Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, how big a girl is she? Thanksgiving hunt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, how big a girl is she? Thanksgiving hunt.

My youngest son and I got away with Mimi and Papa to the ranch for Thanksgiving. My oldest is working at Fry’s now so he had to stay behind to work. That adulting thing sucks! He ended up with the flu so I had to get him on the mend before we left him to house and dog sit and make himself ready for the madness known as Black Friday!

We left out Wednesday morning early and made it to the ranch early enough to unpack and get set up for the afternoon hunt. Most of my hunts were in a bow box blind set up overlooking one of two feeders for a rifle blind. As luck would have it all of the animals seemed to come in at the far feeder. You can almost make it out in the middle of this pic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A_Bow Blind View.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	25134033

It’s about 160 yards between the two feeders. I had the Halon at the ready, wanting to get it a little bloody! Unfortunately nothing ventured to my side.

Name:	B_Halon ReadyR.JPG
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	25134040

I hunted a ladder stand at a different set Thanksgiving morning and had lots of animals in range but nothing I wanted to draw on. There were some Fallow does and a nubbin buck and a spike Sika. The Fallows I suspect are the same group I’ve been seeing at the hill. I saw a cull whitetail buck too, tall narrow six without brow tines but he walked on by without coming in, I guess the lack of whitetail does kept him going.

Name:	B1_Fallow Ladder View.JPG
Size:	310.2 KB
ID:	25134035

Name:	C_Sika.JPG
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	25134036

Name:	D_Nubbin.JPG
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	25134037

On the last day I put a couple of sacks of corn in each of the feeders and had a good idea which ones pigs were coming to by the sign. Five stand locations each with two feeders (one with three) and a feeder at the house. All in all it was a lot of corn! I knew there were pigs coming into the Hill Blind but they weren’t coming to the side with the bow blind. There were pigs in the bottom too. I corned both locations for bow and rifle hunting for the evening.

I tried to convince my son to sit in the Hill Blind but he chose the bottom instead. Our one goal was to come home with some pork so I decided to sit at the hill, but instead of in the bow blind I sat in the rifle stand with Papa’s Ruger Number 1 in .22-250. Here’s my view, the right feeder (with the bow blind) ranged at 167 yards and the left at 205.

Name:	E_Rifle Blind View.JPG
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	25134038

At 5:30 the pigs started showing up to the left feeder, first the little ones that were just losing their stripes, then a larger black one, and another, and another, then a black and white spotted one. That’s the one I want! Not too big and not too little. Well, he had the idea that he wanted to live another day. As the light starts to dim and without a shot opportunity on the spotted pig I set my sights on a larger black one. She stops to eat… I settle the cross hairs on her head… breathe in… exhale and squeeze. The Ruger barks, the .22-250 splits her skull and she’s down for the count!

So you made it this far reading about a rifle killed pig… what do you think she weighs?

Name:	F_Pig1.JPG
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	25134039
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Cazador; 12-04-2017, 01:16 AM.

90lbs

Comment

Comment

Only two guesses? Maybe another pick to help y'all out.

Name:	G_Pig2.JPG
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	24522241

Unfortunately I didn't get a "real" picture, only these deceptive ones...

Comment

Lol, got me.

Comment

Lol

Comment

Comment

Comment

55 lbs after that last pic. You sneaky dog. With that s*** eatin' grin on your face.

Comment

Comment

40 pounds.

Comment

51lbs

Comment

under 100

Comment

About the right size to split in half and put on a smoker

Comment

They're "big" when their head won't hang in that bucket you got sittin' under that shoat...

Oh an' iffin you don't shave soon, you gonna haf ta get u one them red suits n black boots!! HOoo, HOoo, HOoo... (in my best Christmas Story voice)

Comment

Working...
                              X