Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 11-09-2017, 10:11 PM   #51
TexMax
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
You lost me at Creedmoor AND Vortex......lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That was the point

****s obnoxious lol. Both fairly strong products getting run into the ground by fan boys. Though I will say the Creed probably hads more credibility.

Last edited by TexMax; 11-09-2017 at 10:15 PM..
TexMax is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 10:26 PM   #52
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMax View Post
That was the point

****s obnoxious lol. Both fairly strong products getting run into the ground by fan boys. Though I will say the Creed probably hads more credibility.

No fanboy of any optic per se. I have given Vortex MANY opportunities and they have failed me every single time.

Meh, the Creed offers nothing over the .260.

Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 10:36 PM   #53
TexMax
Pope & Young

Lol I guess my sarcasm isn't coming across that well. I still own a pst 1-4 after several vortex products bought and sold. They perform about at their price point. Not above like so many bill them. And the Creed is much the same. It's going to start to catch the same back lash from over zealous owners
TexMax is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 10:42 PM   #54
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Sales don't mean squat in the deer blind, or on the range. The .260 will out perform the CM, and the .264 Mag is there if you want to hit high gear. The CM is obviously a super capable round, but it's a solution to a problem that didn't exist.

I'm all for whatever anyone wants to shoot, just don't really see why everyone thinks this CM is somehow revolutionary.....carry on, I do enjoy looking at all of your rigs.
They’re essentially the same if the creed doesn’t have the edge with both loaded to max with 140s

There was a problem though and that was easy to get ammo options. Creed has some nice hunting and match options available over the counter just about all over the place.

Last edited by bphillips; 11-09-2017 at 11:05 PM..
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 10:48 PM   #55
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMax View Post
Lol I guess my sarcasm isn't coming across that well. I still own a pst 1-4 after several vortex products bought and sold. They perform about at their price point. Not above like so many bill them. And the Creed is much the same. It's going to start to catch the same back lash from over zealous owners

Lol, guess my meter is broken tonight.

Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2017, 02:06 AM   #56
sbushee
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hardeman county

Love my 6.5 CM, deer hate it. Nuff said
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2017, 08:38 AM   #57
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
They’re essentially the same if the creed doesn’t have the edge with both loaded to max with 140s

There was a problem though and that was easy to get ammo options. Creed has some nice hunting and match options available over the counter just about all over the place.
The problem wasn't easy to get ammo, the problem was no one knew how great the .260 and .264 were until some nerd made up the term "Ballistic Coefficient"..... Then another nerd came up with the CM and everyone jumped on board, NOW there are a bunch of different ammo options because of demand. If those two nerds had gotten together and said "hell the solution to our problem is right here in the .260" then everyone would be making the same ammo options for it.

I'm not talking down the CM, I just find it odd.....oh and I have a vortex scope I love.

I love my .264 Mag, deer/hogs/nilgai/auodad hate it since well before I was born....
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2017, 09:05 AM   #58
KC Huntin
Ten Point

Quote:
Just got my Grendel upper today.

Let us know how you like it? I have an 18Ē from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KC Huntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2017, 09:21 AM   #59
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.

Quote:
The problem wasn't easy to get ammo, the problem was no one knew how great the .260 and .264 were until some nerd made up the term "Ballistic Coefficient"..... Then another nerd came up with the CM and everyone jumped on board, NOW there are a bunch of different ammo options because of demand. If those two nerds had gotten together and said "hell the solution to our problem is right here in the .260" then everyone would be making the same ammo options for it.

I'm not talking down the CM, I just find it odd.....oh and I have a vortex scope I love.

I love my .264 Mag, deer/hogs/nilgai/auodad hate it since well before I was born....
Well Iím glad they did it haha. Now at least one has good options easy to find. Great round for the kids and wife for low recoil and plenty of knockdown. APR tried to talk me into a 264wm but ammo hard to run so just went with SAUM. The 6.5 mags are good for all we have in the US IMO
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2017, 09:36 AM   #60
scott.str
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens county

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinR View Post
eewww That's a Hells Canyon isn't it??? Drool!!!
Hells Canyon long range. So far I couldn't be happier. Kept the weight down with a 1" scope and only 10x.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
scott.str is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2017, 01:05 AM   #61
PBFrijoles
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX & LA

. The Grendel, I built is a tack driver and itís my go to black gun. Iím looking into the .264 MAG but Iím not a caliber hater at all. I think they all have a place and use. . The Grenny has DRT a few critters!!

