No announcement yet.

Low down on elk on public land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've gone OTC the last two year,s and I figured it was right at 1200 due to the extra toys i bought to play with.. then found I did not need them, etc. (Spotting Scope, Tripod, Upgraded Binocs, Fancy Food, etc.) I'm probably going to do a left over cow tag this year, as I just don't see a quality bull materializing, and want to sink my teeth into some elk meat.

You need to go into the venture realizing that the odds of getting a elk are slim via OTC - DIY, and no experience.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
      I have seen a few show guys like Newberg use them. Are these legit? I spoke to one guy last night and he uses it.

He stated it tells him within a few feet he is crossing onto private land (criminal trespass). Does this sound accurate? Thanks,

Sold our GPS I just use my phone. You don't have to have service. There are several good Gps apps.

Comment

Originally posted by huntingfanatic View Post
        Sold our GPS I just use my phone. You don't have to have service. There are several good Gps apps.

Guess I need to sell my gps. I won’t ever use it again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
          Guess I need to sell my gps. I won’t ever use it again

I keep min in the truck,

Just run Onxmaps app and Inreach on my phone.

Onx layers make it heads and shoulders above all chips.

Comment

Originally posted by shark79 View Post
            Horses are the only way I'll do it at 42 or 62. Packing elk out 5 miles ain't for sissies.
            Totally agree with this! An over the counter hunt is going to accede 1000 considerably especially when you factor in the cost of horse rental hay etc. Imo it's the best way to get up the mountain for people that are out of shape or disabled.
            Once you get up there you can get around fairly easy.

Comment

I have the Onx application on my phone and their card in my Garmin GPS. A phone can go dead pretty fast when you're playing off in the woods. Just replace a couple AA batteries and the GPS is going again.

Comment

Why not buy a PP for Wyoming next summer then come up here for a hunt. Less people and just as many elk.
                In 20+ years of elk hunting we have never used horses for packing in or out. Just don't shoot one where you can't get it out.
                Initial cost for a DIY can be tough for tents and camp equipment but once bought you can use it for all kinds of hunting and camping experiences.
                A decent pack is necessary but an expensive one is not. Just a good pack frame for hauling quarters. If you can carry 50 lbs you can hunt elk. At 55 and 52 we're still at it, just hunting smarter these days.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                  Why not buy a PP for Wyoming next summer then come up here for a hunt. Less people and just as many elk.
                  In 20+ years of elk hunting we have never used horses for packing in or out. Just don't shoot one where you can't get it out.
                  Initial cost for a DIY can be tough for tents and camp equipment but once bought you can use it for all kinds of hunting and camping experiences.
                  A decent pack is necessary but an expensive one is not. Just a good pack frame for hauling quarters. If you can carry 50 lbs you can hunt elk. At 55 and 52 we're still at it, just hunting smarter these days.
                  You can't hunt wilderness as a Non Res which is a deal breaker for me. Going to save up points and shoot something big there in 10 years with an outfitter.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                    FYI, if you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me. We are backpacking 8 days in Colorado this year, either first or second rifle. There is tons of public info for finding elk out there already, including CPW website that show resident elk herds and migration patterns.

Gohunt and onx maps are your friends too, and well worth the cost.
                    Will do and thanks. I have had several texts on guys heading to Colorado and a few that have been. I am taking notes. Lots of really good info on this thread as well.

Listened to one of Newbergs podcasts where he breaks down each state out west and how points, bonus points, resident etc. work. Pretty informative as there is a TON of stuff to absorb.

Comment

Off topic but i love the springtime elk threads. Lol. Watch how many guys are all about going right now compared to how many end up going. That’s why I started hunting solo. Everyone is ready to go until it’s time to actually make the plans

Comment

^^ this exactly. I went went with one hunting buddy for 12 days otc for 1k. So it's definitely doable. That was tent camping. I did the trip cheap as possible. Bought a cheap pack frame from eBay and just used all my regular hunting and camping gear. I've always heard your boots are the most important part but I will be the odd one out on boots. I brought three different pair and ended up hunting in my lacrosse non-insulated rubber boots for 10 days with no problem, but they do fit me perfect. The hardest part to me is finding a hunting partner that won't back out before the trip. I was also lucky enough to kill a bull with my bow.

Comment

$1,000 for non-resident is a really good number to start with. Based on what you've shared, you will need a hunting partner with you to assist with the dressing and packing out the game.

I've been hunting annually in areas including and around Unit 23 since I was 19. I'm 50 now. There is some good BLM hunting land if you know the area and are prepared to cover some territory on foot.

Good Luck!

Comment

It can be done for around $1,000 if you have a few guys to split the costs.

$600 Tag
                            $250 Gas
                            $100 Food/Camp Supplies
                            $50 Celebratory Booze

I don't really count camping/hunting gear in my annual cost since it is used multiple years and purchased by different members of our group.

Comment

I was 40 and 42 when I went on my 2 guided Montana elk hunts - that state will kick your butt! I worked all summer to get into shape, and the first day I realized I wasn't. The good thing was after 8 days I finally was in shape! I took an elk each trip with a bow.

I was 50 and 51 when I did 2 back to back Colorado elks hunts - 1st with a bow, 2nd trip I had a muzzleloader permit and took an elk with the muzzleloader. The Colorado terrain was much tamer than Montana. Good luck, you should have started getting into shape last summer!

Comment

Following for info. I was up in Valles Caldera in New Mexico for work a couple of weeks ago. Just fell in love with the place. Beautiful and wildlife everywhere. I talked to some of the locals about hunting. A couple said if I get drawn, they would take me. Got to make this happen. Oh and I'm 49 with back problems as well. LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X