No announcement yet.

Boat launch etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As stated previously, just get there earlier or go during the week. Something else to consider is the late afternoon/evening bite, which is pretty underrated. I've had some really good trips fishing from late afternoon to sunset.

Just be patient and share the water. You know it's a pain in the rear to launch in the summer time. What's also funny is a lot of people that complain about launch etiquette at some point have been the rookie or may even currently be doing something themselves that makes others mad.

With that said, my biggest pet peeve is the people that decide to fish right at the boat launch and get upset when you have to drive past them to get in or out. I've run right through people's lines because they were too stupid to reel them up. What do they want me to do? I have to idle past them to get to the ramp.

Comment

The perfect 10 boat launch story. My mother loved to fish and I would make it a point to take her out when we had a chance. She talked dad into going on one of the trips to check out my new bass boat. I had Wed and Thur off so usally had the boat ramps to myself. I had been out on Conroe Wed and took mom and dad back on Thurs. I used to always untie the boat back down until the the back floated and push the boat off by hand with a rope and pull to the side or dock. So to the story I had my routine down mom and dad are standing on the dock as I back down the ramp. I see the boat start to slide on the wet bunks from the day before and instead of dropping the boat on the ramp I hit the gas in an attempt to keep the trailer under the boat. It works and I keep the boat off the concrete but as the boat and trailer hit the water I hit the brakes and the boat does a force full launch into the water. I get out of the truck and watch the boat go about 25yrds and make a slight turn and stop. There is no wind and the boat is just sitting there. I look around and there is know one around to help retrieve my new bass boat a drift. My dad can't help himself and asked is this how you normally do it. I strip down to just my jeans and swim out and get my boat. I went up to the truck and put on some dry pants and we are off. As we idle around the boat slips there are two of my buddys in their boat pitching under the dock not 100 yrds from the ramp. I had to laugh and stop and tell them the story. Now days I loosen the strap but keep her attached to the trailer. I know if this would of accurred at the Fishing Center in POC I would of received solid 10's from the bleachers.

Last year a friend of mine had waxed his bunks to help with lauching. We were pulling around to launch my boat at the Fishing Center POC and found he had dropped his boat on the ramp. We helped get it back on the trailer. It looked like a Nascar Pit Stop we were'nt on the ramp long. His boat suffered minor scratches but bent the prop and skeg. Oh and we received 10's.

Comment

I winterized my boat Memorial Day weekend, and put it up for the summer.

Comment

One more time for good measure. TURN OFF YOUR DANGED HEADLIGHTS WHEN YOU ARE BACKING DOWN THE RAMP AT NIGHT!

Comment

People in general drive like idiots. What makes you think they would do better at boating?

Comment

Originally posted by 76aggie View Post
              One more time for good measure. TURN OFF YOUR DANGED HEADLIGHTS WHEN YOU ARE BACKING DOWN THE RAMP AT NIGHT!
              I don't own a boat. What's the deal with the headlights?

Comment

Originally posted by bdchorn View Post
                Blinds anyone above them but honestly none of the things mentioned so far are a big deal. Never seen anyone get as worked up as fishermen during an outing for some fun haha. Well maybe duck hunters

Comment

Originally posted by bdchorn View Post
                  You are blinding the other guy trying to back in beside you. Turn off your headlights because most ramps are lit well enough to see and leave on your parking lights so you can be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Mesquite Archer View Post
                    You are blinding the other guy trying to back in beside you. Turn off your headlights because most ramps are lit well enough to see and leave on your parking lights so you can be seen.
                    Makes sense. Thx

Comment

I'm going fishing I don't want my trip to start off badly.

I usually try and help people with problems or just wait the extra time. I can load and unload my boat better then a lot of folks with help but a lot of folks don't fish as much as me and just struggle a little with the "rules"

Comment

It floors me how some of you guys are suggesting that new boat owners only fish/load unload during the week or on the evenings. Some people live 3 to 3.5 hours from where there boat is stored, or they work during the week, so this is not an option. But at the end of the day we all just want to enjoy a weekend of fishing, and that is the word...enjoy. Everyone just needs to calm down and realize that we are all out on the water to do the same thing (minus the crazy drunk people), to enjoy what God has given us and fish.

When we first got our boat, I was that person that could not back up, and it took me a couple of tries..well you know what, yelling or getting mad at that person does not help. Wait 5 minutes or if you are in that big of a hurry, offer NICELY to help the person.

Now not turning your lights off and loading all your gear is just rude, that has nothing to do with practice.

Comment

And most important, prior to putting your boat in the water, unstrap it from the trailer. But it was funny watching you try to figure out, why you couldn't back off your trailer.
                          Saw a brand new 32' Sea Ray cabin cruiser (still had dealer plates) roll down a steep ramp at Lake Conroe after the driver unstrapped and tapped his brakes backing down the ramp.

*bounce* bounce* roll*roll* roll*

it was sick

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiechick View Post
                            It floors me how some of you guys are suggesting that new boat owners only fish/load unload during the week or on the evenings. Some people live 3 to 3.5 hours from where there boat is stored, or they work during the week, so this is not an option. But at the end of the day we all just want to enjoy a weekend of fishing, and that is the word...enjoy. Everyone just needs to calm down and realize that we are all out on the water to do the same thing (minus the crazy drunk people), to enjoy what God has given us and fish.

When we first got our boat, I was that person that could not back up, and it took me a couple of tries..well you know what, yelling or getting mad at that person does not help. Wait 5 minutes or if you are in that big of a hurry, offer NICELY to help the person.

Now not turning your lights off and loading all your gear is just rude, that has nothing to do with practice.
                            Well said

Comment

I live on the coast and fish Matagorda, Port O Conner area every week. #1 problem is teach your wife to back down the boat and it will be much easier and faster. Or load,unload the boat. Don't try and teach her at a busy ramp. Always ends the same way"Get outta there and let me do it".And couple is mad before they fish. Makes for a long day. If you see someone having problems, help them out. Life's too short to get pizzed off and just watch. Help them.

Comment

Originally posted by KNEE DEEP View Post
                                I live on the coast and fish Matagorda, Port O Conner area every week. #1 problem is teach your wife to back down the boat and it will be much easier and faster. Or load,unload the boat. Don't try and teach her at a busy ramp. Always ends the same way"Get outta there and let me do it".And couple is mad before they fish. Makes for a long day. If you see someone having problems, help them out. Life's too short to get pizzed off and just watch. Help them.
                                This X2

So much easier if you have someone that can back up a trailer and someone else that can be on the boat ready to start the engine and back her off.

It amazes me how many people that are terrible at backing up a trailer. Just hook up the boat and go to an empty parking lot one day. Most people will be an expert after a half hour of practice.

Comment

Working...
                                X