Lefty shooting a right handed rifle ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lefty shooting a right handed rifle ?

I just thought about this seeing the lefty thread........

My 10 yr old is a lefty..... may be a stupid question but he is going to shoot (rifle) his first deer this season hopefully..... and he will be shooting my .243. Anything or concerns I need to know before he shoots my rifle from the wrong side ?
    We will be headed to the range a couple of times in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks

Nope. I am left and have never owned a left hand bolt action rifle. Follow up shots take a little longer as you either a) reach across with left hand to open the bolt or b) switch hands and open like a right handed would. Shotguns are another story. Get him a left handed model when he is ready for one.

Comment

Make sure his first shot is a good one.

Comment

I'm in the same boat as above. Don't think I've ever even shot a left handed rifle... My bolt action slug gun is lefty but the pump gun I use is righty. One thing I did do for my 308 was to buy a Boyds left hand right action stock. That way at least the cheek piece is there.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Same here, never owned a left handed rifle in my life and its never been a problem

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Same as above... I have never owned a left handed rifle until recently... Lefties are very resourceful and adapt quickly to any situation. Including fishing reels, shotguns and rifles...

Comment

my son shoots lefty and shoots my rifles pretty good

Comment

My son is left-handed, but right-eye dominant. He shoots basketballs and firearms right-handed.

Comment

I'm right handed but shoot all my longs guns left handed(left eye dominant). I have always shot right handed guns and never had any problems. Not even with semi-auto shotguns...

Comment

I'm also a lefty that's never owned a left-handed rifle. I'd never own one because I'm used to working the action my own way. Never have felt at a disadvantage because of it.

Comment

Lefty here, but shoot right handed. The key is to figure out what his dominate eye is. That will tell you if he needs to shoot left or right.

Comment

only problem I ever had was occasional powder falling in my eyes when shooting pump shotgun rapidly and straight up at ducks/geese... i have never owned a left handed gun

Comment

Lefty but shoot right handed gun.

Comment

Full time lefty here and have owned a left-handed gun until last year. Rifles have never been an issue. Get him used to grabbing for the both with his right hand and eventually muscle memory and his mind will do it's thing.

I bought a left-handed shotgun last year and didn't care for it. The safety now feels backwards and cost me a few pheasant's.

Comment

He'll be fine shooting a right handed gun left handed. AC has a point if he has a dominant eye issue you might do a little research on the best way to handle that now. My wife grew up shooting very little but when she did shoot it was right handed and leaning over the gun to use her dominate left eye. In the end it was easier getting her to shoot with her non dominate eye instead of shooting left handed.

Comment

Working...
                              X