X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6+

Comment

Originally posted by MisterSanders View Post
      /\ not true. You need more practice, waaaay more.
      you are right - I know nothing about aging deer so I will start practicing immediately

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
        There was a 200# 10 pt killed on our lease in Angelina County last week. And, he was only 3.5 yo.

Did not meet club minimum of 4.5.

Hard to judge that 3.5-4.5 gap.

They aged him on tooth wear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post

Yes. Biologist and one of the scorers from our lease.

I have one showing up regularly in one of my areas that any other lease or year I would take him. He came within twenty yards of me Saturday chasing does. Just too close to call on our lease.

If he does not measure up I lose my cull tag and pay $250. Besides, I would rather be safe and hope he makes it to next season. It is nice knowing some leases in East Tx want to let them grow. You just have to hope he does not show up at a neighbor's property.
          Last edited by Bayouboy; 10-16-2017, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Yes. Biologist and one of the scorers from our lease.

I have one showing up regularly in one of my areas that any other lease or year I would take him. He came within twenty yards of me Saturday chasing does. Just too close to call on our lease.

If he does not measure up I lose my cull tag and pay $250. Besides, I would rather be safe and hope he makes it to next season. It is nice knowing some leases in East Tx want to let them grow. You just have to hope he does not show up at a neighbor's property.
            Man they would be a tough one for me to swallow but I guess you know the rules when you sign up. The tooth deal just isn't accurate enough for me to risk fines and loss of tags over.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
              Man they would be a tough one for me to swallow but I guess you know the rules when you sign up. The tooth deal just isn't accurate enough for me to risk fines and loss of tags over.

Yup! Exactly. I'd pull his front tooth and send it off to be cut for $25 then pay my fine from there if I was wrong. I understand and am all for accountability and even fines.... but not off tooth wear, it's just too inconsistent

Comment

Who and where do you send a tooth off to? And, is it a front or rear tooth? Maybe better to send one side of the bottom jawbone?

Comment

I'd say he's post-mature. But knowing that he took an arrow thru the backstraps and kept walking I might be inclined to say that his older look could be attributed to the injury.

Just shoot him and let's find out

Comment

Everyone who says there are no deer or no big deer in East Texas is either just not a good hunter, lazy, or both. If you get out in the woods and put in the time to scout and get off the beaten trail, you will see deer. If your patient and know what your doing you can not only see a lot of deer, but you may get a giant.

Comment

Tough call, could easily be one of those hard to judge post mature deer. My first impression when I saw the pic was post mature. I've hunted and managed deer in Sour Lake for years so I have a lot of experience looking at these Hardin County bucks. When I'm not sure on one I start looking for the old battle scars. Torn up ears, neck and face scars. Hard to get to 7+ without the scars.

Comment

Who and where do you send a tooth off to? And, is it a front or rear tooth? Maybe better to send one side of the bottom jawbone?
                        best place is a lab in Burnet - I forget the name but google it - just send the front lower tooth

Comment

We are experts in deer aging. Call (512) 756-1989 for accurate and verifiable forensic cementum annuli deer aging. Wildlife Analytical Labs has been getting it right since 2004.

Results in my experience are at about 50% when aging on tooth wear alone, the other 50% the tooth wear was wrong. We've done about 20 deer so far in the last few years. Oldest buck was 10.5, oldest doe so far has been 13.5

Comment

3-4, hard to tell with injury.

Comment

http://www.deerage.com

Results in my experience are at about 50% when aging on tooth wear alone, the other 50% the tooth wear was wrong. We've done about 20 deer so far in the last few years. Oldest buck was 10.5, oldest doe so far has been 13.5

posted it here before but there was a study done with deer of known ages and 5 or 6 very experienced biologist aged them by tooth wear - results of the aging with two years of the actual ages was what you mentioned - 50 percent range.

Also read where the lab testing results were quite a bit higher - not perfect but much better than tooth wear

Comment

Originally posted by TKK View Post
                                posted it here before but there was a study done with deer of known ages and 5 or 6 very experienced biologist aged them by tooth wear - results of the aging with two years of the actual ages was what you mentioned - 50 percent range.

Also read where the lab testing results were quite a bit higher - not perfect but much better than tooth wear

I agree with what you said. I think cutting the teeth it's 85-90%, I know they say it somewhere on that website.

Comment

Working...
                                X