No announcement yet.

GSP or Brittany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't overlook a standard poodle if they are going to double as a house dog. I would try to find one out of hunting stock though.

Comment

Get ya a GSP. They are all around a great dog and a retrieving machine.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Comment

My vote is GSP as well.

Comment

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
          Thanks a ton for all of the input! I have learned a ton from your experience! I will definitely look into a Boykin! I have worried about the energy levels of the Brittany’s and GSP and you guys have confirmed my fears! Any leads on a reputable Boykin breeder?
          The energy level is something to consider before ownership. I can't speak on brit's, spaniels or boykin, but gsp, vizzla and weims need to be worked. Now, with that being said, it's not hard to work a good dog. If you have a decent size back yard, that will help. Take them to some open field area's that you can run them off leash. I take mine mountain biking and hiking off leash. a good swimming hole is hard to beat. This is something you need to consider before purchasing. I try to do "something" w/ them 3 - 4 times a week. 2 times per week being the very least.

Comment

Originally posted by Birddog66 View Post
            The energy level is something to consider before ownership. I can't speak on brit's, spaniels or boykin, but gsp, vizzla and weims need to be worked. Now, with that being said, it's not hard to work a good dog. If you have a decent size back yard, that will help. Take them to some open field area's that you can run them off leash. I take mine mountain biking and hiking off leash. a good swimming hole is hard to beat. This is something you need to consider before purchasing. I try to do "something" w/ them 3 - 4 times a week. 2 times per week being the very least.
            Awesome advice, we live on a small piece of land so that shouldn’t be an issue. I just want to make sure I am capable of giving the pup what they need. My dad owns a pointer and he has always demanded a ton of attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
              She would also stink eye you horribly for missing.
              Mine gives me a little chirp/bark, just to really drive home his displeasure. Then kind of looks around, like nahhhhh, you couldn't have missed that shot.

I want to say GSPs were breed back in the day to be an all round hunting dog. This was when you had flushing dogs, pointers, retrievers, trailing dogs, etc. GSPs were the poor mans dog, because you only needed one to hunt everything, fur to feather. They are very eager to please dogs, you just have to figure out their language.

The sweet vizsla. And my GSP.
              Attached Files

Comment

GSP!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If all you do is shoot doves, and you want a small dog, then a spaniel is what you need. Boykin, Springer, or Cocker...either of the three. Obviously, make sure they're a field bred line. I've had several Boykins and a Springer. You just can't ask for better all-around dogs(or dove dogs). They'll also find your deer for you too if you teach them how.

Comment

I have a litter of gsp on the way. Never thought I would mate a dog but after watching her in the field I had to keep her blood line going. She is full blown pray driven dog. It doesn't matter dove, quail or hogs. She will find it all. Solid points with basically no field training except the basic commands. We shot over 300 quail with her last year and she started the season out at 9 months old.

We had a Boykin out this weekend that had zero pray drive but I have also had experance with gsp that wouldn't work a field. I guess just like any breed blood lines matter.

If you want to train a dog that's all good of you have time and live birds. If you want a true hunting dog your going to pay for it up front but in the long run its well worth it.

Comment

My uncle runs Brittany's and he loves them. He bird hunts exclusively from Canada to midland I think he has had 10 or so

Comment

My britt only lived til 8 years. Tons of drive and energy. If my grandson picked up a pellet rifle and headed out the back door, don't get between the dog and the door. Shoot a dove out of the tree in the yard, and it wouldn't hit the ground. He would carry a wounded dove for 15 mins, and not hurt it until you tried to get it from him. Not his fault, we never broke him to retrieve, he only had half of it down. His first dove hunt, I turned him out, and he caught a dove that was in the grass near the truck. Had my grandson take him off 75 yds or so, fired my shotgun, and he got scared and nervous. Stayed beside me until he figured out he shotgun knocked down the birds, I don't think he ever heard one after that.

I really cared for mine, but they have tons of energy. My first clue, when searching for one on the internet, was all the Brittany rescue organizations there are. If you don't have lots of time, the hard core bird dog breeds wont make good pets. If I was looking today, I would consider an English setter, and raise her in the house. But I'm predjudiced as we raised them when I was growing up, and don't think there is a more loyal and gentle dog to have with children. Although some of the bird dogs we had were wound up. Good luck with whatever breed you choose, the more time you spend with them, the more you will get out or your dog.

Comment

I was in same boat a few years ago

My Britt is extremely good on downed birds... but I stake her out. She ain't going to sit at your side like a lab. She will hunt as hard as any lab but lacks the handling ain't I don't see her being proficient at whistle and hand commands. But she marks doubles and delivers to hand

... as far as the family part. If a jack Russell could talk it would tell her to " CALM THE &@$* DOWN!"
                          She was originally going to be a house dog as well, but just too much energy. Good manners and great with bigger kids but too hyper for under 3

Just my insight on them. For the record I'm not a fan of gsp ( but that's just my personal opinion)
                          Attached Files

Comment

I have decided on a Vizsla, it came down to a Vizsla or Boykin after reading all of your comments and hours of research. I chose a Vizsla because of their short hair and abundance of sticker burs on my place. This leads me to my next question, what should I expect to pay for pup and does anyone have any recommendations on breeders in TX? I called one breeder yesterday and the guy was very friendly and full of information but the price of his pups left me in shock. I understand a good dog is not cheap but do not want to overpay if I don't have to. Thanks again for all of your advice!

Comment

With hunting background and being a " novelty " dog $750-$1000 my guess. Take away the novelty part and $500-$750

Comment

Have you considered a pudelpointer? I own 2 from Cedarwood Gundogs(Boise Idaho).

Great at retrieving, blood tracking and chill family dogs. Get a smooth coat for Texas.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X