Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2017, 08:38 PM   #1
txhoghunter73
Ten Point
 
txhoghunter73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Henly, TX.
Hunt In: Henly TX, Kerrville TX, and Blanco TX.
Default 6.5 Grendel Hunting Bullet Question

I ordered a 6.5 Grendel from GrendelHunter.com about 3 months ago. I bought some Hornady Black 123 ELD-M ammo from academy because they were sold out of the sst ammo at the time(they still don't have any!), and I was dying to try the rifle out. So I zeroed it at 100 yards. It shot FANTASTIC with this ammo. 3 inch group at 600 yds. So I bought a bunch more of it. So I started doing some research online. I read on a private page(I forgot to screen shot it, and now I can't find it again) that the 123 ELD-M is the same exact bullet construction as the 123 SST including the interlocking ring it just has the heat shield tip. The guy said that this is the only ELD-M like this. He said that Hornady couldn't get the bullets to stabilize so they just changed the tip on the sst. Has anyone here heard anything like this? Has anyone shot anything with this bullet?
txhoghunter73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2017, 08:59 PM   #2
KC Huntin
Ten Point
 
KC Huntin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Antonio
Default

No.... interesting i have same upper (18") and both loads eld-m and sst in 123 gr.

What are the specs on your upper?


Plenty of it online

http://ammoseek.com/ammo/6.5mm-grendel/-rifle-123grains


I like dealing with Outdoorlimited.com

Last edited by KC Huntin; 07-09-2017 at 09:02 PM.
KC Huntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2017, 09:10 PM   #3
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor
 
Cajun Blake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SW Louisiana
Hunt In: public & pvt land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhoghunter73 View Post
So I started doing some research online. I read on a private page (I forgot to screen shot it, and now I can't find it again) that the 123 ELD-M is the same exact bullet construction as the 123 SST including the interlocking ring it just has the heat shield tip. The guy said that this is the only ELD-M like this. He said that Hornady couldn't get the bullets to stabilize so they just changed the tip on the sst. Has anyone here heard anything like this? Has anyone shot anything with this bullet?
Why not call Hornady and ask to speak with their head ballistician ? I've called dozens of times and have always recv'd answers to many of my questions.

Lonnie Hummel was my "go to" contact ; however he retired several yrs ago. I'm sure someone will be able to help you with bullet construction and load data
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2017, 09:20 PM   #4
lbbf
Ten Point
 
lbbf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lake Jackson
Default

I don't think the sst has the "heat shield tip" I did read that Hornady was testing and couldn't figure out why there data was showing some strange results. They determined that the tip was melting.
lbbf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2017, 08:39 AM   #5
rferg84
Ten Point
 
rferg84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sweetwater TX
Hunt In: Nolan and Fisher Counties
Default

I just bought the same hornady, going to try it out on some hogs hopefully in the next couple weeks.

I'll let you know how it goes.
rferg84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2017, 09:43 AM   #6
txhoghunter73
Ten Point
 
txhoghunter73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Henly, TX.
Hunt In: Henly TX, Kerrville TX, and Blanco TX.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rferg84 View Post
I just bought the same hornady, going to try it out on some hogs hopefully in the next couple weeks.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Please do
txhoghunter73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2017, 12:45 AM   #7
WTJim
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Default

That Hornady black will be just fine for killing. I love my 6.5G.
WTJim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2017, 01:50 AM   #8
dustinhanna
Eight Point
 
dustinhanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Val Verde, London
Default

Just got my first 6.5 on Sunday. Can't wait to shoot it.
Attached Images
 
dustinhanna is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2017, 05:30 PM   #9
kumathebear
Pope & Young
 
kumathebear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: DFW area
Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!
Default

LOVE the Grendel...one of our best shooters in the AR platform!!
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2017, 07:47 PM   #10
tpepper70
Ten Point
 
tpepper70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central Texas
Hunt In: Caldwell co, Frio co
Default

Go to www.65grendel.com
There's a guy there that has tested the H black ammo on hogs. Some good, some not so good. The ELD-M bullet doesn't have the interlock ring like the SST. It was/is basically an Amax bullet with a different tip. A LOT of people had good luck killing game with the Amax bullet, so, the H black with the ELD-M bullet will probably work, but shot placement, as always, is key.
tpepper70 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2017, 08:15 PM   #11
Outbreaker
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston
Default

After all the bullets I have tried I have settled on the 120 NBT.

