Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 10:33 AM   #1
Horitexan
Pope & Young
 
Horitexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sabinal, TX
Hunt In: Brushy Hill Ranch, Sabinal, TX
Default New Seekins HAVAK rifle

Just saw this over on another forum and thought some folks might be interested. Everything Seekins makes is very high quality and I'll bet this is no exception. I'm going to try and convince our local gun shop to get one - I'd like to see it in person. Pretty decent price point for everything that's included.

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/part...ion-rifle.html




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Horitexan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2017, 02:54 PM   #2
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young
 
txoutdoorsman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: In camo
Default

It sure is pretty
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-02-2017, 10:33 PM   #3
LuBowhunter
Pope & Young
 
LuBowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hamshire, Texas
Hunt In: Real County, Chambers County, Kansas, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Nebraska
Default

Wow
LuBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2017, 05:37 AM   #4
Gummi Bear
Pope & Young
 
Gummi Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Arlington
Hunt In: Comanche & Eastland
Default

Looks like a nice rifle, especially for that price

I am not fond of the barrel fluting tho. Too busy. I'd really rather have a smooth barrel.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Gummi Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2017, 09:37 PM   #5
Horitexan
Pope & Young
 
Horitexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sabinal, TX
Hunt In: Brushy Hill Ranch, Sabinal, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummi Bear View Post
Looks like a nice rifle, especially for that price

I am not fond of the barrel fluting tho. Too busy. I'd really rather have a smooth barrel.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


I hear ya. They are busy. I thought they were cool when they first came out with spiral fluting but now everything seems to have it. I prefer straight flutes myself, if I'm going to flute. But, I'd prolly deal with it for the price. If I didn't have one custom already in process and another planned as a switch barrel rifle, I'd jump all over this.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Horitexan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2017, 12:31 PM   #6
Doug's_Optics
Six Point
 
Doug's_Optics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Default

I feel the same about the fluting... I like straight fluting.... But does anyone know what the spiral fluting does rigidity wise?... I'm thinking, and I very well could be wrong, that the spiral fluting would be less rigid...
Doug's_Optics is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-04-2017, 12:36 PM   #7
BlackHogDown
Ten Point
 
BlackHogDown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: NW Houston
Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug's_Optics View Post
I feel the same about the fluting... I like straight fluting.... But does anyone know what the spiral fluting does rigidity wise?... I'm thinking, and I very well could be wrong, that the spiral fluting would be less rigid...
This got my wheels spinnin' as well.

http://www.snipercountry.com/article...relfluting.asp
BlackHogDown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2017, 09:15 AM   #8
Horitexan
Pope & Young
 
Horitexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sabinal, TX
Hunt In: Brushy Hill Ranch, Sabinal, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug's_Optics View Post
I feel the same about the fluting... I like straight fluting.... But does anyone know what the spiral fluting does rigidity wise?... I'm thinking, and I very well could be wrong, that the spiral fluting would be less rigid...


My GS says that it reduces rigidity. I mentioned possibly doing spiral fluting and he went "NOoooo!!!" Lol! Begged me to use straight flutes if I wanted to flute. He's a benchrest guy. He said if I wanted to shed weight, I should go to a lighter profile, not use fluting. So, I opted to man-up and carry the extra few ounces.
Horitexan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2017, 09:56 AM   #9
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horitexan View Post
My GS says that it reduces rigidity. I mentioned possibly doing spiral fluting and he went "NOoooo!!!" Lol! Begged me to use straight flutes if I wanted to flute. He's a benchrest guy. He said if I wanted to shed weight, I should go to a lighter profile, not use fluting. So, I opted to man-up and carry the extra few ounces.
They should be more rigid than a smaller profile of the same weight though. Mine will be a 2b with spiral fluting. That rifle is almost all about weight though
bphillips is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2017, 10:00 AM   #10
Black Ice
Pope & Young
 
Black Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baton Rouge
Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County
Default

I wish I was rich cause there are soooo many cool things I want to buy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2017, 06:36 PM   #11
Horitexan
Pope & Young
 
Horitexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sabinal, TX
Hunt In: Brushy Hill Ranch, Sabinal, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
They should be more rigid than a smaller profile of the same weight though. Mine will be a 2b with spiral fluting. That rifle is almost all about weight though


I dunno. Might be. Turns out, the more people I talked to (GS's included) the more horror stories I heard about fluting. Perfectly good barrels turning out badly. Definitely a small percentage of the time but it just wasn't worth it to me. Risk vs reward. We all have to make our own assessment.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Horitexan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2017, 09:14 PM   #12
Mike D
Pope & Young
 
Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horitexan View Post
I dunno. Might be. Turns out, the more people I talked to (GS's included) the more horror stories I heard about fluting. Perfectly good barrels turning out badly. Definitely a small percentage of the time but it just wasn't worth it to me. Risk vs reward. We all have to make our own assessment.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Depends on when the fluting is done. Fluting isn't going to affect a premium barrel when done by the barrel maker. My Krieger barrel is fluted and shoots 1/4" groups with factory ammo.

