Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Montana - Vacation - Need Help

Guys,
    I'm already starting to think of vacation next year and targeting Montana. I was wondering if anyone has done a vacation up there with their family. Kids will be 10-13 and can handle themselves outdoors. Wife is the same. Looking for a town the size/atmosphere/vibe of Pagosa Springs, CO. We did that a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it. I never new about Pagosa until I saw people talking about it here and on another board. Got lucky someone wanted to share their inside scoop and we had a fantastic time following their advice. Hoping I can get the same for Montana. Looking for a good town to start and if you have any particular outfitters/hikes/stretch of river you like I would greatly appreciate it. I know google is my friend, just looking for first hand experience. Thanks in advance for any replies.

We stayed in Big Sky a few years back. It was breathtaking. The fishing was great. It was close to yellow stone. The mountain bike trails were awesome.

Comment

I was up there three weeks ago. I have not been to Pagosa Springs but I would check out Whitefish. Glacier NP is beautiful. Plenty to do in the area. Kalispell is beautiful but it didn't have the same feel Whitefish did to me.

Comment

If you go all the way up there, you HAVE to visit Glacier National Park. No if ands or buts.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple 7 View Post
          We stayed in Big Sky a few years back. It was breathtaking. The fishing was great. It was close to yellow stone. The mountain bike trails were awesome.
          I second Big Sky. We stayed a week and went to Yellowstone 3 days (1hr away).
          We also rafted around Big Sky as well. Beautiful country!!! There was a PBR event there the week we were there.
          Last edited by Mertzon Man; 07-27-2018, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
            I was up there three weeks ago. I have not been to Pagosa Springs but I would check out Whitefish. Glacier NP is beautiful. Plenty to do in the area. Kalispell is beautiful but it didn't have the same feel Whitefish did to me.
            I came here to say Whitefish as well. I spend about a week each summer in Pagosa, and I think Whitefish or Lakeside will fit the bill. Lakeside is on the north end of Flathead Lake, which is a must see itself, and plenty to do as well. If I had to choose I’d go Whitefish though. I’ve put a lot of miles through Montana the past 5 years. Hwy 93 from Mackay ID to the Canadian border is the prettiest stretch of Highway that I’ve ever been down, and it goes through both Lakeside and Whitefish.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
              If you go all the way up there, you HAVE to visit Glacier National Park. No if ands or buts.
              Yep! We may have put some time in the yaks on Lake McDonald last month when in Glacier! Absolutely must see!Click image for larger version

Name:	8CF3D8DD-FE44-4EB6-A029-9DA0FAC612C6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	24547189

Comment

Check out West Yellowstone. Just outside the park and central to a lot of activities in and around there in all directions! If you go there, let me know and I can give you some more ideas.

Comment

I love going to Darby but there really isn't much to do in town. Plenty of great hikes and fishing with the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness, Bitterroot National Forest, and Bitterroot River. Probably not exactly what you are looking for with the family but check it out. You could also try Hamilton which is in the same area but a little bigger. Glacier National Park is also a great option a little farther north and you can stay in the town of Whitefish or Kalispell. I prefer Whitefish myself. Plenty of places in the state to pick that will have what you are looking for. I really need to get back up to Montana again soon and maybe a trip to Wyoming in the near future as well.

Comment

Went to big sky in April. Gorgeous town and area. Would love to go back in the summer. Plenty of fishing around too.

Comment

Guys - thanks for all the inputs so far. Please keep them coming.

Comment

Everything you would want to do can be accessed from West Yellowstone. It has a Zip Line, The Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center, Playmill Theatre, IMAX, entrance to the park, short driving distance to Big Sky, Johnny Sack's cabin in Idaho, Quake Lake and its visitor center. I highly recommend watching the video there of the earthquake that formed the lake. You can drive up to Cliff and Wade Lake in Montana and picnic and or fish. The water at Cliff Lake is amazingly clear and blue/green like the Caribbean.

Google each of these places.

Comment

Working...
                        X