As luck would have it.......it flies right with the 120gr SMK.......same exact load.......same exact POI......same accuracy.
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2017, 11:09 PM   #12
Mike D
Pope & Young
 
Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default 6.5 Grendel Hunting Bullet Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpepper70 View Post
Go to www.65grendel.com
There's a guy there that has tested the H black ammo on hogs. Some good, some not so good. The ELD-M bullet doesn't have the interlock ring like the SST. It was/is basically an Amax bullet with a different tip. A LOT of people had good luck killing game with the Amax bullet, so, the H black with the ELD-M bullet will probably work, but shot placement, as always, is key.


And that is why people should leave the match bullets for paper and steel. They may work on game some of the time, maybe even most of the time. But I'm not willing to risk it when there are proven reliable hunting bullets available.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2017, 05:50 AM   #13
KC Huntin
Ten Point
 
KC Huntin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Antonio
Default

I had also read/researched and believed the ELD-M was a replacment for the AMAX

I shoot some ELD-X in my .308. I believe this has the ring and woudl be closet to the SST although the ELD-X would have the heat shield tip.
KC Huntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2017, 05:55 AM   #14
tpepper70
Ten Point
 
tpepper70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central Texas
Hunt In: Caldwell co, Frio co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
And that is why people should leave the match bullets for paper and steel. They may work on game some of the time, maybe even most of the time. But I'm not willing to risk it when there are proven reliable hunting bullets available.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Agreed.
tpepper70 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2017, 05:32 PM   #15
KC Huntin
Ten Point
 
KC Huntin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Antonio
Default

OP have you tried the Federal Fusion MSR


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KC Huntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2017, 05:36 PM   #16
tpepper70
Ten Point
 
tpepper70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central Texas
Hunt In: Caldwell co, Frio co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbreaker View Post
After all the bullets I have tried I have settled on the 120 NBT.

As luck would have it.......it flies right with the 120gr SMK.......same exact load.......same exact POI......same accuracy.
The same thing happened to me with these 2 bullets. Makes life so easy.
tpepper70 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2017, 01:42 PM   #17
txhoghunter73
Ten Point
 
txhoghunter73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Henly, TX.
Hunt In: Henly TX, Kerrville TX, and Blanco TX.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Huntin View Post
OP have you tried the Federal Fusion MSR


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No. It has a terrible BC
txhoghunter73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2017, 11:05 AM   #18
Ron
Pope & Young
 
Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kings Creek Golf Club, Kemp TX
Hunt In: USA, Concho County and S.E.Colorado
Default

I load my own with Lupua cases, NBT. Very accurate and kill game on contact.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2017, 11:45 AM   #19
TxAg
Pope & Young
 
TxAg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default

Saw this on midwayís site.


Name:  9295B3A4-A01B-44CE-BE1D-8144A492A4C0.jpg
Views: 2143
Size:  61.7 KB
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2017, 12:02 PM   #20
switchbackxt
Eight Point
 
switchbackxt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Caney, Tx
Default

The 6.5 SST and the ELD-M ARE NOT THE SAME BULLET. The ELD-M is a match bullet NOT A HUNTING BULLET. I called Hornady and verified.

The 6.5 SST ammo is readily available online and actually cheaper than buying at Academy.
switchbackxt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2017, 08:48 PM   #21
kmon
Eight Point
 
kmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Hunt In: Texas and Mississippi mostly
Default

Quite a few bullets will work for the Grendel for hunting but the most used and tested is the Hornasy 123gr SST, some other good bullets from Alexander Arms are very good. If you reload there are lots of other choices, this year I will be using 129gr Long Range Accubonds loaded to right at 2500fps.

For some good information on the Grendel bullet selection for hunting get the second volume of the Grendel handbook form http://www.arbuildbox.com the guys that wrote it put a lot of effort into those books.


