Chevy 6.0 vs Ford 6.2 company truck...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chevy 6.0 vs Ford 6.2 company truck...

I will be getting a new company truck before the end of the year & pretty sure they are going to put me in another 3/4 ton...I don't pull a lot so let's leave that equation out, as the trailer I do pull is only a bit much for the 1/2 ton. I think they may give me the flavor option between these two, so interested in those that may have experience with either or run fleets. Talking a basic extended cab / long bed 4x4 entry level ride.

My current 2011 6.0 has been jewell with 306,000 current miles, so leaning towards GM 'if given the option' right now. It's a dog on the giddy-up but has been solid. My understanding is the 6.0 is push rod where the 6.2 is an overhead cam design?? Guessing the 6.2 will have a little more passing pep, but mostly interested in reliability. I drive around 100k miles per year if that matters.

Thanks...

I have a 2015 6.2 4x4 3/4ton and love it i only have 63,000 miles on it but it has plenty of power. I will say that im only getting about 11.5mpg out of it. But other than that i love it

Comment

I've been following the Ford 6.2 for about a year now. I'm a non-Ford guy, but this will probably be my next truck. From what I've seen, the Ford 6.2/3.73 gear combo has been whipping the Ram 6.4/4.10 combo in almost every test, and of course, the GM 6.0 as well. No easy task as none of them are slouches.

As for reliability, the 6.2 FTE forum is extremely boring with nothing to discuss except which gears to get (3.73 vs 4.30). https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/

None of these trucks are going to get fabulous mileage, but if you can eek out a Super Duty crew cab long bed from the company, you'll get a 48 gallon fuel tank, which is extremely valuable in my book.

If you tow, I highly recommend the 4.30 gear set. If not, the 3.73 will serve you well.

So as much as it pains me to say it...ack!...I'd go with the Ford. Ack!

Comment

Reliability = Ford

The Chevy will get better fuel economy because the alternator doesn't have to work very much with all the broken electronics.

Comment

That 6.0 is the best gas engine Chevrolet has ever made.It will ride better than the Ford also.I run a '16 Powerstroke btw,but I have to pay for it myself! In your case, it's a win/win!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

There is a reason the 6.0 has been used for decades. It’s not gas friendly but it has a excellent reputation and every mechanic is very familiar with them

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
              Reliability = Ford

The Chevy will get better fuel economy because the alternator doesn't have to work very much with all the broken electronics.
              That's funny!

Given the choice I would go with the Ram and the 6.4 Hemi. I know that wasn't a choice, but I love mine, and it will get up and go. Even with the 4.10 rear end.

Comment

I’ve owned two 6.0L Chevrolet 2500 HD’s and have had no issues out of either one. Put 150000+ on both with no expensive breakdowns. Both got 10-12 MPG downhill with a tailwind but would pull a trailer with ease with the 4.10 rear ratio. Did suck though when fuel was $5 a gallon though.

Comment

Comment

Comment

2017 Chevy 1500 crew cab with the 6.2 and 420hp/460 ftlbs torque and add in the Max Conventional Trailering package, 3.73 Rear Axle 15000 lbs/16700 lbs.
                      Add aftermarket airbag rear shocks if more is needed. Will out pull and out haul any 6.0 2500HD.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                        That's funny!

Given the choice I would go with the Ram and the 6.4 Hemi. I know that wasn't a choice, but I love mine, and it will get up and go. Even with the 4.10 rear end.
                        Lol you do realize the 4.10 rear end actually helps get up and go right?

Comment

I've had 4 6.0 Chevy 2500s, and they have all been fantastic. It is an anemic motor though, but stupid reliable. The Ford 6.2 has proven itself though, and has much more pep to it. The last generation of Super Dutys road like crap, but the 17s ride much better. I would go 6.2 Ford without a second thought

Comment

No doubt the 6.0 GM vortec is anemic in it's tune. PCM starts pulling timing at 4800 rpm and 89mph give or take depending on rear end gears and not long after the speed limiter kicks in. A good custom dyno tune with software that can unlock the PCM and allow custom fuel and timing map changes along with disabling the timing retard and speed limiter can pump these small block 6.0 motors easily to 400hp at the flywheel which is where all car mfrs rate their engines from. Rear Wheel Hp is going to show much less. Or just pull the PCM out of a Camaro or Vette and swap them out and get you a quick 75hp for cheap.

Comment

6.0s are solid!!

Comment

Working...
                              X