Building an bolt action?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building an bolt action?

May not be rocket science to some but I am thinking of building a custom bolt action for my one and done deer rifle. So my question is does anyone have a good website that has good info about how it’s done? What tools do you really need when buying quality parts? I have built 2 ARS and it was quite simple with instructions. I’m thinking about going with a 6.5 Creedmoor because it will be used for deer\hogs and I don’t enjoy shooting my 30-06. So looking for a good round that I will enjoy shooting. Any other opinions would be appreciated.

Ok where to start....

Caliber choice is good for what you are wanting to do with it.

You may want to clarify what you mean by "building a custom rifle". To build an accurate custom rifle you need precise and expensive equipment and years of experience. If you are referring to a Remage or Savage nut system where you just headspace the chambered barrel and tighten a nut down that is different.

Can you expand on what exactly you are wanting to do.

Comment

In for the response on this one

Comment

building an AR and building a bolt action are 2 very different things

Comment

If you have decent mechanical skills and understanding you can build a very accurate rifle on a savage action without the very expensive tools. My brother just finished his 7-08ai build on a savage tactical action. Shoots very good maybe not as good as others but he built it himself. I’m getting ready to start mine soon thinking of a 22-250ai or 260ai. It’s not too hard.

Comment

Build off a savage like stated or get a smith involved.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
              Ok where to start....

Caliber choice is good for what you are wanting to do with it.

You may want to clarify what you mean by "building a custom rifle". To build an accurate custom rifle you need precise and expensive equipment and years of experience. If you are referring to a Remage or Savage nut system where you just headspace the chambered barrel and tighten a nut down that is different.

Can you expand on what exactly you are wanting to do.

Hopping to spend around 2000 or so. Maybe more. Not sure, just decided not long ago. Y’all say get a gunsmith involved if not a savage.. why is that? I plan on buying complete parts.. barrel, action, stock etc.. do I need a smith enclosed when doing that if I use a 700 action for example? Excuse my ignorance but this is my first go around. I am mechanically inclined and good with YouTube lol

Comment

Just want a very nice rifle and save money.. not sure if it’s worth it or not.

Comment

You can buy a barreled action then the stock you want, glass etc.... building from scratch would mean access to a machine shop and extensive skills. For $2k buy the parts you want and put it together yourself. Still a fun way to get what you want in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If your budget is close to or over $2000 you can find a lightly used Alamo Precision, Horizon, Hill Country, etc for that price with the load development done as well if youre not in the hurry and have time to shop around.

Dont think youll be saving money in the long run for what you could build Vs. what you could buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Gherkin05 View Post
                      You can buy a barreled action then the stock you want, glass etc.... building from scratch would mean access to a machine shop and extensive skills. For $2k buy the parts you want and put it together yourself. Still a fun way to get what you want in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      Yah that’s what I mean, not from scratch( machining etc) just a nice hunting rifle that I’m confident in. Just looking for a place of info on how too and what tools are needed? Etc

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
                        If your budget is close to or over $2000 you can find a lightly used Alamo Precision, Horizon, Hill Country, etc for that price with the load development done as well if youre not in the hurry and have time to shop around.

Dont think youll be saving money in the long run for what you could build Vs. what you could buy.
                        That’s what I was trying to figure out, is it worth it or spend a few hundred more and by from those places..

Comment

Originally posted by j.trevor123 View Post
                          Hopping to spend around 2000 or so. Maybe more. Not sure, just decided not long ago. Y’all say get a gunsmith involved if not a savage.. why is that? I plan on buying complete parts.. barrel, action, stock etc.. do I need a smith enclosed when doing that if I use a 700 action for example? Excuse my ignorance but this is my first go around. I am mechanically inclined and good with YouTube lol

No worries bud.

If you are not doing a nut style barrel on a Remington, yes you need a gun Smith because there are technical tools needed to build the gun properly. In my opinion the time and money spent on a build is better spent on a gun Smith who does it for a living. If you just want to tinker then the savage/remage barrel nut would be a fun project.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                            No worries bud.

If you are not doing a nut style barrel on a Remington, yes you need a gun Smith because there are technical tools needed to build the gun properly. In my opinion the time and money spent on a build is better spent on a gun Smith who does it for a living. If you just want to tinker then the savage/remage barrel nut would be a fun project.

Sierracharlie out…
                            Makes sense, well in that case Alamo precision it is! Thanks for clearing that all up guys. That thread was started with no research. Just figured asking on here would be faster

Comment

Originally posted by j.trevor123 View Post
                              Just want a very nice rifle and save money.. not sure if it’s worth it or not.
                              Here's my input. If it's a one and done rifle then buy exactly what you want to a T.

Comment

Working...
                              X