Deer of a Lifetime: 164" Goliad County Monster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer of a Lifetime: 164" Goliad County Monster

In keeping with tradition, the story will be long and proably boring. This is going to take several post to get it all in, so if you don"t like reading just scroll through the pics.

My Deer of a Lifetime

Everyone has their own idea of “a deer of a lifetime” based on where they hunt, how much cash they have to spend on a hunt as well as their own personal set of criteria about the hunt conditions. I have dreamed of this deer for many years. Not necessarily this exact deer, but the deer that was harvested during a hunt that I would never forget that was shared with friends and family that I care about. It would be the deer that scored much more than anything I had ever harvested and the one that had my heart pounding out of my chest when he walked in and kept me shaking 20 minutes after I released the arrow.
    I just harvested my “Deer of a Lifetime”!
    For the last three years Judy and I have taken a break from hunting our Whodathunkit Ranch in Edwards County to go on a hunt on the Schaar Ranch in Goliad County. The Schaar is a low fenced cow and cutting horse operation that runs 3 five day hunts for a maximum of 6 people each year. It is one of those hunts that once you are on, you are on for life until you decide to give up your spot. Many of the people hunting the ranch today have been hunting it for 20 years. It was blind luck that we have this opportunity to join in this list of fortunate people. Judy met Ronnie Bradford on one of the Knock-It-Up hunts in Mississippi when they just happened to have a last minute spot come open. Since then several people have moved away or aged to the point they were no longer hunting and I was able to secure an entire week of 6 spots on the ranch for the 2010-2011 hunting season. I started calling up all my hunting buddies and friends and offering them a spot on the hunt until we ended up with a solid group of friends that made the hunt so much more special.
    The motley crew included my favorite hunting partner, who just happens to be my wife (Judy) as well as Denny Adelung, Brian McKinney, and Ryan Mahan. We all met up at the Whataburger in Goliad on Friday Dec 3rd where we also met Ronnie, his wife Joan, and Chris (assistant guide). We made our way to the ranch and arrived around 3pm and began setting things in order and preparing for the next morning. We looked at sheds, trail cam pics and discussed the lay of the land as well as the ranch rules which are few in number and easy to understand. You can kill one buck of any size or any age, one turkey, one Javi and all the pigs and coyotes you can stick. No long tailed cats may be harvested and stay in your stand until Ronnie or Chris comes to pick you up.
    The next morning was cold a windy as the cold front had moved in the night before. I found myself sitting in the Merlin stand which I knew well. I had spent 5 full days in the same stand 3 years ago chasing a giant 135 – 140” 6 pt that I wanted bad. Though I saw him several times he was just to clever to come into bow range. As the sun came up I realized just how good the summer rains had been to the ranch and how much the mesquite flat had filled in. The view was not as open as it had been in years past, but it was big buck country for sure.
    As I scanned the flat with my binos I caught a buck moving through the tangled mess of mesquite and weesatche trees. He was about 200 yards out and making his way in my direction but he was in no hurry. He moved slowly,stopping often to stick his nose in the air and lick his nostrils to improve his ability to wind any predator (including me) that may lurk in the shadows. He was a sure’nough stud. I estimated him to be over 22” wide with 24”+ beams and long times. He had great mass and kickers on both G2’s and one on his G3. I rough scored him at 150 and there was no doubt this was a deer I would take if given the opportunity.
    Over the next 15 minutes I watched as my worst fears became reality. This old boy was smart and this was not his first rodeo. He circled the feeding area downwind of me. Now I was all scentlocked up and had sprayed down good. My clothes never come in the house and I dress outside (which is a bit chilling at 36 degrees with a northern blowing 20 mph). Even with all those precautions he hung up at 29 yards with his nose in the air. He stretched his neck multiple times and constantly licked at his nostrils. He was catching a whiff of something he did not like, but he could not quite make it out. Though he was broadside at 29 yards a mesquite bush covered his vitals and I struggled to convince myself I could thread an arrow through there. All I needed was for him to take one more step and he was mine.
    It was not to be. He let out a low snort and turned and began working his way back the direction he came, again very slowly and with all his senses alert and his muscles ready to bound out of harm’s way. No white flag of the tail and no urgency, but he was vacating the area none the less. He was without a doubt a monster, but watching a buck that is over 22” wide walk away from you just makes him look that much bigger. He punished me for 20 minutes as he seemed to taunt me with his slow retreat as if to say “not this year big boy”.
    The rest of the morning was fairly uneventful with the exception of a nice 135” 3-1/2 year old ten point that is going to make a great deer in a couple of years. The only other animals spotted were the darned green jays that seem to eat as much of your hand corn as the deer do, and noisy little boogers at that. Then I get a text from Judy. BIG BUCK DOWN. She was so excited, trying to read her text was like trying to solve Chinese arithmetic problems, but I got the idea. She watched him go down and did not want to go see him until I got there.
    She was standing at the feeder looking at her arrow stuck in the ground when I arrived and the excitement on her face was worth a million dollars. She was pumped, as she should have been. As we made our way 15 yards into the brush behind the feeder we found a stud of an 8pt with his head stuck in the brush. He carried real nice mass, had awesome brow tines and those dark chocolate horns that we love so much in S. Texas. She made a perfect shot on this mature buck that scored 131-1/8. Not her biggest bow buck but another Pope and Young buck to her credit. Seeing her that excited brings me great joy. It is so much sweater when it is caused by hunting since many men do not have a spouse that shares the same passion about hunting as they do.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0080.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	24835950