I got a good deal on a bunch of 129 Nosler Long Range Accubonds that are loaded up for this year to try.
kmon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 08:47 PM   #22
KC Huntin
Ten Point
 
KC Huntin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Antonio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmon View Post
Quite a few bullets will work for the Grendel for hunting but the most used and tested is the Hornasy 123gr SST, some other good bullets from Alexander Arms are very good. If you reload there are lots of other choices, this year I will be using 129gr Long Range Accubonds loaded to right at 2500fps.

For some good information on the Grendel bullet selection for hunting get the second volume of the Grendel handbook form http://www.arbuildbox.com the guys that wrote it put a lot of effort into those books.


I got a good deal on a bunch of 129 Nosler Long Range Accubonds that are loaded up for this year to try.
How are these LRABs working for you? My grendel doesnt like the SST very well (loves the ELDM though) and im looking for another hunting bullet
KC Huntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 10:18 PM   #23
kmon
Eight Point
 
kmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Hunt In: Texas and Mississippi mostly
Default

they shoot very good, just have to get something legal to cooperate to test out on game. As to the myth about bonded bullets not opening at Grendel velocities in another thread I posted a pic from another location showing a grey fox shot with one. Big exit hole on a small critter. On hogs one guy that shoots a lot of hogs said almost all exited and there were large permanent wound channels. That bullet you have to be careful seating and use a VLD seating stem or you might crumple it, the front jacket is that thin with real thick back on the shank to stop expansion.

Here is the grey fox pic that was posted on another forum




Nosler reloading data lists the accurate load for the bullet at I was told 30.6gr CFE223 which is what I had settled on before reading they even had data published
kmon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 10:26 PM   #24
pure lefty
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Huntsville, Texas
Hunt In: Leon County and wherever
Default

Attached Images
*What kind of buttstock is that, good looking rifle!
pure lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 10:39 PM   #25
kmon
Eight Point
 
kmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Hunt In: Texas and Mississippi mostly
Default

Couple hog videos from Brian using the 6.5 Grendel on hogs/pigs. Subscribe to Brian's channel for lots of videos of hogs being taken out with the Grendel. He switched to it a few years ago from the 308, as he says yes you can tell the difference when doing a necropsy but there is still plenty of damage to kill hogs dead from the Grendel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnFKYxgbCMA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=RoLuYE1n4pU

The write up he did on the boar, the bullet went through heart, at least one lung and into the guts. The hog did squeal which indicates some air in the lungs but on opening the chest cavity most of the lungs were mush or pieces. I think the bullet went through the heart and one lung with secondary projectiles hitting the second lung and compression helped tear that lung apart when it squealed the one time, it having been damaged by secondary projectiles.

How many heart shot boars that weigh 225 drop on the spot with any rifle. let alone the little GRR

Last edited by kmon; 11-13-2017 at 10:46 PM.
kmon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 12:07 AM   #26
txhoghunter73
Ten Point
 
txhoghunter73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Henly, TX.
Hunt In: Henly TX, Kerrville TX, and Blanco TX.
Default

Just wanted to update this thread for those of you shooting tbe eld-m like myself. I shot a doe tonight at 85 yards with my 6.5 Grendel 123 ELD-M(Hornady black). Shot at a hard quartering angle. Probably 80ish degrees. I lined my shot up where the bullet would enter at the last rib back in front of the hind quarter and exit just in front of the shoulder on the far side. Bullet entered and split into 2 pieces. One peice stopped after travlong 8 inches. The other larger piece kept going and continued to break apart all the way through the guts, liver, heart and lungs, eventually stopping at the hide in between the hide and the scapula. I will post some pictures tomorrow. Not sure how great they will be, but there will be proof that this bullet is a good hunting bullet. The deer ran about 35-40 yards leaving absolutely no blood trail (imo this is typical when there is no exit wound) good thing I have a great tracking dog. She took us right to it. I will continue to hunt with the 123 eld-m. I have read lots of story's on Grendel forums with SSTs not exiting. This bullet travelled roughly 24 inches even after fragmentation.
txhoghunter73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 12:09 AM   #27
txhoghunter73
Ten Point
 
txhoghunter73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Henly, TX.
Hunt In: Henly TX, Kerrville TX, and Blanco TX.
Default

