I did it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did it!

I finally got my first whitetail with a bow. Jason (Ragin’) and I went to the lease Friday afternoon in Stonewall. We saw a few does Friday but we wanted to wait and see what else came in. We did see some axis but they don’t come to the feeder. Saturday morning we didn’t hunt but the evening we got in the blind around 4:45. The feeder went off at 5:30 and we saw more axis and tried to call them in but the most they did was look our way and we had 3 young axis bucks get within about 25 yards but on the wrong side of the blind. After they wandered off a nubbin and 2 does came our way but weren’t sure about coming to the feeder, it was windy. Jason used a call a few times and the nubbin wandered in along with the one of the does. He told me to go ahead and shoot her when she gave me a shot. He told me to make sure I anticipate where she’ll place her foot, which I did. She was at 20 yards, I drew back right as she put her foot down, and by the time I got my pin settled on her she had moved her foot again and given me a perfect shot. I have passed on so many shots because I wasn’t 100% confident that it was going to be a good shot but this one I was sure of. I was so disappointed when I saw where the arrow hit (I love my lighted nocks). Jason assured me it was nothing that I had done wrong. She had done some crazy matrix move and ducked and spun so my arrow barely clipped her lungs but hit an artery under her back bone. She made a big loop, jumped the fence into the field and piled up under some trees. We heard her crash, she ended up about 50 yards from the blind. He kept telling me that it was ok, she was dead and we found her and it didn’t take long for her to drop. I’m just disappointed that it wasn’t the shot I had planned but Jason is right. I don’t think I would have been confident enough to shoot another one for a while had he not assured me that I didn’t do anything wrong and that it happens, they’re quick.

The best advice for someone new to hunting is anticipate where they're going to put their foot down or how they'll move. When Jason told me that, it made getting ready for the shot so much easier.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	firstdoe.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	24930403

I'm drawing 35 pounds and almost had a pass through, she broke my arrow but I got both ends back. The broad head was sticking out the other side about a foot when she ran past us.

Congratulations Gen...

Comment

OUTSTANDING !!!!! way to go ! sounds like it all worked out for ya

Comment

Congrats that is awesome

Comment

Awesome stuff sista , congrats

Comment

Awesome! Congrats! What broadhead did you use?

Comment

Awesome!
              Congrats!

Comment

Wtg!!!!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats!!!! Still waitin on mine lol

Comment

great job!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

I knew you could do it....The deer and the report..

Congrats Gen! The hard part is over now...the monkey is off the back!

Comment

congrats!

Comment

congrats on the first one of many to come!

Comment

Working...
                              X