protein feed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

protein feed?

i work on a big game ranch in brownwood texas called the cutbirth ranch, and we have started to get our buck to do ratio just right and weve brought in some different genetics, but i was just wondering if anyone has a great luck with a certain brand of protein pellets for their deer, we use a feed from Bryant feed Co. but havent got the results we really want and was just wondering if anyone has a feed that really puts out results. thanks yall

I have tried different feeds over the years and have settled on Record Rack. I won't use anything else. My ranch is in LaSalle county and has good vegetation. I use 16% year round.

Comment

Our place used Antler max for 7 years and never saw a big difference...We have started Lyssy and Eckels the first of February so we will see.....also I think to many of us see adding protein as a fix to our lack of big buck problems...to me protein is the advantage to when the drought hits or the winter is extra bad, cold weather lingers longer not allowing forbs and weeds to start growing....the bad times of the year, it's gives the deer a boost on the food they need during bad times....
      Last edited by Mike Murphey; 02-25-2010, 11:31 AM.

Comment

I'll second the results with Record Rack.

How many protein feeders do you have on how many acres? Are they free-choice? Are they huntable or are they in sanctuary areas?

When do you feed? Year round or certain months?

Comment

We feed Lyssey and eckels wheeler 20/12 with good results

Comment

I've used AntlerMax, Record Rack, Los Cazadores, Gorman Milling Red Chain, Lyssey and Eckels

I don't like the antlermax (broken tines, lower fawn crops etc...) Record Rack is really consistent as the Los Cazadores but the LC & L&E might be hard for you to find around Brownwood. I think the Gorman Mills Red Chain deer feed is just as good and it's a little cheaper. I quit buying the Red Chain because they wouldn't deliver in bulk and another deer feed company really wanted our business so they low balled Gorman Mills for the first year.

I rarely had any broken tines and our fawn crop was really high when feeding Record Rack, Los Cazadores or Lyssey and Eckels feeds

Comment

record rack 16% here, seems to do pretty well if I can keep the coons and hogs from getting most of it!

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                I'll second the results with Record Rack.

How many protein feeders do you have on how many acres? Are they free-choice? Are they huntable or are they in sanctuary areas?

When do you feed? Year round or certain months?

One free choice protein feeder per 250 acres. I may add a couple more this year since I'm not feeding cottonseed. Might drop down to 1 per 200 acres or less. They are not huntalbe from any stands. I feed ten months out of the year. I quit in November and December. Some of the bucks would stay nocturnal if I kept feeding.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                  One free choice protein feeder per 250 acres. I may add a couple more this year since I'm not feeding cottonseed. Might drop down to 1 per 200 acres or less. They are not huntalbe from any stands. I feed ten months out of the year. I quit in November and December. Some of the bucks would stay nocturnal if I kept feeding.

You're set up.....now all you need to do is wait. It usually takes a few years for the results to be noticeable.

Comment

Martindale Feed Mill- dont know if its "better" but can promise it will be consistent

Comment

Antler King. Ratio is greater than 1 per 100 acres. They are all being hit hard, especially in the last 2 months. Starting our 4th year of heavy protein feeding so hope to start seeing great results from our younger deer. All are hunted or huntable.

Comment

We use L&E. Had to start with 50% corn so they would eat it.....

Comment

Surefed for two years and the deer really did well with it, just not real convenient for us to get. Started with trophy maker in January and I hope we have the same results with it. We can buy in bulk and use their feed trailer to fill feeders.

Surefed should be easy to find since it is made in Brady.

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                            You're set up.....now all you need to do is wait. It usually takes a few years for the results to be noticeable.
                            This will be the sixth year of supplemental feeding on my ranch. The results are starting to show. Here is a 3.5 year old.

And a 5.5 year old.

And a 6.5 year old

Comment

Since your on a ranch and may have the facilities I would try to get a local feed mill to mix you up a good textured feed. These feeds are great especially during the droughty summer months because they contain a higher percentage of other nutrients and minerals than pure pelleted feed. You also have the ability to add probiotics and other health minerals to the feed mix.

PM me if you need any more info.

Comment

Working...
                              X