Name:	DSC_0096.jpg
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	24835951

Name:	DSC_0104.jpg
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	24835952

Name:	IMG_2504.jpg
Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	24835953

Name:	IMG_2508.jpg
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	24835954

TO BE CONTINUED

Back at camp the stories were flowing like the Guadalupe river after a good hill country downpour. Denny described a nice 9pt that he watched all morning and we all gave him a hard time for not letting the air out of him. We then settled into a great home cooked lunch in the camp house, cleaned Judy’s buck and prepared for the evening hunt.
    Movement was a bit slow for me Saturday afternoon with the exception of a few young buck and those corn thieving green jays. The nice young 10pt came back to see me and a mature 130” 8pt that tempted me a bit, but I was going to hold out for a little more bone.
    Back at camp, Denny and Brian were all smiles. Denny had taken everyone’s advice and put the smack down on the 9pt. This deer had character on top of character and ended up scoring 142. Not bad for his first bow buck in 13 years. Brian stuck a really cool 8pt that had matching kickers on both G 2’s and long main beams that reached for the sky. He only scored 127, but looks much bigger and I would have taken him had he come in on me. It was the first day of the hunt and 3 of the 5 hunters had nice deer on the ground. Ryan and I were the only hold outs but there was a lot of hunting left and we were not worried at all.

Name:	DSC_0109.jpg
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	23965733

Name:	DSC_0118.jpg
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	23965734

Name:	DSC_0154.jpg
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	23965735

Name:	IMG_2550.jpg
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	23965736

Name:	DSC_0136.jpg
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	23965737

Name:	DSC_0151.jpg
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	23965738

Name:	IMG_2552.jpg
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	23965739

Comment

Great story so far and great buck!!!

Comment

The next morning came and went with another chilly sit in the stand. I saw some nice young deer but nothing to get overly excited about. The same was said for the rest of the crew. Ryan and I were still chasing bone while the others were on pig, turkey and Javi patrol.
        That evening was more of the same for me, but Ryan connected on a great 8pt with crazy 24” long beams that scored 135 and Brian stuck his first Javi and Denny put the smack down on a nice 130# porker. Happy hunters filled the camp and another great home cooked meal filled our bellies. Life was good and we knew it.

