Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here refill their 1lb propane bottles themselves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use my 1lbers for starting my fire pit and BBQ pit here at the house with a torch head. Gets the coals going real quick.

Comment

Anyone here refill their 1lb propane bottles themselves?

Yes, I've been doing it for years.

They only feel like they get 3/4 full, but when
      My wife use at least one bottle per hunt I decided refilling them was the way to go.

I check for leakers after each refill and have only experienced that once or twice.

I've got at least ten I keep in rotation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I do. I also refill my Thermacell cartridges.

Comment

My BIL puts the 1 #’ers in the freezer for a while, then puts the 20 #er out in the sun to heat up. Says it fills the 1 #er super fast and gets more in there too.

Comment

Originally posted by Electrican View Post
            I have one and used it some. Seems you can’t get them near as full as new ones. As stated above putting them in refrigerator before helps. And some of the refills leaked. I probably wouldn’t buy it again as the new bottles are pretty cheap.
            You have to vent it a little by pushing the little Schroeder (sp?)
            valve on top then fill some more. But don't over fill , have to leave some room for expansion when the get hot.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

I have one that I haven’t used yet. My brother and I went through about 10 of the small bottles last year. Going to try and refill some this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Do it all the time. Wear gloves!! That stuff will instafreeze your hands. Chill the bottles and depressurize them before filling. Depress the main valve. Not the one on the side. I’ve never had a problem over filling one. Seems like the two bottles will equalize the pressure between themselves instead of all the liquid pouring into the 1lber since the system is sealed.

Comment

I’ve been doing it for years. Only had a couple that leaked (after multiple refills).

I leave small and large bottle in the sun to heat up. Then I depress the main valve and depressurize the small ones. In theory, this will cause a small vacuum inside when I freeze them in the deep freeze. Turn large bottle upside down and fill frozen small ones. They don’t get factory full. I guesstimate about 80-85 percent.

I guess I should weigh a new one and a refilled one to find out...

Comment

I thought about but then decided it was just cheaper, easier and safer to put a big bottle in each blind. Couple Craigslist $10 20lb tanks and a trade in at Walmart and I’m hoping to get 5-6 years on em. On year 2 so far. My buddy Nick is still on his original tank after 6 seasons.

I even got one for my buddy heater in my shop.

Comment

I tried it last year, put 1# bottles in freezer or on ice for 30-40 min prior to filling.

Some took more than others but none equaled a new bottle.

I have since put a 5# at each stand and fill them once per year which is easier.

Comment

Originally posted by bpa556 View Post
                        I’ve been doing it for years. Only had a couple that leaked (after multiple refills).

I leave small and large bottle in the sun to heat up. Then I depress the main valve and depressurize the small ones. In theory, this will cause a small vacuum inside when I freeze them in the deep freeze. Turn large bottle upside down and fill frozen small ones. They don’t get factory full. I guesstimate about 80-85 percent.

I guess I should weigh a new one and a refilled one to find out...

I thought the new devices on 20# bottles shut off liquid flow. Not true?

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                          I thought the new devices on 20# bottles shut off liquid flow. Not true?

Not sure. I don’t know how old my filler bottle is. I had it recertified several years ago.

How new is “new”?

Comment

It is my understanding that the OPD valves (newest that I’m aware of) prevent overfilling and prevent gas transfer when valve is open, but no attachment connected. I’m not aware of any feature preventing liquid flow.

My refills always contain liquid, as evidenced by weight and “sloshing” when shaken.

I have refilled for family out of their Blue Rhino tanks. They are “swap” tanks and I would assume they have the latest and greatest safety doodads.

I am not a propane distribution expert. These are just my experiences.

Comment

Also, crack the valve on the big tank very slowly. It will trigger the flow-stop mechanism if you open it quickly. Once you hear the liquid moving, open it further slowly.

That safety feature stops flow if it thinks a hose has busted somewhere downstream. It needs some back pressure to stay open.

Comment

Get ya one of these and you won't have to worry about refilling the little ones. Hooks straight up to a big bottle which should last a pretty long time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mrbuddyhose.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	24531210

Comment

Working...
                                X