Taking Up a New Hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking Up a New Hobby

I retired a couple of years ago and I've decided to take up hand loading. Fortunately, I have a friend that is well versed in long range competition shooting and has been hand loading for years. He's ordering all the parts and pieces for me and once it's all here and setup, he'll train me in the process. He helped my Daughter-in-Law with ordering a custom .260 so eventually I'll be working up hand loads for her plus loads for the rifles my son and I own.

My friend spent a couple of days with us helping me put this stuff together and on the lay out of the benches and tool cabinet/cleaning station. The presses, powder measure, scales and other stuff is on order. In the meantime I'm adding more lighting and power outlets. I'm just getting started so here is what we've done so far.

Storage cabinet and gun cleaning station.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1749.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	25138270

Hand loading bench.

Name:	IMG_1750.JPG
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	25138271

Storage shelf.

Name:	IMG_1751.JPG
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	25138272

Looking good. I started several months ago and I have quickly learned I need to make some shelving for all the components and supplies I have acquired. My bench is a wreck right now!

Comment

Good starting place! In for updates

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Your area looks way better than mine!

Comment

Glad you have a room dedicated to it Bob. Your gonna be thankful you did. It's addicting.

Comment

Put a mat down under your press. You’ll never get that carpet clean when you start depriming. I learned the hard way haha

Comment

Where did you find the bench and roll-about drawers? I’m moving my reloading area into another room and I’m looking for a prefab bench that might work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Got the rolling tool cabinet and benches at Sam’s Club. Benches and rolling cabinet seem to be good quality. Fit and finish is good, all the holes lined up with no parts missing or shortage of hardware. The rolling tool cabinet took several hours to assemble. One 6 ft and one 4 ft bench both have heavy real wood tops. I added the backstops. When I looked at what I’d spend on wood to make a 10 ft bench I decided to buy prefabricated.

Comment

Those are nice. I didn’t the craftsman kits from sears with the upgraded butcher block tops. I gotta say yours might be nicer. I like them a lot!!

Comment

Have the same bench, got it at Sams. Actually have one in the garage as well

Comment

Originally posted by Japeatr View Post
                      Have the same bench, got it at Sams. Actually have one in the garage as well
                      Did you have to anchor your bench to the wall or floor?

Comment

Looks like you’re ready to go. I need a new hobby like a hole in the head, but I’m always looking

Comment

Haven't made a lot of progress with my new hobby. Finally got LED lighting installed and it really made a difference. 12,000 additional lumens! May be able to see it from space. Got the benches securely anchored and added a bottom shelf to the benches.

I mounted my cleaning rod holder and a drip pan. I've cleaned a few rifles and the cleaning station really works well. Makes it a whole lot easier.

Right now I'm using the room to laminated nametags for Bownanza. The LED lighting is great for making nametags.

Name:	Gun Room lights.JPG
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	24533800

Name:	Cleaning rodsb.JPG
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	24533801

Comment

great looking set-up!