Name:	DSC_0156.jpg
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	23965740

Name:	IMG_2518.jpg
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	23965741

Name:	IMG_2554.jpg
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	23965742

Comment

Monday morning came and went and I was still the last hold out to put bone on the ground. I still had 5 hunts to go and I was not nervous at all. The deer were there, I just had not found one big enough to convince me to release the High Velocity Carbon Poisoning from my Bowtech Guardian and Slick Trick tipped Axis arrows.
          As we prepared to leave for the afternoon hunt, I was piling my gear in the ranger and headed out to the stand I had sat in that morning when I hear Ronnie call my name from the house. I hurried in to find him review game cam pictures from the Anaqua stand (given its name because the stand sits in an anaqua tree mot). No one had hunted this stand yet as it is only about half a mile from the ranch headquarters and had seen little buck activity in the last few weeks. The new pictures however showed a different story. The previous afternoon a real nice 8pt and a heavy horned 9pt had shared time under the feeder. The 9 looked to be a good deer and one I was ready to go after. I had no idea just how good he was.
          I was in the ranger and ready to go before Ronnie could get the question, “do you want to hunt here tonight”, out of his mouth. With a bit of excitement flowing through my veins, I settled into the lock-on up high in the deep green lush canopy of the anaqua mot. It was a great set up and you would literally have to do a jig in this stand to be seen by a deer. I had that feeling that this was going to be the hunt to put me on the board with bone on the ground and allow me to turn my sites on the pork side of my sausage ingredients list. The anticipation built and I soaked up that feeling that keeps me coming back every year.
          It did not take long and the resident herd of corriente cattle came in and licked up the majority of my hand corn. They had forgotten to mention that this was another reason we had not been hunting this stand. As they finally made their way out of the area I could see a few golden nuggets remained and based on my watch the feeder would be going off in 20 minutes anyway so I decided not to get too worked up about it.
          Just as I was thinking all this through the first doe arrives and then another. Before long I have 5 does and a nubbin buck searching out the last remaining kernels of hand corn that the calves could not get out of the grass. As the feeder goes off they all scatter but return quickly and joining them this time is the nice 8 seen on camera. Boy he was tempting. I scored him at about 138 but he could have gone a little bigger. As I studied him I made up my mind I was going to wait for the bigger 9 that was on camera. I thought he would go around 145 or so and I still had two days after this hunt to go after the 8 if the 9 never showed up. With that said I was still struggling with the old “bird in hand” lesson and thought that come Wednesday night when the hunt was over, I might be regretting this decision, but I was going to stick to my guns.
          About 20 minutes later this proved to be the right thing to do!
          Being high up in the anaqua mot canopy I had a very limited viewing area. It was only about 30 yards wide and straight in front of me with the feeder dead in the middle. I had noticed the other deer looking off to my left occasionally for quite some time, but could not see what they were looking at. They all started to move to the right side of the feeder and the big 8 puffed up and made himself twice as big as he was earlier. I knew this meant there was another buck coming in but could not see him yet.
          The 8 point laid his ears back and he gave out a bit of a grunt which was immediately answered from my left just out of view. I strained to see through the tiny holes of light in the leaves and caught a glimpse of a lot of bone making its way into the feeder. I did not see enough to know just how big, but enough to know I needed to get my bow ready.
          The rest of this story happened so fast that it was over in a matter of seconds, but in my mind the memory is as clear as any memory I have. The big brute steps into my shooting lane behind the feeder and he too was larger than life with ears laid back and posturing to the other buck. As they walked sideways to each other I was floored by the mass on this deer and the character in his rack. There was no doubt this was the shooter I had been waiting on and the game camera pictures did not do him justice.