Also this doe weighed in at 110 lbs. That's the biggest doe recorded weight on our ranch.
txhoghunter73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 06:37 PM   #28
Mike D
Pope & Young
 
Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhoghunter73 View Post
Just wanted to update this thread for those of you shooting tbe eld-m like myself. I shot a doe tonight at 85 yards with my 6.5 Grendel 123 ELD-M(Hornady black). Shot at a hard quartering angle. Probably 80ish degrees. I lined my shot up where the bullet would enter at the last rib back in front of the hind quarter and exit just in front of the shoulder on the far side. Bullet entered and split into 2 pieces. One peice stopped after travlong 8 inches. The other larger piece kept going and continued to break apart all the way through the guts, liver, heart and lungs, eventually stopping at the hide in between the hide and the scapula. I will post some pictures tomorrow. Not sure how great they will be, but there will be proof that this bullet is a good hunting bullet. The deer ran about 35-40 yards leaving absolutely no blood trail (imo this is typical when there is no exit wound) good thing I have a great tracking dog. She took us right to it. I will continue to hunt with the 123 eld-m. I have read lots of story's on Grendel forums with SSTs not exiting. This bullet travelled roughly 24 inches even after fragmentation.


Hmmmmm well you just changed my mind against using the ELDM. I consider that performance a failure. I thought maybe it would be ok at the lower velocities of the Grendel but it looks like thatís not the case.

Iíll probably go back to my 100 grain Barnes TTSX or maybe even give the 120 grain ballistic tip a try.

Although my gun really seems to like the Berger 135 grain classic hunter bullets.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 06:53 PM   #29
kmon
Eight Point
 
kmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Hunt In: Texas and Mississippi mostly
Default

Tests on hogs the Berger 130gr VLD hunter usually produced an exit. The 129gr accubond LR is on rib shots getting quarter to half dollar entrance and exits on mature whitetail bucks with mush in between. Lots of quick expansion on entry then the shank and rest of bullet continues to plow through. Haven't heard of any of them recovered yet. The good old SST round is the one most still compare bullets to in the Grendel, if you always want an exit the 125gr partition, one of the mono-metal bullets or accubonds either flavor do well. The 120gr ballistic tips have their following as well since Nosler beefed up the shank section of that bullet.
kmon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 06:57 PM   #30
Mike D
Pope & Young
 
Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmon View Post
Tests on hogs the Berger 130gr VLD hunter usually produced an exit. The 129gr accubond LR is on rib shots getting quarter to half dollar entrance and exits on mature whitetail bucks with mush in between. Lots of quick expansion on entry then the shank and rest of bullet continues to plow through. Haven't heard of any of them recovered yet. The good old SST round is the one most still compare bullets to in the Grendel, if you always want an exit the 125gr partition, one of the mono-metal bullets or accubonds either flavor do well. The 120gr ballistic tips have their following as well since Nosler beefed up the shank section of that bullet.


I REALLY want the ABLR to work in my Grendel. I think it would just about be the perfect design with the lower velocity expansion threshold. So far Iím still chasing accuracy with them in mine; at least what I consider acceptable accuracy.

I had forgotten about the good old 125 grain Partition. If Nosler would PLEASE come out with a tipped version, I think that would be about as good as it could get.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 07:44 PM   #31
kmon
Eight Point
 
kmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Hunt In: Texas and Mississippi mostly
Default

Forgot an offering from Federal that is showing good results as well, the 120gr fusion load.

Mike what loads are you trying with the LRABs? I am getting sub MOA and in the bolt action 1/3 to 5/8 groups @100 yards with them and (usual disclaimer use this data with normal precautions Safe in my gun but work up to it in yours) 30.6gr CFE 223, CCI 450, Lapua brass COAL 2.27. That is a bit under what I consider max and Nosler data shows it to be the most accurate load with that bullet. Several of us Grendel shooters agree it shoots well in our guns. With the BC of that bullet it just doesn't like to slow down very fast.
kmon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2017, 08:28 PM   #32
Mike D
Pope & Young
 
Mike D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmon View Post
Forgot an offering from Federal that is showing good results as well, the 120gr fusion load.

