Boyd's stock opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boyd's stock opinions

I already searched this and found a mix of reviews.
    I'm wanting to replace my Savage Axis 223 factory stock with something better. I dont want to spend more on a stock than the rifle originally cost. Especially for a rifle a dont use very often. Can I expect the barreled action to fit right in the stock and shoot well without extra fitting or bedding? Thanks.

many stocks will require minor fitting,,, having said that i did about 5 min work on my barrel channel and it was a perfect fit

Comment

You will have to do a little work. A dremel tool kit, a Saturday of college games on tv, some beer and you’ll be happy. I love Boyd’s stocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've got one of my Ruger Americans in Boyd's. It did need a little fitting from me. I also bedded mine. It made a nice improvement to the rifle. I really like the stock.

Comment

Boyd's stock opinions

I bought a Boyd's this year for a Mossberg 100ATR that costs roughly half the original rifle cost. It required a new trigger guard since the mossberg original plastic stock had one molded in and also a couple of new bolts. I'd say there was a bit more than minor fitting required but I'm used to woodworking and it was less than an hour to get it all fitting great. The original stock was flexing badly but now I have one that is rock solid, light weight and my cheap rifle is a tack driver!

Comment

Originally posted by Pullersboy View Post
            I've got one of my Ruger Americans in Boyd's. It did need a little fitting from me. I also bedded mine. It made a nice improvement to the rifle. I really like the stock.
            I’m thinking of doing the same...can you post some pics?

Comment

Both my savages I did fit like a glove! I guess it was luck. I love the heavier thumb hole stocks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Both mine fit fine

One on a Rem 700 in 22-250

Photo is of a Ruger 10/22 with bull barrel

Perfect fit on both
                Attached Files

Comment

Hendo, I haven't seen a heavy thumb hole stock, only the featherweight. Do you know if they still make them?

Comment

I have a couple of the thumbhole stocks on mine and my son's savages. They fit well.

Mine...is fairly unique...It is a left handed stock on a right handed action. I shoot a bow right handed and a rifle left handed.

Comment

I have a Remington 700 with a thumbhole stock and it fit perfect. Took all of 20 min. to change over from the old stock. I love the stock and will be buying more in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by jaspermac View Post
                        I’m thinking of doing the same...can you post some pics?
                        This is the only pic I could find. I'm not in a position to get more pics until tomorrow night.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-12-09 07.56.49.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	24558335

Comment

Originally posted by Pullersboy View Post
                          This is the only pic I could find. I'm not in a position to get more pics until tomorrow night.

[ATTACH]929843[/ATTACH]
                          That is very nice! Did you have to bed the barrel?

I’m between the exact stock you have and a bell and carlson

Comment

Originally posted by jaspermac View Post
                            That is very nice! Did you have to bed the barrel?

I’m between the exact stock you have and a bell and carlson
                            No. The barrel is floated. I did bed the whole action though.

Comment

I put a Boyds on my SS Axis in .223. Changed the whole feel of the gun. Bought the replacement trigger guard also. Topped it with a Leupold Rifleman. The gun is a looker now and is VERY accurate for such a economy priced gun. I would have never bought one, won it in a raffle and I am impressed. I have another Boyds on my AAC Handi Rifle and again. Love the way it feels and shoots compared to factory stock sets.
                              Savage is on top. Mossberg MVP below.

125 by Tony Pic, on Flickr
                              Last edited by Tony Pic; 10-20-2018, 02:42 PM. Reason: add pic

Comment

Working...
                              X