          I had my bow up and was ready to draw as soon as he was broadside. These two old boys did not like each other and you would think they had caught each other sleeping with the others wife the way they were posturing. Then it happened. He turned slightly quartered away right in front of a bush I had ranged at 28 yards and in an instant I was drawn and had my 30 yard pin settled low on his chest right at his elbow. My heart was ringing in my ears and I could feel my pulse raging throughout my body. I talked to myself like I was having an out of body experience: “steady,….breath,…… relax,….. follow through,…… watch the arrow hit through your sight,…… squeeze…….. and the arrow was on its way. Almost simultaneously the buck lunged at the other buck and I watched the white wrapped arrow burry into the deer much further back than I had intended.
          He spun off in an instant and I could see blood coming out his side all ready. I was not happy with the shot, but felt like it would still be liver as well as the offside lung and that he would not go far. The rest of the story is a blur. I started shaking like I had never shaken before. I have taken some magnificent animals in Africa, but none of them shook me like this. I actually had leaves raining down on me from the trees above because I was shaking so bad. If you know anything about Woodsy Too tree stands you will know that Ronnie puts a seatbelt in them. I never use the belt except for when I get in the tree early in the morning and think I will nap before the sun comes up. I can tell you that I was glad it was there. I snapped that thing in place as quick as I could as I truly felt I was going to fall out of that tree I was shaking so bad.
          It took me 10 minutes to type out a simple text stating “I just put an arrow through an absolute monster”. It took 45 minutes for me to calm the shakes down; not get rid of them, just calm them down to the point I felt I could get out of the tree without busting my butt on the way down. About an hour after the shot, Judy and Ronnie showed up to help me track him out. This is where the story goes from a fairy tale to a nightmare.
          We find blood immediately and it is pretty easy to follow for about 75 yards and then it goes to pin drops and after another 40 yards it disappears. I mean gone, poof, nada, nothing. We get Cooter (my tracking wirehair) and put her on the trail. She follows the blood trail for about 80 yards and then cuts off on a trail away from where the blood was headed. We pull her back and she does the same thing again. No idea what was pulling her off onto the wrong trail and why we could not get her to follow the actual trail. She has found several deer this year that would not have been found had it not been for her, but for whatever reason there was something that went down that other trail that she just could not leave alone.
          We looked until about 12:30 that night after being joined by the rest of the crew and finally came to the conclusion that we need to wait until morning. I was sick. I actually lost my lunch. I could not believe that I could have possibly lost the biggest deer I had ever shot and wasted such a magnificent animal. Ronnie and Chris tried to reassure me that we would find him. It was a fatal hit and he was down and probably close, we just needed to wait until morning. They also tried to convince me that the worst case scenario was that the buzzards would get up the next morning and find him for us. I was not buying into this and felt that if we did not find him the coyotes would and there would be nothing left for the buzzards to find.
          The next morning found us back in the field right at daylight. We gridded the area until 2:30 and found nothing. We could not find any more blood and no deer. The sick feeling just got worse and that piled onto the sleepless night did not make me a very fun person to be around. Ronnie continued to try to convince me that it was so cold the night before and during the day that he had not started to put off any odor and that is why the buzzards had not found him, but they would. I was still a non-believer. I wanted to keep looking but the crew convinced me that the best course of action was to give it another night and the birds would find him. I reluctantly agreed but had very little hope of finding this deer.
          I half hearted got my gear together and climbed in to the truck to be delivered to a stand that was getting hammered by pigs. As I sat in the tree, all I could think about was how my haste in taking the shot while the two bucks squared off instead of waiting until they calmed down cost me such an amazing animal. As I was lost in my sorrow a big boar came into my set and after a bit of a cat and mouse game I took out my frustration on him. I hammered him and he piled up 20 yards later. He ended up weighing 170#’s, and was a good pig, but little consolation.
          After another night of little to no sleep, I got up wanting to go straight out and search for my deer. Ronnie was adamant that I go out to a tree and stick another pig, turkey or Javi and let the birds do their work. I reluctantly agreed again. About 30 minutes before daylight a nice sow woke me from my nap crunching on my hand corn. I had just bought me a new Kill Lite and it was time to put it to work. These things are bright and the animals do not react to the green light at all. I lit her up and sent the arrow on its way directly behind the front shoulder and out the back shoulder. She made it a whole 15 yards and piled up.
