1 in 7 twist .223

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 in 7 twist .223

Looking at buying a AR in .223 with a 24" 1 in 7 twist barrel,what would be better ammo for it? Light 40-55gr or heavy 60-70?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The benefit of having the 1:7 twist rate is to be able to shoot the Hvy grain bullets accurately. My Favorite round is the Barnes Tax.

Comment

1-7 twist is meant to stabilize the heaviest 223 bullets

Comment

I shoot 62 gr hornady American whitetail out of mine. But have also shot 55 gr vmax in the past with no issues

Comment

With a 24" barrel you can just reach out a poke the target if you run out of ammo.

Comment

I'm currently shooting 75gr Hornady hollow points out of mine 1:7 twist and they group pretty nicely.

Comment

You'll have to shoot it to see what it shoots best. 1:7" twist is designed for the heaviest .224" bullets, which it obviously will stabilize. It may fragment lightweight frangible bullets like Sierra Blitz and Hornady SPSX.

LWD

Comment

Neither of my 1 in 7's like less than 60 gr. bullets. Still working on larger ones.

Comment

Heavy

Comment

Anyone shot the 64gr Speer Gold Dots LE in there 1 in 7 yet? I have some of those and some 75gr and was hoping the 64's aint to light.

Comment

Mine likes the 65 Grain Sierra Game Kings

Comment

Originally posted by rather-b-fishin View Post
                        Anyone shot the 64gr Speer Gold Dots LE in there 1 in 7 yet? I have some of those and some 75gr and was hoping the 64's aint to light.
                        Those bullets won't be too light. It's a bigger, well-constructed bullet. It won't fragment. It will stabilize in a 1:9 twist, but over-rotating a bullet only matters to bench rest shooters. Go try some and find out if your gun likes them.

LWD

Comment

Comment

60 + works best for mine too

Comment

Working...
                            X