreciated

Comment

If you're elk hunting in thick country, a spotting scope would be unnecessary weight in my opinion. A good scope could be useful for identifying a big bull in open country.

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
        If you're elk hunting in thick country, a spotting scope would be unnecessary weight in my opinion. A good scope could be useful for identifying a big bull in open country.

I’ve never taken a spotting scope on a elk hunt. I can spot elk with my 10x42. And I don’t need to count points. Once I see them I’m going after them no matter how big they are.

Comment

I agree. When I see elk, I go try to kill one.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
            I've been going opening week of archery otc 4 of the last 5 years and have shot two bulls and 2 cows. The man who heads the group I go with is 67, so at your age it's absolutely doable, unless you're just way out of shape. We have a base camp then use atv's/utv's to get to trailheads to walk in. Some of our hunting areas are 15 miles from camp, some are 2 miles...... The elk we hunt are "Resident" elk and we're at around 8-9k ft. Water holes are good locations that time of year, the problem is finding the ones well off the road and ones you can't see on Google Earth
            this

find resident elk where the elevations are topped at like 8500 and you can do it otc in colorado or nm
            otherwise with a bum back you will be in for a rude awakening at high elevations. Good luck

Comment

I’ve never taken a spotting scope on a elk hunt. I can spot elk with my 10x42. And I don’t need to count points. Once I see them I’m going after them no matter how big they are.

X2 hell I don’t even bring my bino’s most the time. Ranger finder is 7x

In NM I brought my bino’s, but Idaho and CO, not much point where I hunt, normally ends up wasted weight

Comment

I run my 12x's on a tripod. It will blow your mind how much better you can pick apart a hillside with a tripod and 12x's.

Comment

Following this. I have an invite to hunt southern Colorado this year with guys who do it every year. Seems like they always get a cow at least with archery gear so this will be the year for trying something I've always wanted to do. Time to get after it. I need to stretch the Mathews out to 70 yards or so sounds like.

Comment

Cost depends on a number of things:

Are you camping and hunting from the trailhead or from your vehicle?
                    Are you packing in on foot or renting a horse(s)?
                    How well do you want to eat?
                    How do you plan to get water?

For me:
                    I pack in either on foot or with horses. It generally costs $500 to rent a horse up there.

I have probably $1200 worth of quality gear not including boots, rifle/bow and clothing.

I figure on spending around $1000 on the trip, not including the cost of the tag.

I only hunt primitive units, so you have to walk or ride horses. No wheeled vehicle are allowed.

A DIY elk hunt is no joke. There are always exceptions to the rule, but, If you want a greater chance at being successful you have to get remote. A GPS will save your life. It has saved me once already.

Comment

Weather you get drawn, buy otc or private land you need to have multiple plans for the ground you are hunting. You can scout the unit and come up with the best plan for your hunt based on that info but once opening morning comes things change. Have multiple plans and don't linger in one plan to long if you are not seeing elk.

Comment

Elk Hunting In Wyoming (near Kaycee)

I used a guide in Wyoming... to hunt Elk on Private land.... That being said, working out is only one piece of the puzzle. It was the altitude that hit me the hardest. My legs and body were in shape for a 57 year; but, at 9000 feet breathing is hard for someone from Texas.

Also, be careful not to dress the same as you would in Texas. For lower body, a layer or two less to allow for comfortable walking/hiking. Otherwise, you'll feel like the Pillsbury doughboy and will be uncomfortable.

In preparation of this hunt, over the prior years, I kept getting heavier and heavier arrows. I sold/traded in my 2011 bow and bought TWO of the same bow to ensure consistency in the setup, arrows, etc... to mitigate issues in the field. I was 2 1/2 or more hours from the nearest archery shop.

For my September 2017 hunt; I shot 495 grain arrows at 267 feet/sec and my arrow buried itself three inches into the ground after double lunging the Elk. I extensively tested fixed blade broad heads in my back yard (out to 55 yards) and found that Viper Trick by Slick was the best for me.

I shot my Bull at 45 yards, on the last day and the last hunt before an ice storm hit.... and God provided a 335 class ELK..... I love my Mathews Halon 32-6

Last point of advice. If you kill a bull and want the ship the meat home; be sure to put insurance on the meat that is well worth the value. Otherwise, you'll get no more than $100 for the carrier totally destroying your meat....
                        Attached Files

Comment

Sicilian that's a great picture and a beautiful bull. Congratulations to you for successfully taking an elk like that with your bow. Makes me want to do this all that much more. Wow!

Comment

Wilderness areas make up a very small amount of elk habitat and in some areas get hunted harder than non wilderness in Wyoming.

Cow tags are reduced price and a good way to get to know an area and bring home some meat.

Comment

Try to go with some one who has mountain experience. Good gps. Just go.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Hunter View Post
                                Gone the last 4 yrs DIY, public with a partner averages 1200-1600 depending upon gas cost and processing fees if you get one. Also we have aquired the gear we need. Last year was 1300. We cook and freeze all evening meals pretrip. Hunt out of a campsite and generally do 8-10 miles a day. I am 58. You have to get in shape period. If you smoke cigarettes forget about it. Was doing 4 miles a night 5 nites a week with 54 lb pack the last two months before the trip. Takes want to and comittment. If you are out of shape you let your hunting partners down. Do it!! I plan to go every year from now on as long as I can do it
                                Good info here!

You need to be realistic on the hunt. Just finding elk can take days and many miles. First get a game plan on what you want to do:

1. Drive a truck up a NFR and camp beside road
                                2. Drive truck with 4-wheelers on trailer and hunt off 4-wheelers
                                3. Backpack into more remote area on your back or horses
                                4. Or combo of some sort of the above

You need a real good tent first and foremost so you can get out of the weather. You may take something light backpacking but if the weather gets bad and your forced to return to the truck it is nice to have a big tent set up to hang clothes up and dry off. I would plan on 10 days to 14 days minimum if possible too.

Look at it as a camping trip. Heck I wouldn't necessaary buy a tag until I found elk, Find a nice place to camp and start looking for elk. I like to be on water so we can fish and take a shower.

Pace yourself don't get there and run up the mountain the first day. Scout close and then move farther away or move to a different location.

As someone said earlier elk are where you find them! And yes get in shape!!

Comment

Working...
                                X