Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SHNF help

Hey guys,
    New to SHNF but not hunting. Went out scouting today for about 4 hours and didnt see hardly anything that looked like it would hold any apeal to any consistant travel. Nor any good signs worth marking down as a spot.

Any of you SHNF old timers mind mentoring a new guy? Dont need a monster... or anyones private spots. But a feel for the area and a shove in the right direction so I can atleast SEE a deer this season!

The area I scouted I went about a half mile in and it was just hard woods and a few creeks with zero tracks and the only sign I could find was 4-5 trees in the same area that had been rubbed. By hogs not by bucks would be my guess.

Did you notice any white oak trees in the hardwoods you were in? If so and if they had acorns on them, I would be there around the opener. Sometimes it is hard to find the sign, you just have to know what you are looking for. I have mentored a couple guys and am actually mentoring one of my Eagle scouts this season. But I could possibly meet you sometime and scout your area with you and see if I see any more sign you might have missed.

Comment

pm sent! thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by roguecraft101 View Post
        Hey guys,
        New to SHNF but not hunting. Went out scouting today for about 4 hours and didnt see hardly anything that looked like it would hold any apeal to any consistant travel. Nor any good signs worth marking down as a spot.

Any of you SHNF old timers mind mentoring a new guy? Dont need a monster... or anyones private spots. But a feel for the area and a shove in the right direction so I can atleast SEE a deer this season!

The area I scouted I went about a half mile in and it was just hard woods and a few creeks with zero tracks and the only sign I could find was 4-5 trees in the same area that had been rubbed. By hogs not by bucks would be my guess.
        Welcome! SHNF is very chalenging for newcomers.scouting always pays off.Good luck this season.

Comment

Thanks bc. Looking forward to the challenge. It will be rewarding to put in a lot of work and in the end outsmart a buck.

Comment

welcome to the forest. be sure to follow along on the "official" sam houston national forest thread and look up past ones. tons of great info and tips to speed up the process. Don't get discouraged if you don't start out seeing a lot of deer, it sometimes takes awhile to get a feel for the woods, i know it was more than a few years before i changed from being "surprised to see a deer" to "expecting to see deer"

Comment

Originally posted by Italianxbowuser View Post
              welcome to the forest. be sure to follow along on the "official" sam houston national forest thread and look up past ones. tons of great info and tips to speed up the process. Don't get discouraged if you don't start out seeing a lot of deer, it sometimes takes awhile to get a feel for the woods, i know it was more than a few years before i changed from being "surprised to see a deer" to "expecting to see deer"
              That is pretty good advice.

PM replied!

Comment

I was telling huntingfool the other day. I read all those old SHNF posts and by the time i got done I felt like I almost knew everyone haha

Comment

Working...
                X