PBFrijoles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2017, 01:13 AM   #62
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
I am sick as hell of hearing about the 6.5 Creedmore....

.260 and .264 mag have been around forever...this is really nothing new.

No kidding lol

Now let's see that mile shot!!
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2017, 01:17 AM   #63
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&C View Post
The 260 hasn't been around that long and it's another example of remington being a terrible marketing company. The creed targeted the bench rest guys, set records, and worked with Ruger/Savage to offer bench rest accuracy in cheap rifles with factory ammo. It left the 260 in the dust! It's not the 1st time (probably not the last) they've been forward thinking but failed to capitalize on it!
I have yet to see a creedmoor throw down benchrest accuracy or even close in a factory gun and VERY few customs. You realize most benchrest groups are in the .1s and zeros right?
Old 11-11-2017, 01:21 AM   #64
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&C View Post
If I would have bought my 6.5 Creed 1st, I wouldn't own a 6.5x284. My 6.5x284 is only 90 fps faster (120gr bullets), with 10gr more powder, has significantly more recoil and the accuracy is about the same between my 2 rifles. I'm sure the 284 will widen the gap with heavier bullets but the recoil will increase as well.
That hilarious. My 6.5-284 was running a 140 grain Berger at 3050. I'd like to see a creedmoor get even close to that lol. Recoil is nothing.

I'll buy or build a CM eventually. Probably a 6CM for my girls. Easy to find ammo and good ammo at that. This caliber catches heck because folks claim it is something that it is not. My 7 mag will absolutely run circles around it. A cheetah will run circles around my 7. Etc. Just call it what it is and it's all good lol. It's a good caliber. Good options. But it's not some game changer. It's excellent marketing in a time where lots of folks like long range. There's far better. And there's far worse. I'd sure like to have a gas gun like the OPs though Chambers's in it. Very nice group at 430. Good shooting. Now fix that wind call
Old 11-11-2017, 08:26 AM   #65
scott.str
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens county

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
That hilarious. My 6.5-284 was running a 140 grain Berger at 3050. I'd like to see a creedmoor get even close to that lol. Recoil is nothing.

I'll buy or build a CM eventually. Probably a 6CM for my girls. Easy to find ammo and good ammo at that. This caliber catches heck because folks claim it is something that it is not. My 7 mag will absolutely run circles around it. A cheetah will run circles around my 7. Etc. Just call it what it is and it's all good lol. It's a good caliber. Good options. But it's not some game changer. It's excellent marketing in a time where lots of folks like long range. There's far better. And there's far worse. I'd sure like to have a gas gun like the OPs though Chambers's in it. Very nice group at 430. Good shooting. Now fix that wind call

I think like you said its great for what it does. Easy to find ammo .5" groups from academy bought ammo as 260 is hard to find and Remington wouldnt back a round if they sold a billion of them. It is a great round for someone getting into accuracy shooting and long range and also the handloader as everything is easy to find. Also can do everything from varmints to upwards of elk with the right bullet choice and range.

Its another in between round with great ballistics but i think its here to stay and get used a ton as the 6.5x55 has been used over seas forever with great luck and we are just catching up.
scott.str is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2017, 02:29 PM   #66
6.5BR
Nubbin' Buck

Laughing, I built a 6.5-308 the year before Remington SAAMI the 6.5-308 A-Square.

Had many 260s, Swedes, a Creed, and a 47 Lapua. All shot well, had BUGHOLE 260s, but to discount the accuracy and affordable accurate ammo for those not handloading or choosing to run a few boxes of factory ammo, the Creed is the one to beat. Much Swede ammo is downloaded, and much 260 ammo is junk and higher priced. 47 ammo is a FANTASTIC round but very expensive. I run a 47 now, and plan to get another CM.

For those who handload, and have kids that your guns will pass on to someday, if they do not handload, they will be glad if your guns are in chamberings that ammo is easy and cheap to find, accurate and deadly. Just my .02

Good hunting, be safe, and Happy Thanksgiving to all.
6.5BR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top