2020 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rocky View Post
    Don’t know what Scotty does, but I start all my peppers, tomatoes, and tomatillos from seeds. A grow light and a warm place is all you need other than the pots. Everything else in my garden except for onions is seeded in the soil. I only buy plants in the event I get a batch of bad seed.

Thx Rocky. I have never tried it. I do have a small greenhouse that I have not assembled yet. How late can you start seeds and still get plants in the ground for good produce? The grow light sounds like a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
      Is everyone planting already or waiting another month or two.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
      I will plant early so stay in touch as I always insure a late freeze so we can start over again!

Comment

and I thought I knew everything about everything until I find out I do not.. I love my warm weather zucchini and last 2 years my seeds went great except for "duh" limited Zucchini on the table. I am Georgetown. A nice family preached a Zucchini seed at Tractor Supply? All said, any suggestions for a seed. I know a little relating to Georgetown east side. I share: go with Early Girl for tomatoes, Sun Gold for sweet massive yield and allow some room for little guys. I even have started melons on a trellis. Works. Grand kid started this one. A few miles and soils make big differences. Georgetown success share appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          Thx Rocky. I have never tried it. I do have a small greenhouse that I have not assembled yet. How late can you start seeds and still get plants in the ground for good produce? The grow light sounds like a good idea.
          Planted pepper seeds 2 weeks ago, as they grow slow. Plants are around 2” tall currently. Planting tomato and tomatillo seeds tomorrow. Will let them grow under lights until it gets warm enough to let them harden outside on porch. You don’t need a greenhouse, just a place that is warm and you can put lights on them to get them started. Usually about 6 weeks before you can put them in the ground and not worry about frost.
          Last edited by rocky; 02-01-2020, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Thinned my tomato seedlings today.
            I have three Carolina Reapers finally peaking through the dirt.
            Went out to putter in the garden.
            Harvested a little broccoli, trimmed the Brussels Sprout leaves, checked on the garlic and the onions, and then found a surprise.
            A few asparagus spears! Yum!

Comment

In

Comment

Is it too late to plant onions in the Houston area?

Comment

Following

Comment

Moved I to a new house so starting over. Have the ground tilled several times, removed all the grass I could and added in 7 yards of mushroom compost. Will till a few more times and plant the end of this month. Here's a picture with my happy helper.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
                      Moved I to a new house so starting over. Have the ground tilled several times, removed all the grass I could and added in 7 yards of mushroom compost. Will till a few more times and plant the end of this month. Here's a picture with my happy helper.

I see you’re in Victoria, where did you get the mushroom compost?

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie Dad View Post
                        I see you’re in Victoria, where did you get the mushroom compost?
                        Gonzales mushrooms farm. Kitchen pride mushrooms is the name

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                            Is it too late to plant onions in the Houston area?
                            No....if you have a couple that show signs of bolting later on just pickem. Good thing about onions is you can plant them on one day....and pick them the next.
                            (as in they are always edible)

Comment

Plowed for the spring garden yesterday. Kids finished planting our oaks. So far 1300 oaks .

They were proud of their work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ya'll been workin hard...Got mine tilled up few days ago after a couple seasons nothing ..Due to both Knee replacements...and then tiller motor expired..on my Ancient Troy Horse..Few weeks ago Harbor freight had sale on 6.5 Predator motors..99bucks was easy swap and runs like a champ...

Oh Yea thx for WOW garden pic. Scotty

Comment

Working...
                                X