Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 11-09-2017, 09:02 AM   #1
Zen Archery
Ten Point

Hunt In: G-ds blessed earth!
Default 6.5 Creedmoor DO NOT BUY

Unless you've got a mile to shoot. Seriously... Click Here For Video

On another note had a sales person at Cabelas tell me the 6.5 Creedmoor has "terminal performance issues."
It was at that point I pulled out my cell phone showing him 40 hogs I've dropped over the past years using 6 different bullets. Everyone of them efficiently dropping Texas boars from 25-315 lbs. I wasn't trying to be a jerk, just informative in hopes he stops the myth of "poor terminal issues."
Zen Archery is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 09:11 AM   #2
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hempstead, TX

wow, impressive video!
TXHUNT3R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #3
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonroa, Comfort

most of the gun guys at sporting goods are lost most of the time. They only talk to try and impress people with BS!! Better know the true facts or your going to look silly when you run across a guy that really knows guns.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 09:24 AM   #4
dustinhanna
Eight Point

Hunt In: Val Verde, London

Went back and forth on the decision based on what people told me. Ended up with a grendel first, then got my 6.5 creedmor like a month or two later. Love it.
dustinhanna is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 09:29 AM   #5
Arrowthreat
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kent County

I just picked up a Howa 6.5. I haven't had the chance to kill anything with it, but on paper it shoots good. Whats your favorite 6.5 load for hogs? I got a box of hornady 143 grain ELD-X precision hunter.
Arrowthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 09:32 AM   #6
TexasArchery_27
Six Point

Hunt In: Red River & Collin County

I've always shot .30-06 or .270, but I've been shopping around for the 6.5Cm. I think either today or tomorrow I'll bite the bullet and buy one.
TexasArchery_27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 09:52 AM   #7
Brute Killer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pleasanton

Brute Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 09:52 AM   #8
B&C
Four Point

The 6.5 (in many flavors) is the best bullet I've seen on deer. We shoot 120 GMX's & TTSX's, 129 SSTs and 143 ELDx's. Terminal damage, fold ups, accuracy, recoil and recoveries are outstanding with the 6.5.
B&C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 10:01 AM   #9
PowThudBeer
Eight Point

Hunt In: Montague County, Saguache CO

We teach long ranch precision rifle courses with 6.5 CM with factory match grade ammo from Hornady and Prime. We can consistently get hits on a full-size IPSC target out to 1 mile and slightly beyond. With custom loads even better. Keep in mind most of our shooting is at the ranch in Colorado at around 8500 ft of elevation. We aren't hitting transonic until a little over 1500 yards. The BC on those bullets is just so good. I hunt with my 6.5 cm too and its a killing SOB. About to buy one of the Remington 6.5 CM with the Magpul stock for my FIL for Christmas. It takes the 10 round Pmags and comes threaded for a suppressor. He can target shoot and hunt with it. We also shoot a lot of 6mm CM too. Faster round, great target round, but I don't think I would hunt much with it. Does great on prairie dogs though ;-)
PowThudBeer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 10:03 AM   #10
dustinhanna
Eight Point

Hunt In: Val Verde, London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowthreat View Post
I just picked up a Howa 6.5. I haven't had the chance to kill anything with it, but on paper it shoots good. Whats your favorite 6.5 load for hogs? I got a box of hornady 143 grain ELD-X precision hunter.
That's what I went with as well. Heavy barrel. Good gun for the price.
Attached Images

dustinhanna is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 10:08 AM   #11
220swift
Ten Point

Hunt In: South, East, and Central Texas

Academy has an ad today for the Savage 10BA. $850 when you mail in a $150 rebate.

I shot 4 Red Stag with my CM in September. One was at 450 yards. One ran about 20 yards and the other 3 were DRT.
220swift is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 10:11 AM   #12
Fordnandez
Eight Point

Hunt In: Junction, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinhanna View Post
That's what I went with as well. Heavy barrel. Good gun for the price.
Awesome looking gun.
Fordnandez is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 10:30 AM   #13
Gummi Bear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comanche & Eastland

That popped up in my YouTube suggestion feed yesterday

I laughed hysterically at your summary

Been following your channel for a few years.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau
Gummi Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #14
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Motley Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

Man that is absolutely right 6.5 creedmoor is junk! Its not like sub-moa groups (10 7/8") at 1200 yards with a factory rifle and factory ammo is worth a crap or taking out a 200+ pound mule deer at 200 yds busting through both shoulders and dumping him where he stood is any good either. Definitely some terminal performance issues.
Attached Images

DuramaxDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 11:21 AM   #15
Hunter_Man
Ten Point

so my son shot his first buck this weekend with his new ruger 6.5 creedmoor. used the 125 gr deer xp ammo from academy as I didn't have any brass to work a load up yet with. the gun is a friggin tack driver for sure, but he shot a young 2.5 yr old 10 pt with a banged up hoof opening day. 75 yd shot and double lung, and there was almost NO blood. tiny entrance and exit hole just barely the size of the projectile, and it hit a rib going in and out. Luckily the deer only went about 50 yds, and we stumbled upon it fast, as the blood trail stopped literally feet from the feeder. now, I'm not blaming it on the caliber of the gun, but that deer XP bullet left something to be desired for sure.
Hunter_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 11:45 AM   #16
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Motley Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter_Man View Post
so my son shot his first buck this weekend with his new ruger 6.5 creedmoor. used the 125 gr deer xp ammo from academy as I didn't have any brass to work a load up yet with. the gun is a friggin tack driver for sure, but he shot a young 2.5 yr old 10 pt with a banged up hoof opening day. 75 yd shot and double lung, and there was almost NO blood. tiny entrance and exit hole just barely the size of the projectile, and it hit a rib going in and out. Luckily the deer only went about 50 yds, and we stumbled upon it fast, as the blood trail stopped literally feet from the feeder. now, I'm not blaming it on the caliber of the gun, but that deer XP bullet left something to be desired for sure.
I could see that. I have had the same thing happen with that Winchester ammo but in a different caliber. Did yall gut it and look and the damage to the lungs and diaphragm area?
Me personally regardless of the caliber I like to stick with the heaviest bullet that shoots well out of the rifle I am using.

Last edited by DuramaxDude; 11-09-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:10 PM   #17
Hunter_Man
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuramaxDude View Post
I could see that. I have had the same thing happen with that Winchester ammo but in a different caliber. Did yall gut it and look and the damage to the lungs and diaphragm area?
yessir we sure did. that's how we found that the bullet had broke a rib on either side of him... lungs were messed up and deer bled out into his chest cavity. missed the diaphragm... I was just surprised by the entrance and exit would holes. literally the size of a pencil.
Hunter_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 12:15 PM   #18
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter_Man View Post
yessir we sure did. that's how we found that the bullet had broke a rib on either side of him... lungs were messed up and deer bled out into his chest cavity. missed the diaphragm... I was just surprised by the entrance and exit would holes. literally the size of a pencil.
Hmmm cool deal. Would be cool to see what a 129gr SST or 143 ELD-X or something would do in the same situation.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:24 PM   #19
scott.str
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens county

Dang to late haha guess I'll just have to hope for the best

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
scott.str is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 12:31 PM   #20
ColinR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.str View Post
Dang to late haha guess I'll just have to hope for the best

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
eewww That's a Hells Canyon isn't it??? Drool!!!
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 01:13 PM   #21
PowThudBeer
Eight Point

Hunt In: Montague County, Saguache CO

You won't regret that purchase.
PowThudBeer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 01:29 PM   #22
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

I'm a 260 lover and just snagged a 65x284 but may have to re-barrel my savage to a Creed. You guys are slowly convincing me.

It would make a nice suppressor rifle in an 18" Bartlein RV profile...

Op, as always great video work.
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 01:45 PM   #23
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

I am sick as hell of hearing about the 6.5 Creedmore....

.260 and .264 mag have been around forever...this is really nothing new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Dale Moser; 11-09-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 01:58 PM   #24
lglidewell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco & Burleson County

Should have mine in my hands this weekend... it looks like this except with a 22Ē barrel, an SWFA 3-15 scope and wearing a AAC-SD 762-SDN-6 suppressor .

Tikka T3 action with MDT 0 MOA rail
21.7" Criterion 6.5 Creedmoor stainless barrel, KRG X-Ray chassis with MDT mags

lglidewell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 02:00 PM   #25
B&C
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post

The 260 hasn't been around that long and it's another example of remington being a terrible marketing company. The creed targeted the bench rest guys, set records, and worked with Ruger/Savage to offer bench rest accuracy in cheap rifles with factory ammo. It left the 260 in the dust! It's not the 1st time (probably not the last) they've been forward thinking but failed to capitalize on it!
Old 11-09-2017, 02:04 PM   #26
B&C
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick8 View Post
I'm a 260 lover and just snagged a 65x284 but may have to re-barrel my savage to a Creed. You guys are slowly convincing me.

It would make a nice suppressor rifle in an 18" Bartlein RV profile...

