My first food plot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first food plot!

I have never done this... so it was a learning experience... I hunt in Columbus at my best friends ranch. He allowed me to fence off some area to plant a food plot to draw in doves. He has a perfectly good tractor ..All I would need would be to buy a plow, disk, spreader etc.

BUT NO ... I have to go out and buy my own tractor, schreeder, disk, rake, spreader, chain harrrow, plow, sod buster, spayer.... Just jumped right in there....

One of the best things I have ever done... I get on it now just to ride around...

Mahrindra 2816 4 wd drive with FEL..... That is Susan on the tractor.... my sweetheart.. She also bow hunts..

This is the ground when I started.... HARD rough CLAY It had been 15 years a least since the ground was worked... it would rattle your teeth just drive across unless you crawled...

I went over it twice with that disk... added weight ... no go..

had to get a sod buster.

the below took a lot of work....

this is the final product.

Planted the first time with the Spring dove mix from Turner seed...

I did not get the seed spread correctly my first time using a spreader... and one area was very thick ... I over planted with sunflower and millette... Hopefully that rain in the last week will allow it to grow..

I will posted pictures my plot when I get out there next...
    Last edited by Stan R; 06-08-2010, 04:32 PM.

Awesome! Congrats to ya.. Looking forward to seeing it!

Comment

Good job on the food plot. Now the fun times start which is waiting for rain, and praying that everything grows like you expected it.

Comment

awesome, looks good!!!! I remember it took forever to break my ground up in weimar with a disc. Where at in columbus?

Comment

A few miles from the airport on s 71.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
            Good job on the food plot. Now the fun times start which is waiting for rain, and praying that everything grows like you expected it.
            We got about 2 inches last week and about 1 inch yesterday.... It will be about weeks until i can get out there...

Comment

Stopped by the ranch on the way to Waco to shot this weekend.
              Looks pretty good

Comment

Hey now!!! Looking great!!! Congrats!!!

Comment

Amazing what a litte rain will do...

It is so thick you cannot see the ground.

Comment

that is awesome, should see more deer also bc of it

Comment

Nice!!! Bet that will be a great spot to kill some Dove!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hogdude1234 View Post
                        Nice!!! Bet that will be a great spot to kill some Dove!!!

That is what we are hoping for.

Comment

It looks awesome, good work

Comment

Now that's a nice looking plot. It's always been very rewarding to me to be able see the fruits of my labor. Good on ya'.

br

Comment

updated pictures With all the rain our plot is doing wonderful. about 4 ft tall

I could not resist and cut around the fence line and 1 down the middle

I am going out next weekend and cut a few more rows.... Then about two weeks prior to dove season opening in the south cut the rows wider..

We am pretty happy with our plot since it was hard packed clay when we started...

the other part of we

Comment

Working...
                              X