No announcement yet.

Why no open carry during bow season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have my chl, I rely on the castle doctrine for most of my carry and then there's times when I decide to be an outlaw but if need be ill deal with that choice when the time comes. As for carrying during bow season I keep mine in my pack just in case, you never know when an E Tx yeti monster (not to be confused with the ice making machine) will jump out and I'll have to revert back to my CQB training. Anyways I personally think the law is about as ridiculous as having a limit to the length of a shotgun barrel but you can buy a 410 judge over the counter and its legal wth sense does that make?

Comment

The law says hunting a game animal. If you were hunting pigs, why couldnt you do it?

Comment

So is it lawful to also have a rifle with you during archery only season if I am also hunting hogs?

NOTE: A firearm may be possessed in camp, in a motor vehicle, or while hunting lawful game other than whitetail or mule deer and turkey (e.g., exotics, feral hogs, squirrels).

Comment

Originally posted by krisw View Post
          The law says hunting a game animal. If you were hunting pigs, why couldnt you do it?
          I don't think pigs are considered a "Game animal" by texas parks and wildlife

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
            I don't think pigs are considered a "Game animal" by texas parks and wildlife
            That's what I was getting at. If you were setting in a pop up on sept 29 legitimately hog hunting and you had a bow because you wanted to shoot one up close and an ar15 to shoot one that was 100yds away, by the letter of the law it would be legal. Correct? I'm curious since we have started this discussion.

Comment

Take action. Start a petition. Call your representative. Start a blog. Start a movement.

Until then, the only way around it is to obtain your right to carry, concealed. You know CHL.

Comment

Originally posted by KeeganNotSansaba View Post
                I don't have CHL....carry concealed year round....
                that doesn't count!

Comment

Man you guys like to sweat stuff. Put a pistol in your bag and be happy.

Season is a week away.

Relax.

Have some mind eraser.

If it makes you feel better, stop by Academy on your way home today and get some more Zombie max.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1d.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	24118356

Come on bow season!

Comment

Thanks Leggy...Moser and I ware just talking about how we missed your lady pics....

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiakk View Post
                      Good point. Sucks you aren't allowed to have protection while hunting.

Snakes are the last reason for me to have a pistol. I'm more worried about 2 legged critters.
                      who said you can't...get a CHL

Comment

No debating it is a stupid law. There are tons of stupid laws out there. It's stupid to have an open container law when driving drunk is already outlawed. The law serves no purpose. Same situation, trying to prevent somebody from breaking a law instead of catching and punishing them when they do. All blue laws are stupid. There is no legitimate reason I can't buy beer at 11:59 on Sunday morning but I can buy beer at 12:01 (2 whole minutes later).

The list can go on an on about stupid laws that shouldn't be. The bottom line is you have 3 choices. Obey the law and stfu, obey the law until you can get it changed or break the law. In this case I will choose to break the law. My safety when hunting is more important than this law to me. I've told gamewardens to their face (while dove hunting) that I do and will continue to carry a pistol with me to the stand during bow season. Of course the gamewarden agreed it was a stupid law and would never ticket anybody for it.

Comment

Cali has the same law.

Oregon you can, a few years ago the state legislation determined that ODFW did not have the authority to restrict possession of a gun, only to regulate what weapon you hunt with. As such, you can carry while bowhunting, or muzzleloader hunting..

Comment

Originally posted by krisw View Post
                            That's what I was getting at. If you were setting in a pop up on sept 29 legitimately hog hunting and you had a bow because you wanted to shoot one up close and an ar15 to shoot one that was 100yds away, by the letter of the law it would be legal. Correct? I'm curious since we have started this discussion.
                            no!!! according to the law, if you are going to bowhunt anything with BROADHEADS during the archery only season, you can't have a firearm with you unless its a concealed handgun and you are a CHL holder. It clearly stated anyone with a broadhead. EXAMPLE: Now if you are raccoon hunting with field points only and have an AR with you, you are 100% legal.

Comment

Originally posted by coachk43 View Post
                              As will I. And I'll be ****ed if Jake or any other feller tries to ruffle my feathers
                              so why have a deer season. Private land we should just be able to slaughter all the deer.

The reason you cant carry is because it is primitive season only. I doubt anyone is going to fall to pieces if they have to leave their handgun in the camp for the 2-3 hours you are hunting.

laws are laws.. This is a law.. They dont all have to make since to everyone, but it is crystal clear to me. If you have a gun in the bow blind, you might be tempted to use it if in the right situation. Not very primitive....

This is a non issue..

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
                                I didn't write the law, I just understand why it's there. Having a pistol on you, on your own property, without a CHL, during the archery only season does nothing except throw a red flag to a GW. How can you prove you weren't intending to shoot a deer with said pistol? You can't, plain and simple. There is a way to avoid throwing that red flag... Get a CHL.
                                This is America, I don't have to prove my innocence, they have to prove my guilt. It is a law, a dumb law, and it should be re-written.

Just because somebody has a CHL they won't shoot a deer with their pistol, but the rest of the people in the world must avoid a 'red flag'? BS!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X