You can ruin a barrel by fluting after all the machine work is done and the barrel isn't stress relieved.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2017, 12:14 AM   #13
Horitexan
Pope & Young
 
Horitexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sabinal, TX
Hunt In: Brushy Hill Ranch, Sabinal, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Depends on when the fluting is done. Fluting isn't going to affect a premium barrel when done by the barrel maker. My Krieger barrel is fluted and shoots 1/4" groups with factory ammo.

You can ruin a barrel by fluting after all the machine work is done and the barrel isn't stress relieved.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro


Yeah, that I agree with totally. Besides, if it did go bad, they're certainly going to warranty the barrel. I'm sure 98% of fluting jobs go perfectly even with 3rd parties. My 'luck' is such that I would be in that 2%. Lol! I talked to Bartlein about fluting my barrel but the weight they said it would shave was so minimal that it hardly seemed worth spending $150 on.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Horitexan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2017, 08:27 AM   #14
Maxlab
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Jimwells/Gonzalez
Default

With today's custom barrels I would not worry about fluting. I have had 2 done by a 3rd party no issues. Both Rifles will do 1/4 groups with factory ammo. My GS guarantees his work and accuracy. If it does not shoot well then he is replacing the barrel on it before it leaves his shop. More importantly is the person doing the fluting work.
Maxlab is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2017, 10:12 PM   #15
texasnavy05
Ten Point
 
texasnavy05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Snook, TX
Hunt In: Snook, TX
Default

semi custom off the shelf rifle! i like it! but, it seems like a very similar build to an apr ranger...and with the apr you have a few more options.

either way i like the way the industry is moving!



Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
texasnavy05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2017, 11:25 AM   #16
KC Huntin
Ten Point
 
KC Huntin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Antonio
Default

Anyone have any more info on this rifle and or how it shoots?

And if you were to get one which cal 6mm Creed, 6.5 Creed or 6.5 PRC?
KC Huntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2017, 12:48 PM   #17
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Wilson County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horitexan View Post
Yeah, that I agree with totally. Besides, if it did go bad, they're certainly going to warranty the barrel. I'm sure 98% of fluting jobs go perfectly even with 3rd parties. My 'luck' is such that I would be in that 2%. Lol! I talked to Bartlein about fluting my barrel but the weight they said it would shave was so minimal that it hardly seemed worth spending $150 on.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had a very similar conversation earlier in the week. I am trying to get a new build as well, finalized yesterday on deal. I wanted to keep the package under 8 pounds so I went with a Manners Hunter Elite stock and can still use a number 5 sporter profile on the barrel with straight flutes.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2017, 12:53 PM   #18
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor
 
Cajun Blake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SW Louisiana
Hunt In: public & pvt land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I had a very similar conversation earlier in the week. I am trying to get a new build as well, finalized yesterday on deal. I wanted to keep the package under 8 pounds so I went with a Manners Hunter Elite stock and can still use a number 5 sporter profile on the barrel with straight flutes.
you're right on the money

action - 2 lbs. 4 ozs.
stock - 1 lb. 10 ozs.
barrel - 3 lbs 11 ozs.

total - 7 lbs. 10 ozs.
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2017, 02:12 PM   #19
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Wilson County
Default

After having a few rifles built you realize whats needed and whats not, I do not want a 10 pound rifle that I have to drag around hunting. Of course if your in a stand or blind, weight is not that important.

I hate tall turrets on a hunting scope too. I always worry about knocking the darn thing off or damage.

Last edited by Radar; 11-22-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2017, 02:15 PM   #20
35remington
Pope & Young
 
35remington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Wilco
Hunt In: the dark
Default

The LaRue Siete is just around the corner. I will wait for that. Or a Fix by Q.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2017, 02:31 PM   #21
JakeGraves
Ten Point
 
JakeGraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Hunt In: Bronte, TX
Default

I bought one for my brother in 6.5PRC from Cabelas. Still waiting for it to come in. According to Glen, Cabelas will receive the first batch of PRC’s.
JakeGraves is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #22
BBRU
Ten Point
 
BBRU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fannett,Tx
Hunt In: Anywhere....
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
I wish I was rich cause there are soooo many cool things I want to buy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are, stop whining and buy one
BBRU is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2017, 03:11 PM   #23
kcmarullo
Ten Point
 
kcmarullo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Danbury Tx
Hunt In: South Tx, Oklahoma
Default

I have the spiral flutes on my 7STW I wish I would have never done that ! it Makes it a lot harder to wipe down !
kcmarullo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2017, 03:33 PM   #24
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxlab View Post
With today's custom barrels I would not worry about fluting. I have had 2 done by a 3rd party no issues. Both Rifles will do 1/4 groups with factory ammo. My GS guarantees his work and accuracy. If it does not shoot well then he is replacing the barrel on it before it leaves his shop. More importantly is the person doing the fluting work.
Yep. Same here. My #5 lilja got spiral fluted. It's a hammer
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #25
mzurovec
Ten Point
 
mzurovec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Liberty Hill
Hunt In: Blanco, Burnet
Default

Has anybody shot one of these? Any feedback?
mzurovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #26
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzurovec View Post
Has anybody shot one of these? Any feedback?
Buddy got one in 6CM. Itís a hammer.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2018, 01:56 PM   #27
mzurovec
Ten Point
 
mzurovec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Liberty Hill
Hunt In: Blanco, Burnet
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Buddy got one in 6CM. Itís a hammer.
I figured.

