This elk taste like *#%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This elk taste like *#%

My lease mate blast a spike elk on our Hillcounty lease , well he got it back
    From the processer, and it taste awful,first he fixed hamburgers with it and it was dry and gross, " he likes it hockey puck well done "
    then he made elk burger mixed with pork sausage again and it was again gross, this past weekend, I tried it made into summer sausage, one bite and my lab was a happy dog we both use the same game processing place and my stuff taste good, he is very touchy when I will turn down eating his elk , but it is the worst elk I have ever had!! And he insist it is the best he has ever had , I wonder if he did not get it cooled off in time or processer messed it up? Or if something else happened like bad feed " it was breaking into a feeder pen "
    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 12-04-2017, 10:55 PM.

I've shot several elk cows, and my wife has as well, and we've never had any problems with meat. But then again, we process our own, so we usually add 20 percent tallow, or do 73/27 beef and do a 50/50 split.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
      From the processer, and it taste awful,first he fixed hamburgers with it and it was dry and gross, " he likes it hockey puck well done "
      then he made elk burger mixed with pork sausage again and it was again gross, this past weekend, I tried it made into summer sausage, one bite and my lab was a happy dog we both use the same game processing place and my stuff taste good, he is very touchy when I will turn down eating his elk , but it is the worst elk I have ever had!! And he insist it is the best he has ever had , I wonder if he did not get it cooled off in time or processer messed it up? Or if something else happened like bad feed " it was breaking into a feeder pen "

Something is wrong. Whitetail deer is 4th on the list for me for wild game that I have had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
        Something is wrong. Whitetail deer is 4th on the list for me for wild game that I have had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Yep this is not my first rodeo with elk ,just first with one that taste so terrible
        Maybe it was sick?'

Comment

Yeah, something's wrong. Elk is better than beef to me.

Comment

Never eaten hill country elk, maybe available food makes it taste different.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
              Bribe him into getting it made in Buck stix or summer sausage. OR find out what freezer he has it in and unplug it.

Seriously though, I have found that ground game must be mixed with 20-25 % beef tallow to keep from drying out, unless your just using it for chili or taco meat.

Comment

Maybe your eating from the wrong end

Comment

I’ve only ever had elk that I would choose any day over beef or pretty much anything else for that matter. My guess is there was an issue somewhere along the way with the meat or how it was handled.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Your buddy got screwed at the processor in my opinion. He didn’t get Elk back. They kept that meat for themselves I would bet. I could be wrong but a spike elk should be awesome

Comment

Did he skin it right away? If not the hide will retain heat, even in a walk in cooler, and will spoil.

Comment

I've had Texas elk and it was very gamey compared to elk I've had from CO and NM.

Comment

Something with handling/. Got to get them opened up and skinned fast. They will sour/spoil faster than whitetail. I've had elk from Texas. Shot it when cold. Shot 2 cows in neck. Both were gutted and opens up within minutes.

Comment

Diet plain and simple. Probably eating all those cedar berries, that will turn a WT nasty as well.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                              Diet plain and simple. Probably eating all those cedar berries, that will turn a WT nasty as well.
                              The elk where braking into the protein feed,
                              He has shot 2 more a cow and another spike, both gutted and hauled into town within a hour,he had 100% summer sausage and link made out of one
                              The other back straps and ground burger, I hope for his sake the other ones are better

Comment

Working...
                              X