Shooting Does with yearlings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting Does with yearlings?

Just looking for opinions (or facts if you got em) on shooting does that still have yearlings with them (no spots, not fawns). My question is will the yearling be fine without momma? Is it guaranteed survival? 50/50? I've been hunting a buck-only county, but now am bowhunting so I'll be taking a doe or two seeing as my other family doesnt bow hunt. So its up to me to do the doe management. Thanks.

I am a little confused are u changing the place u hunt? Says u are in a buck only county but will be taking does with a bow. As far a the dow with yearlings I try not to shoot them just on personal preference. I guess u can call me a softy

Comment

no spots should be fine its a personal choice i will never do it again after i watched a yearling come back to its mom and try and get her to get up made me feel like crap but its all up to the hunter

Comment

i never shoot a doe that has a yearling with her...just a rule for me no facts to back it up.

Comment

I'm a softy can't shoot mom with a little one

Comment

I really thought I could do it.... old momma doe with a fawn and this old momma is the one who always busts me and blows for 15 minutes before leaving. She has a tear in her left ear and double throat patch so I always know its her---last season I had her at 12 yds feeding on hand corn with her youngin close by. I picked up my bow but never had the heart to let an arrow loose at her I did clip on my release and pick my bow up but never drew

Comment

If you are worried about it shoot the yearling. A doe is a doe as far as management goes. May not be the most ethical but it serves the same purpose and is some mighty fine eatin'. Just make SURE it's a doe!!!

Comment

I can't bring myself to shoot one with a yearling with her.

Comment

I can't do it, but I have a buddy who accidentally shot a doe that had twin buck fawns. He didn't know they were there until after he shot her. He has pictures of those bucks consistently at that same feeder for 5-6 years after that. I guess they were never run off, so they stayed around.

Comment

Originally posted by game stalker View Post
                    i'm a softy can't shoot mom with a little one
                    x's 2

Comment

We don't shoot any does until Dec. 1. We believe in giving the yearling ample time to suckle. But what works on my place may not work on yours. Plus we are MLDIII, so we have some extra time to kill all of our does.

Comment

Many of the draw hunts are of such - they need animals down to reduce the carrying capacity and dropping a yearling or doe with a yearling is doing good herd management as well as habitat management.

On my first draw hunt ever, I dropped 2 yearling fawns since I did not want to roll the dice on in hopes to see another deer and that were the only 2 deer seen and harvested from that blind for that hunt period.

They do eat great, but I do size them up more so sex-wise as to not shoot a yearling buck that hasn't push their antlers through or showing it is a young buck.

Comment

The first deer I ever shot with a bow was a doe on the opening day of bow season about 15 years ago. The excitement of my first bow kill was diminished by her young'un who sat and watched the field dressing process from about 25 yards away. (until I couldn't stand it anymore and chunked a rock to run it off) Another charter member of the softy club!

Comment

Nope I just don't do it

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                              The first deer I ever shot with a bow was a doe on the opening day of bow season about 15 years ago. The excitement of my first bow kill was diminished by her young'un who sat and watched the field dressing process from about 25 yards away. (until I couldn't stand it anymore and chunked a rock to run it off) Another charter member of the softy club!
                              X2 I know that feeling it SUCKS never again

Comment

Working...
                              X