Mike what loads are you trying with the LRABs? I am getting sub MOA and in the bolt action 1/3 to 5/8 groups @100 yards with them and (usual disclaimer use this data with normal precautions Safe in my gun but work up to it in yours) 30.6gr CFE 223, CCI 450, Lapua brass COAL 2.27. That is a bit under what I consider max and Nosler data shows it to be the most accurate load with that bullet. Several of us Grendel shooters agree it shoots well in our guns. With the BC of that bullet it just doesn't like to slow down very fast.


My Grendel doesnít like the Fusions either. Mine is an AR with a 20Ē Bartlein 5R 8 twist barrel. Best I could get out of the Fusion was about 1.5 which is unacceptable to me in a factory gun much less one with a high end barrel.

On the ABLR, Iíve been trying CFE223 and Win 748 so far. Ladder testing the CFE from 30 to 31 grains in .2 increments. Lapua brass, Fed GM205MAR primers, 2.280 COAL (mag limited). Been seeing groups from .8 to 1.25. I know this gun will shoot better than that. Iím looking for that .5 or smaller group.

One thing Iíve seen is inconsistent velocities with CFE. Hereís a strip from my chronograph. Iím not happy at all with those ES & SD numbers.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 08:38 AM   #33
KC Huntin
Ten Point
 
KC Huntin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Antonio
Default

^^ Any updates from you guys on the LRAB?^^

Groups? Kills?
KC Huntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2018, 12:32 PM   #34
txhoghunter73
Ten Point
 
txhoghunter73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Henly, TX.
Hunt In: Henly TX, Kerrville TX, and Blanco TX.
Default

I have killed a ton of animals this year with the eld-m
txhoghunter73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 10:45 AM   #35
duckmanep
Ten Point
 
duckmanep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northeast TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhoghunter73 View Post
I have killed a ton of animals this year with the eld-m
Any bad experiences?
duckmanep is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 10:50 AM   #36
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point
 
Balcones_Walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Wherever I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhoghunter73 View Post
I have killed a ton of animals this year with the eld-m
The gap is that there are two schools of thought on these threads, as illustrated above.

"Bullet entered and split into 2 pieces. One peice stopped after travlong 8 inches. The other larger piece kept going and continued to break apart all the way through the guts, liver, heart and lungs, eventually stopping at the hide in between the hide and the scapula."

One school believes this is a great success, the other believes this is catastrophic failure of a bullet.
Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 10:53 AM   #37
SAC
Ten Point
 
SAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Weimar,TX
Hunt In: Lavaca, Fayette & Colorado Co.
Default

I'm switching from Blacks to Fusion. Waiting for the Fusion to arrive. Hopefully better results. Inconsistent groups and unrecovered animals.
SAC is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #38
Walding1989
Ten Point
 
Walding1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Texas
Hunt In: Stonewall county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhoghunter73 View Post
I have killed a ton of animals this year with the eld-m
same here
Walding1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 12:32 PM   #39
KC Huntin
Ten Point
 
KC Huntin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Antonio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanep View Post
Any bad experiences?
I have had a few hogs get away with the ELD-M

Im also looking at going with the Fusion more especially for Hogs. My experiences w the ELDM and deer have been neck shots on does. No issue there. We did shoot one doe in the shoulder and seemed to frag and get the heart.

