Night hunting suggestions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night hunting suggestions...

I've just gotten a lease in Polk County after several years overseas and plan on shooting hogs on it this summer at night. What's the "standard protocol" with LEO/GW regarding my hunting? Should I give the local sheriff a call to let him know that I plan on shooting hogs at night his coming weekend (and any weekend in the future) in case the neighbors hear gunfire at night?

Thanks!

Yes

Comment

I would call the sheriff as well as the local GW. Otherwise they might be messing up your hunt, and you don't want that to happen.

Comment

Definitely... Some
        GW don't play around with that stuff... My dad and his buddy went
        To his property one night to fix a windmill and the GW tried to bust them for spotlighting even though it was summer and they weren't shooting.... I know after dark wasn't the optimal time to be doing that but that was the only time they had available

Comment

We never do. If it's a small piece of property a heads up might keep a hunt from being ruined though. They may not like getting calls from neighbors hearing shots but nothing they can do if you shooting pigs.

Comment

I would call the GW in Polk for sure. If it's the same one that visits my camp, he will probably say "NO". Or say yes and then ticket you for doing it.

Comment

I guess you could call to be nice and maybe save yourself a little inconvenience but it isnt required. I never have. If a GW stops me I'll just tell him what Im doing and keep going aboutmy business just like all the other times Ive been stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Grndchecker View Post
                I would call the GW in Polk for sure. If it's the same one that visits my camp, he will probably say "NO". Or say yes and then ticket you for doing it.
                I have a buddy on a lease in east Texas where the gamewarden won't let them spotlight pigs, and I don't see how he can stop them? He says if they do and he catches them they will get a ticket. Is that legal? I have never called to notify anybody that I was going spotlighting pigs or other varmits as there's nothing illegal about it. They're not game animals... So what's the catch?

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                  I have a buddy on a lease in east Texas where the gamewarden won't let them spotlight pigs, and I don't see how he can stop them? He says if they do and he catches them they will get a ticket. Is that legal? I have never called to notify anybody that I was going spotlighting pigs or other varmits as there's nothing illegal about it. They're not game animals... So what's the catch?
                  Sounds like someones supervisor needs to be called. The book recommends that you call the GW as a courtesy but it is not required. It is legal to hunt pigs, coyotes etc at night. There is nothing he can legally do about it.

Comment

I always give them a courtesy call. I have both GWs phone numbers but usually just call the Sheriff's Office with a location. The dispatchers can let callers know what you're doing and they don't have to get the GW out of bed.

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                      Sounds like the same one. I won't say anything else due to past experiences and who knows who is looking.
                      And the supervisor has been contacted.

Comment

I have done it once, still got stopped and received a ticket for no HE card, baloney. but any way all it may do is prevent a run in with the law but if you are just shooting pigs and nothing illegal you have nothing to worry about anyway.

Comment

It never crossed my mind to notify a GW.

Comment

We never do and have never had an issue. If your GW is constantly in your area then it might be a good idea but it's never even crossed my mind.

Comment

If it's a smaller property with any ranch houses within earshot, I'd consider giving a call. On larger, more remote properties, I never call. One year I called two different GW's to give them a courtesy "heads-up" and they showed up every single time and screwed up my stands. Not again. One of them actually parked his truck 1/4 mile away and was walking through the mesquites towards my light while I was calling. I asked him if he thought that was the safest way to handle that situation. He never answered me. Nice guy, but a little too eager when he could have used better judgement and just watched and waited from a distance and stopped me as I was leaving the property or driving between stands.

Come to think of it, I've never been stopped by a GW when calling at night except when I do call them....and I've called a considerable amount of nights in the winter over the past 20 years. Then again, most of my country is really remote and with all of the oilfield lights/activity my spotlight doesn't stand out much.

Just my $0.02. I might call again to show courtesy to a neighboring rancher who might call the GW, but I'm not doing it for the GW's sake alone.

Comment

Working...
                              X