How short is too short?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How short is too short?

I will likely be buying a new recurve sometime in the next couple of months. Since I plan to hunt with it out of ground blinds and tree stands I'm thinking I want something shorter and a little more manueverable than my longbow. With a draw length of 27.5", how short can I go before it gets "pinchy"? Are shorter bows harder to shoot accurately due to less stability?

Do you shoot 3 under or split? I've found that finger pinch is less of a factor on short bows for me because I shoot 3 under (the string angle really comes into play when shooting split though).

My shortest recurve is 60" and it draws smoothly with no stack or pinch out to my 29.5" draw (much of this is due to limb design and material selection). Out of all the bows I own I shoot this one the best (even at 40+ yards), so in the end it comes down to what works for you.

Comment

Originally posted by agtex42 View Post
      Do you shoot 3 under or split? I've found that finger pinch is less of a factor on short bows for me because I shoot 3 under (the string angle really comes into play when shooting split though)..
      I shoot 3 under as well. I'd like to get a 58" if I can shoot it comfortably.

Comment

I can shoot a 58" bow and I shoot split finger. I draw 29 1/2" and settle in at 29". The length I shoot best is 62"..yes I use even a 66" out of a blind or tree stand.
        A shorter bows limbs react faster as they tend to be shorter. Any problem you induce will be magnified.

Comment

Nothing less than 62" for me. I tried a shorter one once and they are not for me. I hunt out of homemade ground blinds all the time and a 70" bow would not be a problem out of ours. You really need to shoot a few short bows and see how you like them.

Bisch

Comment

I just picked up a 52" Bear Kodiak Magnum this past weekend and while it doesn't fling an arrow near as fast as my Sarrels Wildcat, there's no finger pinch and it's a good shooter. I see no stability or accuracy issues due to its' short length. I'm pulling alittle over 27 1/2".

Matt

Comment

I like shorter bows also. I have a "short" longbow that is 50"s tip to tip when strung and it shoots great. I have a 27" draw and shoot 3 fingers under, and when I do my part there are no problems hitting what I want to. With this said, there are times I wish it was more like 54-56"s long.

Comment

If your gonna be hunting out of a pop-up. I would go with a bow. Like bobs Wildcatt model.

Comment

I have a 58" Puma from Mr. Sarrels. No pinch (28" draw) and a smooth shooter.

Comment

Originally posted by Trick View Post
                    I just picked up a 52" Bear Kodiak Magnum this past weekend and while it doesn't fling an arrow near as fast as my Sarrels Wildcat, there's no finger pinch and it's a good shooter. I see no stability or accuracy issues due to its' short length. I'm pulling alittle over 27 1/2".

Matt
                    The bear kodiak magnum. Is a good shooting bow. I liked shooting it.

Comment

I have a Tolke TD recurve that is 56" and it shoots just fine.

Comment

I also have a really nice old Bear Super Magnum at 48" that a great buddy of mine gave me. It too doesn't have much pinch, but is a bit twitchy.

Comment

What about something like this, a cool-looking "horse bow" sold at http://www.timelesstailors.com/p-463...w-sg-044.aspx?

I've never shot one of these, but I'd like to try one. The one above is supposedly 58" when strung, but it doesn't appear to have a shelf. So you'd have to shoot off the knuckle.

Comment

I have a 54" wildcat that is 54@28 that I can sell you, I have gone to lighter weights. Good bow blind bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Selfbowman View Post
                              I have a 54" wildcat that is 54@28 that I can sell you, I have gone to lighter weights. Good bow blind bow.
                              Oh boy, if my shoulder could handle that weight I'd be all over that.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X