Cabela's has a misprint in their current shooting catalogue listing the price at $599. I called and tried to order one in each caliber, knowing it was a misprint, and they said a ton of people had been calling. The real price is $1999.99, but to make up for the error, they are offering a $500 gift card.

Thinking hard about a 6CM or 6.5PRC.
mzurovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2018, 01:58 PM   #28
trophy8
Pope & Young
 
trophy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgetown Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzurovec View Post
I figured.

Cabela's has a misprint in their current shooting catalogue listing the price at $599. I called and tried to order one in each caliber, knowing it was a misprint, and they said a ton of people had been calling. The real price is $1999.99, but to make up for the error, they are offering a $500 gift card.

Thinking hard about a 6CM or 6.5PRC.
Holy smokes
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2018, 02:12 PM   #29
frazee3200
Ten Point
 
frazee3200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Glen Rose
Hunt In: Coleman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzurovec View Post
I figured.

Cabela's has a misprint in their current shooting catalogue listing the price at $599. I called and tried to order one in each caliber, knowing it was a misprint, and they said a ton of people had been calling. The real price is $1999.99, but to make up for the error, they are offering a $500 gift card.

Thinking hard about a 6CM or 6.5PRC.
Do I have to buy it to get a $500 dollar girft card lol
frazee3200 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2018, 05:47 PM   #30
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Wilson County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzurovec View Post
I figured.

Cabela's has a misprint in their current shooting catalogue listing the price at $599. I called and tried to order one in each caliber, knowing it was a misprint, and they said a ton of people had been calling. The real price is $1999.99, but to make up for the error, they are offering a $500 gift card.

Thinking hard about a 6CM or 6.5PRC.
Is that deal still going? The gift card could be applied to the rifle? When I looked them up on cabelas it says 2899.00

Last edited by Radar; 01-27-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2018, 05:51 PM   #31
mzurovec
Ten Point
 
mzurovec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Liberty Hill
Hunt In: Blanco, Burnet
Default

Not sure if you can apply the gift card to the rifle. If you call them, tell them you saw in the current shooting catalogue that the gun was listed for $599 and you wanted to order one and see what they tell you.
mzurovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2018, 05:51 PM   #32
mzurovec
Ten Point
 
mzurovec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Liberty Hill
Hunt In: Blanco, Burnet
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Is that deal still going? The gift card could be applied to the rifle?
Meant to quote you in my last post.
mzurovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2018, 05:54 PM   #33
cantexduck
Pope & Young
 
cantexduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Florence,Texas/ Willamson
Hunt In: all over central Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Is that deal still going? The gift card could be applied to the rifle? When I looked them up on cabelas it says 2899.00
I doubt it but will order one if so.
cantexduck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2018, 06:00 PM   #34
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Wilson County
Default

I don’t have a shooting catalog, I threw the dang thing away and did not look in it. Online it says 2899.00 and the calibers available did not interest me, I thought this might be a custom order and you could pick calibers.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2018, 07:23 PM   #35
mzurovec
Ten Point
 
mzurovec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Liberty Hill
Hunt In: Blanco, Burnet
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantexduck View Post
I doubt it but will order one if so.
Here's a photo from the catalog. If you decide to call, like I did this morning, ask to make an order for item number SA-292888. They've had a ton of calls so they'll know you're looking for the Seekins even though that product number is actually for a Mossberg. They will then tell you that they are offering a $500 gift card if you decide to buy the rifle at full price ($1999.99). I did not ask if they would apply the giftcard to the rifle.

Good luck!
Attached Images
 
mzurovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2018, 07:29 PM   #36
cantexduck
Pope & Young
 
cantexduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Florence,Texas/ Willamson
Hunt In: all over central Texas
Default

I called two times getting different people each time. They never mentioned a gift card. I will try that in the morning.
cantexduck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2018, 07:43 PM   #37
mzurovec
Ten Point
 
mzurovec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Liberty Hill
Hunt In: Blanco, Burnet
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantexduck View Post
I called two times getting different people each time. They never mentioned a gift card. I will try that in the morning.
Yeah, I'd act disappointed that the item number was misleading and see what happens. Might have just been the gal I talked with, who I think was named Debbie.

Again, good luck!
mzurovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com