• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chew View Post
    You are a tough son of a gun if you're toting in your own firewood. LOL

Always prepared!

Comment

Well after getting in my maven 12x56 they were just to big for what I was hoping to use them for. Plan was to sell them and grab some of the 11x45 B2s. Guy offered me the exact binos I was wanting for trade plus some cash so now I have the 11x45 headed my way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
        Well after getting in my maven 12x56 they were just to big for what I was hoping to use them for. Plan was to sell them and grab some of the 11x45 B2s. Guy offered me the exact binos I was wanting for trade plus some cash so now I have the 11x45 headed my way

love mine, get the Kramer tripod adapter. Works great

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
          love mine, get the Kramer tripod adapter. Works great

I have the 9x45 now. Basically I’ll run the 9x45 for elk and whitetail and run the 11x45 for mule deer and other hunts where I am glassing a lot

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
            I have the 9x45 now. Basically I’ll run the 9x45 for elk and whitetail and run the 11x45 for mule deer and other hunts where I am glassing a lot

I don’t usually bring bino’s elk hunting, unless it early season. Now for whitetails, mulies and pronghorns I pretty much live by my 11x 45. Ordering the 15x probably later this year also

I bought my daughter a pair of the c1’s and I was highly impressed with the price/performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Yep. I'm willing to risk it!

Lol, that's the price you pay to not hunt by other people! I am in the same boat, though our hike is much shorter, and into wilderness. The wilderness weeds out the lazy people!

Good luck this fall.

Comment

Going back a bit to water filtration and containers...

I took two 850ml Gatorades and a 1L Smartwater from the trailhead. I find the full GR's too sweet, so after drinking half, I started diluting from the SW bottle. After the SW was empty, I used it as "dirty" bottle and filtered back into the GR with Sawyer mini attached directly to the mouth of the SW. I think this is a better option for me than the Nalgene, even though I just bought a cool new CapCap for my Nalgene! The SW bottle works well for "dirty" water and the GR bottles have big enough opening for powdered mixes and NUUN tabs. A GR bottle fits well in the bottle holder on my hip (although I found it easier to slide back in with the cap down.)

I also took a 3L platypus that I used to tote water up the mountain. It has an inline Mini, as well, and I can filter water from the bladder into cook pot, GR or use bite valve to drink at camp. Since I found water up top, I doubt I'll have to tote water up the mountain on the hunt, but we will have to tote it out of a steep canyon if we have to rely on that option.

If I was using a Steripen, a Nalgene with larger opening would be the obvious choice over SW/GR bottles.
                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                  Lol, that's the price you pay to not hunt by other people! I am in the same boat, though our hike is much shorter, and into wilderness. The wilderness weeds out the lazy people!

Good luck this fall.
                  Unfortunately, a checkbook plus a man with horses is the great equalizer.

Comment

Got some wild turkey noodle soup im gonna try to dehydrate this week. Any tips?

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                      Pack: Stone Glacier sky 5900
                      Boots: La Sportiva Trango Cube
                      Bag: North Face Hyper Kazoo 15 degree
                      Pad: Thermorest z-lite
                      Poles: Leki
                      Headlamp: Black Diamond Storm
                      Dry Bags: Sea to Summit event compression bags
                      Foot Care: moleskin and glacier gel (little duct tape as well)
                      Bino Harness: Outdoor Vision
                      Knife: Outdoor Edge razor lite
                      Binos: Swarovski 10x42 EL
                      Rifle: WTO built 6.5saum w/Titanium action

Clothing is a mix and match group

Rain Gear: Sitka Stormfront
                      Jacket: Sitka 90% and Sitka Kelvin down
                      Tops: Sitka core hvy wt hoody
                      Pants: Marmot Scree or Sitka ascent
                      Socks: Darn Tough hiker full cushion
                      Underwear: Smartwool merino 150 boxer briefs
                      Baselayers: Kuiu Merino 145 long sleeve and 145 zip off pants.
                      Gloves: Mechanix fast fit and Sitka Stormfront
                      Camp Shoes: Crocs

Well my gear was pretty spot on and would do it the same next time EXCEPT ONE THING. I will not use a foam pad again only inflatable going forward.

Comment

Well my gear was pretty spot on and would do it the same next time EXCEPT ONE THING. I will not use a foam pad again only inflatable going forward.
                        It took me one week long hunt in 2006 to figure that one out, side sleeping on a little foam accordion is no bueno! Great job on the ram amigo!

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                          It took me one week long hunt in 2006 to figure that one out, side sleeping on a little foam accordion is no bueno! Great job on the ram amigo!
                          Thank you sir. That’s no lie it won’t happen again

Comment

Thank you sir. That’s no lie it won’t happen again

I think I’m gonna go with the Down mat 7 for a sleeping pad. It’s a little heavy and overkill but it should work great in any situation and it’s warm enough I think I can run a quilt with it.

Comment

Iodine tabs or just trust your filter?

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                                Iodine tabs or just trust your filter?

Hey weigh nothing so I see no reason not to have some with you just in case the filter clogs or fails. If my filter is working I just trust it.

Comment

Working...
                                X