Last edited by KC Huntin; 02-19-2018 at 12:34 PM.
KC Huntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 01:02 PM   #40
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor
 
Cajun Blake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SW Louisiana
Hunt In: public & pvt land
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Hereís a strip from my chronograph. Iím not happy at all with those ES & SD numbers.
someone's running an Oehler 35P

25 yrs and mine still works like a champ ... the dual Proof Channels are the real deal (2 velocities are taken during each 1 shot)
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #41
cbd10pt
Ten Point
 
cbd10pt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: League city/ Marbella
Hunt In: looking for new places
Default

Killed 3 deer with black 123s this year all died quick 2 broadside one hard quartering to all exited all good sized holes.
My gun likes them I'll keep using them
cbd10pt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2018, 01:38 PM   #42
etxccampbell
Four Point
 
etxccampbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Lufkin tx
Hunt In: texas
Default

Alot of guys around here have switched to the Federal American Eagle 90gr TNT round. I shoot it in my 6.8 and harvested two deer this year, both shot behind shoulder at appox 110 - 125 yards. On both deer the bullet did exit and deer ran 15 - 25 yards.
etxccampbell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 02:43 PM   #43
Kenner97
Ten Point
 
Kenner97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Hunt In: Atascosa, Wilson, Karnes County
Default

Has anyone had problems with the federal fusion ammo jamming. It actually shot pretty decent groups but it was getting caught in the bolt when trying to eject and jammed everytime.

I bought some federal gold 130gr hybrids and it did the same thing. It cycles Hornady perfectly so do not know exactly what the problem is.

Last edited by Kenner97; 02-20-2018 at 02:43 PM. Reason: add
Kenner97 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 03:10 PM   #44
Outbreaker
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenner97 View Post
Has anyone had problems with the federal fusion ammo jamming. It actually shot pretty decent groups but it was getting caught in the bolt when trying to eject and jammed everytime.

I bought some federal gold 130gr hybrids and it did the same thing. It cycles Hornady perfectly so do not know exactly what the problem is.
Sounds like you may need to adjust the gasblock.
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 03:22 PM   #45
Kenner97
Ten Point
 
Kenner97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Hunt In: Atascosa, Wilson, Karnes County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbreaker View Post
Sounds like you may need to adjust the gasblock.
Would that cause it stick in the extractor? why only federal ammo?
Kenner97 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 03:29 PM   #46
Outbreaker
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenner97 View Post
Would that cause it stick in the extractor? why only federal ammo?
Different gas volumes from different powders that will affect the bolt velocity.

Anytime there is either an extraction failure, fail to cock hammer or lockback issue this is where I start.

Fail to feed I look at the magazine first then the gas block.
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #47
Outbreaker
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenner97 View Post
Would that cause it stick in the extractor? why only federal ammo?
Couple other questions.

1. How old is the upper?
2. Are you shooting it wet?
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #48
Kenner97
Ten Point
 
Kenner97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Hunt In: Atascosa, Wilson, Karnes County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbreaker View Post
Couple other questions.

1. How old is the upper?
2. Are you shooting it wet?
Upper is brand new? Only has about 120 rounds through it so far.

What do you mean "wet"? Sorry, i'm new to the gas guns.

Last edited by Kenner97; 02-20-2018 at 03:39 PM. Reason: add
Kenner97 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 03:55 PM   #49
Outbreaker
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenner97 View Post
Upper is brand new? Only has about 120 rounds through it so far.

What do you mean "wet"? Sorry, i'm new to the gas guns.
New guns take a couple hundred rounds to break in. Shoot 50 or so rounds then clean it, then shoot again.

Wet means shoot with lots of oil in the BCG. This is needed even more when the gun is new.

Sometimes just shooting a gun will fix this issue. I would not make any drastic changes until the round count gets closer to 200.
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-20-2018, 05:16 PM   #50
Kenner97
Ten Point
 
Kenner97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Hunt In: Atascosa, Wilson, Karnes County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbreaker View Post
New guns take a couple hundred rounds to break in. Shoot 50 or so rounds then clean it, then shoot again.

Wet means shoot with lots of oil in the BCG. This is needed even more when the gun is new.

Sometimes just shooting a gun will fix this issue. I would not make any drastic changes until the round count gets closer to 200.
Thanks for all the info.
Iíll try running it wet.

Do you think the accuracy will get better after 200 rounds or so.
It shoots the hornady SSTís decent at a little over a 1Ē. It puts 3 or so really good then have a flier or 2. It might be the first round or the last but messes the group up.
Kenner97 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com