Op, as always great video work.
If I would have bought my 6.5 Creed 1st, I wouldn't own a 6.5x284. My 6.5x284 is only 90 fps faster (120gr bullets), with 10gr more powder, has significantly more recoil and the accuracy is about the same between my 2 rifles. I'm sure the 284 will widen the gap with heavier bullets but the recoil will increase as well.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:10 PM   #27
TCB
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuramaxDude View Post
Hmmm cool deal. Would be cool to see what a 129gr SST or 143 ELD-X or something would do in the same situation.
I've killed several animals from hogs, whitetail to oryx and elk with my 6.5CM. The 143 ELD-X works great, especially on the bigger animals. I've seen several instances on Texas whitetail where that bullet killed the deer but minimal blood trail, etc. I'm actually about to grab a box of the 129 SST for a trip next weekend to see how they perform on Texas WT and hogs. If you're hunting bigger animals, you can't go wrong with the ELD-X.

I'm also glad to see this issue with the Winchester XP brought up before that hunt. I was going to take my .243 as well and have it sighted in with that ammo. I think I'll grab a box of the SST's for it as well. I've got a buddy that just shot a buck with that .243 SST and said the inside looked like a bomb went off
TCB is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 02:16 PM   #28
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCB View Post
I've killed several animals from hogs, whitetail to oryx and elk with my 6.5CM. The 143 ELD-X works great, especially on the bigger animals. I've seen several instances on Texas whitetail where that bullet killed the deer but minimal blood trail, etc. I'm actually about to grab a box of the 129 SST for a trip next weekend to see how they perform on Texas WT and hogs. If you're hunting bigger animals, you can't go wrong with the ELD-X.

I'm also glad to see this issue with the Winchester XP brought up before that hunt. I was going to take my .243 as well and have it sighted in with that ammo. I think I'll grab a box of the SST's for it as well. I've got a buddy that just shot a buck with that .243 SST and said the inside looked like a bomb went off
I have seen some videos from the Best of the West guys and others using the 6.5mm 143gr ELD-X on deer to moose at some really long ranges with awesome results.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:18 PM   #29
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&C View Post
If I would have bought my 6.5 Creed 1st, I wouldn't own a 6.5x284. My 6.5x284 is only 90 fps faster (120gr bullets), with 10gr more powder, has significantly more recoil and the accuracy is about the same between my 2 rifles. I'm sure the 284 will widen the gap with heavier bullets but the recoil will increase as well.
I hear ya, I picked up a trued savage 116 with a 26 inch Bartlein. It should be a long range hammer with the 140-147 ELD's.

I'd like the Creed in an 18 inch barrel with the suppressor as most of my shots are under 300 yards. It would be a great every day blind rifle but still a fun long range plinker.
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 03:35 PM   #30
lglidewell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco & Burleson County

Quote:

I was really considering the .264... but talking to my buddy, who builds them, I had some criteria I needed met.
- had to have as little recoil as possible because the wife (and eventually kids) would also be shooting/hunting with it periodically
- I wanted ammo to be some what affordable and somewhat easily available (if needed) since I donít currently have the time to reload.

and there was some other reasons, but I donít remember what they were now.
lglidewell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 03:50 PM   #31
str8ght
Four Point

I love all the 6.5 rounds I've got a grendel 260 creedmoor and 26 nosler. Creedmoor is stealth and 260 is remington 5r but after putting a trigger in remington which is a no brainer I can't tell you one is better than the other. Love the option on brass for 260 but side by side I can't notice a difference. I'm no professional shooter by any means but have successfully shot a little over 700 with both same day same time and back to back shots. Shooting same bullets in both 140 berger and they both have killed deer just as good as the other. My wife and I both shot axis during the summer shoulder shot on both. Less than 10yd recovery on both. Several wt as well drt. O know guys have pride in there equipment and you have to to be successful but from an average shooter in average hunting situations I couldn't tell you that 6.5 or 260 killed better than the other.
str8ght is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 04:18 PM   #32
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

Quote:

Preach..
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 04:25 PM   #33
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

It's all hair splitting to most of us.

I'm on board with anyone buying a new rifle/caliber...whatever. And I'm sure it's a fantastic round...but it's not the miracle pill it seems to get credit for being.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:00 PM   #34
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

Can't we all just get along?

Love my Grendel and HATED seeing the CM. I'd love a CM in the AR platform, but retired so picking my "wants" carefully. Rarely shoot the bolt CM but it's a tack driver as well...just a AR Platform fan....

Oh, 260 does a great job as well...got one....
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 05:20 PM   #35
TexMax
Pope & Young

Dang ol creed with a vortex on top whoooooeeeeee. So fine you'll leave your old lady. Make it a rpr and you might as well take the week off
TexMax is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 05:22 PM   #36
Sidro
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas

Have a Ruger American in 6.5 cm 22" bbl and just built an AR in 6.5 cm 18" bbl. Both are tack drivers and the wife likes to shoot both. Ruger was $370 and AR build was $1200.
Sidro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 05:46 PM   #37
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumathebear View Post
Can't we all just get along?