          Shortly after daylight I watched the buzzards come off roost and prayed that they would fulfill their role in this mess and lead us to my buck. As I watched them circle I talked to the Big Guy and thanked him for all the blessing he had provided me and asked him for a little help in finding this buck. I knew he had much greater issues and request much more deserving on his plate, but pleaded my case anyway.
          About an hour after daylight I could not take it anymore and sent a text to the other guys to see if they were ready to get out of the stand and help me look for my deer. They all agreed and I sent a text to Ronnie and requested that he come pick us up. He responded with an “OK” and I waited impatiently. The next hour passed slowly and I could not figure out what was taking him so long. When he finally got to me, he had all ready picked up all the other guys and we loaded my sow and headed to the camp.
          When we arrived at camp I noticed buzzards circling in the area I shot my buck and got excited. I pointed them out to Ronnie and said “let’s go”. Ronnie was very calm and said, let’s grab breakfast and then we can go look. I was shocked. I wanted to go now. My buck could be out there getting eat up by the buzzards. I pleaded again and again Ronnie calmly asked me to relax and explained that we would grab a quite bite and then go take a look. All the while Judy is telling me to keep my hunting clothes on so we could get a picture with my sow. I was not interested in this at all. It was just a stinking 120# pig and lying out there in the brush was a giant buck. Remember, I am not a very happy guy and no fun to be around. I walked into camp and grabbed my jacket and argued with Judy a bit about taking pictures with a stupid pig and stormed out of the camp house.
          Just as I stepped off the porch I see Ronnie coming back from the barn in the ranger. At first I did not pay much attention, but then something caught my eye. There was a giant rack sticking up out of the back and there was no doubt what deer it was. I ran off the porch like a scalded dog and as soon as I rounded the ranger and could see this buck I fell to my knees and gave thanks to God for answering the numerous prayers I had sent up over the last 36 hours. I am a spiritual person and I have a conversation with the Big Guy at least once a day, but over the last few days I believe I was having them once an hour.
          As I laid my hands on this monster, the true gravity of what had happened sank in. I had just killed my “Buck of a Lifetime”. Everyone was there and witnessed me melt like frosty the snowman on a spring day. There were high fives all around and hugs for my wife and Ronnie. I raised my arms to the sky and hollered thank you multiple times. He was a true giant for anywhere in the world and an even greater accomplishment for Goliad County. His mass is incredible at just under 35”. His browse are bladed on both sides and his beams are 26” long with 13” G2’s and a kicker thrown in for good measure. He is a shor’nough stud at 164” gross and 154” net ( but who cares about net).
          So the story goes like this. As soon as the sun come up Ronnie and Chris saw the buzzards circling and hopped on the ranger to go investigate. They found the old boy about 450 yards from the shot and in an area I had walked within 20 yards of 4 times. The coyotes had all ready had their way with him and had eaten both hams, the back straps and one shoulder by the time they got to him. Such a waste of a great animal, but as Ronnie said; “coyotes got to eat too”. When they came up to the house there was a discussion between Ronnie, Chris and Judy as to whether or not to text me and tell me or just immediately ride out to where I was hunting with him in the ranger. My lovely bride thought that a few more minutes was not going to kill me and that it would be better to surprise me with everyone there. This is why it took Ronnie so long to come get me and why he was not interested in my excitement to go check out the buzzards. I would not have had it any other way.
          This buck had never been seen by anyone on the ranch, not even the cowboys that spend a ton of time in the pasture and I killed him less than half a mile from the ranch headquarters. He had never been caught on game camera until the night before I shot him. One of the sets of sheds we admire each year when we get to camp that were found two years ago are without a doubt his sheds. One was found in the area where I shot him and the other was found about ¾ of a mile from there. This sneaky buck had lived out his life under the noses of everyone on the ranch for at least 5-1/2 years completely undetected until I was blessed once again.
          There is a bit of an argument as to how old the buck is based on his teeth. I believe he is 6-1/2 and Steve Schaar and Ronnie believe he is 5-1/2. I am sending off his tooth to have him aged and to clear up that up for good.

