How can I clean this gun up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I clean this gun up?

I inherited this gun. It shoots fine but is in rough condition. Is there I can do to clean it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would find a gun smith and get it reblued or cerakoted

Comment

I just use steel wool and gun oil to clean rust up. Don't go too crazy or it'll rub the bluing off to the metal. Unless you just want to get it reblued then it'd be fine.

Comment

You will get that rust off with steel wool and gun oil but I’m sorry to say you will remove some bluing and there is a good chance it will be pitted. After you get it cleaned up get you some oxpho-blue and a hair dryer and go to town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Fun guns, I've had one for about 35 years. Shoots great, worth the effort to clean it up.

Comment

Find a rust inhibitor and try to keep the original patina. The value will increase with time.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
              I just use steel wool and gun oil to clean rust up. Don't go too crazy or it'll rub the bluing off to the metal. Unless you just want to get it reblued then it'd be fine.
              Very fine steel wool.

Comment

Rb17 works better than gun oil it'll remove surface rust with a patch if you let it sit for a bit.. I haven't found a course enough steel wool that didn't scratch a gun yet but your Pretty well past that point.

Comment

It depends if you want to keep the most value or make it a plinking gun? Value just stop the rusting and lightly clean it up. If you are gonna shoot it then get it cerekoted

Comment

I don’t really expect to get this gun looking new but do want to clean it up. I have reblued a rifle one time and it turned out pretty good. I prob will just get to cleaning the rust up and reblue it like i did the rifle. Thank you for all the advice! Keep it coming

Comment

In 100% condition the gun is worth maybe $200 I would get some fine steel wool and some PB Blaster and clean it up. Oil it up good and clean the barrel then try your best to wear it out. It is a shooter not a seller.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                        In 100% condition the gun is worth maybe $200 I would get some fine steel wool and some PB Blaster and clean it up. Oil it up good and clean the barrel then try your best to wear it out. It is a shooter not a seller.
                        That’s what I’m thinking!!! Thank you

Comment

I have an old browning a-bolt I was give me years ago and it was in similarly rough condition. Not worth much more than sentimental value but I want to hunt with it and like things to look fairly nice. I removed the barreled action, sanded it down to bare metal, and did a diy duracoat job on it. Dropped it in a Boyd’s thumbhole stock and installed Timney springs in the trigger. It’s a pretty nice fun now.

My long winded story is to say, if you like it and want to shoot it, don’t be afraid to take it down and build it back up. Might turn into a fun little project.

Comment

Seems to me there was an article in a recent NRA magazine of the difficulty in re assembly when you take down that pistol.

Comment

I've seen where electrolysis will take the rust off tools rusted beyond recognition to near brand new, but without scouring the finish. I've never heard of it used for guns, but it would seem like an option here.

Comment

Working...
                              X