Love my Grendel and HATED seeing the CM. I'd love a CM in the AR platform, but retired so picking my "wants" carefully. Rarely shoot the bolt CM but it's a tack driver as well...just a AR Platform fan....

Oh, 260 does a great job as well...got one....
Just got my Grendel upper today.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:51 PM   #38
300rem7
Eight Point

Has anyone tried the Remington 700 AAC-SD in 6.5? I was wondering if it handled the 140gr+ match ammo?
300rem7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 05:56 PM   #39
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

Quote:
Just got my Grendel upper today.
Good for you...I think you will LIKE it!!
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 06:10 PM   #40
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: my birthday suit

Quote:
The 260 hasn't been around that long and it's another example of remington being a terrible marketing company. The creed targeted the bench rest guys, set records, and worked with Ruger/Savage to offer bench rest accuracy in cheap rifles with factory ammo. It left the 260 in the dust! It's not the 1st time (probably not the last) they've been forward thinking but failed to capitalize on it!

What the 6.5 CM can do, the 260 Rem can do at faster velocities and longer ranges. The 260 Rem was commercialized in '96 or '97. That's a while. It has set all sorts of shooting records and has insane ballistics.

Remington pee'd all over the 260 not only because of marketing but because of the stupidity of a 1:9" twist barrel and a short chamber prohibiting the longer 140s to be loaded out of the powder column. I'm not discounting the validity of a 6.5 CM, but like Dale Moser said, it isn't the magic pill.

These are pics of entry/exit holes on the same doe using a 120 gr Sierra Pro-Hunter.

Attached Images

Livin'2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 08:06 PM   #41
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

The bottom lines is that any well constructed bullet weighing over 100grs that leaves the muzzle at over 2800 FPS will kill Texas deer flat out stone dead to 300yds. People want to get on the train and the 6.5CM happens to be the current train.

There is no arguing that a high BC 6.5CM will match the 300 WM from a trajectory standpoint out to 1000 yds but it isnít carrying the same mail when it gets there. The question is how many folks actually get a chance to shoot that far.

For the guys that think they need a 6.5 CM, go get you one and please post pics because I love rifle ****. They kill good but 99% of guys that buy one will see no benefit over any other popular centerfire cartridge when it actually comes to killing game.

Remington also screwed up the 6mm and then Winchester slipped in with the 243. Same barrel twist the 6mm outshoots the 243 and the 260 outshoots the CM and you have an endless supply of brass.

175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 08:14 PM   #42
DarrellS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Limestone and Mills Counties

Love my 6.5-284
DarrellS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 08:16 PM   #43
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:

Preach it brother Dale!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 08:17 PM   #44
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:

**** poor marketing by Remington doesnít make them perform any less than they do.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:18 PM   #45
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:

You are doing it wrong.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:21 PM   #46
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMax View Post
Dang ol creed with a vortex on top whoooooeeeeee. So fine you'll leave your old lady. Make it a rpr and you might as well take the week off

You lost me at Creedmoor AND Vortex......lol.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:48 PM   #47
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

Quote:
it isn't the magic pill.
What is?

Love my 6.5CM, pretty much everything about it.

But the accuracy of the factory loaded ammo is pretty magical I can tell you that.

Great video. You had me for a minute but I wound up laughing. Good shooting too.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 08:49 PM   #48
B&C
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
What the 6.5 CM can do, the 260 Rem can do at faster velocities and longer ranges. The 260 Rem was commercialized in '96 or '97. That's a while. It has set all sorts of shooting records and has insane ballistics.

Remington pee'd all over the 260 not only because of marketing but because of the stupidity of a 1:9" twist barrel and a short chamber prohibiting the longer 140s to be loaded out of the powder column. I'm not discounting the validity of a 6.5 CM, but like Dale Moser said, it isn't the magic pill.

These are pics of entry/exit holes on the same doe using a 120 gr Sierra Pro-Hunter.

Leaving the 260 in the dust in sales. They're virtually the same rifle and the 260 was poorly marketed was my point. The 6.5 craze has been great for the reloader with added bullet options, powder recipes, etc.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:56 PM   #49
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Leaving the 260 in the dust in sales........

Yep thatís what usually happens when people are sheep.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:03 PM   #50
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Leaving the 260 in the dust in sales. They're virtually the same rifle and the 260 was poorly marketed was my point. The 6.5 craze has been great for the reloader with added bullet options, powder recipes, etc.
Sales don't mean squat in the deer blind, or on the range. The .260 will out perform the CM, and the .264 Mag is there if you want to hit high gear. The CM is obviously a super capable round, but it's a solution to a problem that didn't exist.

I'm all for whatever anyone wants to shoot, just don't really see why everyone thinks this CM is somehow revolutionary.....carry on, I do enjoy looking at all of your rigs.