Name:	DSC_0203.jpg
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	23965743

Name:	DSC_0208.jpg
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	23965744

Name:	DSC_0216.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	23965745

Name:	DSC_0235.jpg
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	23965746

Name:	DSC_0245.jpg
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	23965747

Name:	IMG_2604.jpg
Size:	310.8 KB
ID:	23965748

Name:	IMG_2617.jpg
Size:	314.5 KB
ID:	23965749

Name:	IMG_2628.jpg
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	23965750

Name:	IMG_2633.jpg
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	23965751

Name:	IMG_2650.jpg
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	23965752

Comment

Name:	IMG_2654.jpg
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	23965753

Name:	IMG_2528.jpg
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	23965754

Name:	DSC_0146.jpg
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	23965755

Name:	DSC_0162.jpg
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	23965756

Name:	DSC_0264.jpg
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	23965757

Name:	IMG_2541.jpg
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	23965758

Name:	DSC_0260.jpg
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	23965759

It was awesome to have the whole group there to see him when I did and share in the excitement. It is amazing how a simple little thing like finding this buck turned me from the grouchiest guy in camp to the happiest. I am truly blessed in life. I have an awesome wife and family, great friends and hunting buddies, a good job that affords me pleasures that many people do not have such as a ranch of my own to hunt and means to spend time doing so. I have been blessed with many beautiful animals to put on the wall and many a hunting story to tell, but this one goes down, without a doubt, as the best ever for many reason. Sure he is an awesome buck and I may never kill one that scores even close, but the environment, the friends, and the trail of events throughout this hunt have etched themselves into my heart and memory bank for ever.
            My greatest thanks go out to the Good Lord for all the blessings he has bestowed upon me and after that I have to thank my wife for supporting my hunting passion and joining in it with me. Then there are thanks to Steve and Kelly Schaar for sharing their beautiful ranch with us every year and Ronnie and Joan Bradford for allowing us to be part of the hunt. Last but not least the whole crew at this year’s hunt. It was an awesome time and congratulations on your fine bucks. For those of you that got an invite and could not join for whatever reason….. We missed ya.
            Here are the scores from everyone’s deer as well as the score sheet for my deer.
            Gross Net
            Brian 127-0/8 122-0/8
            Judy 131-1/8 129-5/8
            Ryan 135-1/8 129-7/8
            Denny 142-6/8 134-3/8
            Clent 164-0/8 154-0/8

Clent's Schaar 9pt 12-6-10

Age 6-1/2
            Right pts 5
            Left pts 5
            Inside Spread 20-2/8
            Tip To tip 12-1/8
            Outside Spread 22-6/8

LEFT RIGHT DIFF
            Main 25-6/8 26-0/8 2/8 abnormal 1-6/8
            G1 5-0/8 5-5/8 5/8
            G2 13-0/8 12-7/8 1/8
            G3 6-4/8 8-3/8 1-7/8
            G4 4-2/8 4-2/8
            50-2/8 57-1/8 7-1/8

C1 4-6/8 4-6/8 0
            C2 4-5/8 4-4/8 1/8
            C3 4-4/8 4-4/8 0
            C4 3-0/8 4-0/8 1-0/8 Mass 34-5/8
            16-7/8 17-6/8 1-1/8

LEFT 67-1/8
            RIGHT 74-7/8
            Abnormal 1-6/8
            INSIDE 20-2/8
            GROSS 164-0/8
            DIFF 10
            NET 154-0/8

Comment

Congrats on a great buck.

Comment

AWESOME. Loved the write-up and what a trophy at the end! Huge congrats to you and Judy along with all the other hunters. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Comment

Sure are some smiling faces in this thread--and for good reason. Good friends, good bucks, and a great time I'm sure. Congrats!!

Comment

Awesome!

Can you send me the Cliff notes, please!

Comment

Wow! That's a load of bone. And your buck tops it all off. Beautiful buck. Congrats!

Comment

Dude those are some nice bucks but that one of yours is a BEAST. That Rack looks like you shot Santas lead deer!!

Comment

Wow - Congrats

Comment

Awesome trophy for sure. Thanks for an amazing recap!

Comment

17 cups of coffee later.... I FINISHED!!

Clent I've told you this a couple of times already, but congratulations again bro!!
                              I felt like I was hunting with ya'll with the write up!

Comment

Working...
                              X