HELP: Foil wrap or not? Boston Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying out the new Rec Tec. I foolishly offered to “cater” my brothers bday party this afternoon. As of yesterday, the number of guests went from 6-8 to 18! So I’m stressing a bit ... especially since I’ve never smoked a pork shoulder before [emoji51] From what I’ve heard, they’re pretty tough to mess up. “So I’ve got that going for me ... Which is nice” [emoji23]

Got a 10lb bone-in Boston butt that I’ve had smoking at 225 since 11:30 last night. Current temp is 164. Was going to wrap around this point but I haven’t got the bark/color I’m looking for.

So you pellet smokers... do I wrap or no? Just worried about the extra time if I don’t. Worst case scenario, I can cook all the way up to 3PM (~15hr), wrap in foil/moving blanket, and let it rest at his place.

If not wrapping, I can “spritz” throughout the remainder of the cook time. Recommended?

I referenced a similar thread but I didn’t see anything regarding pellet smokers (specifically) and wrapping. Again, just worried that it’ll stall long enough to make me late to the party (4ish).

Also, what’s the best way to prepare the meat once pulled? I’m catching drippings in a mason jar with the intention of making a thin sauce. Or are y’all dry guys that prefer a bit more dry rub on the meat once pulled?

Any other rules/tips to consider? Help a brotha’ out.

TIA,
    Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never used pellets, only stick burner or drum but I have never wrapped a pork butt either.

If you want to wrap do it when you pull it to rest.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
      If you want to wrap do it when you pull it to rest.

[emoji1360]

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
        Trying out the new Rec Tec. I foolishly offered to “cater” my brothers bday party this afternoon. As of yesterday, the number of guests went from 6-8 to 18! So I’m stressing a bit ... especially since I’ve never smoked a pork shoulder before [emoji51] From what I’ve heard, they’re pretty tough to mess up. “So I’ve got that going for me ... Which is nice” [emoji23]

Got a 10lb bone-in Boston butt that I’ve had smoking at 225 since 11:30 last night. Current temp is 164. Was going to wrap around this point but I haven’t got the bark/color I’m looking for.

So you pellet smokers... do I wrap or no? Just worried about the extra time if I don’t. Worst case scenario, I can cook all the way up to 3PM (~15hr), wrap in foil/moving blanket, and let it rest at his place.

If not wrapping, I can “spritz” throughout the remainder of the cook time. Recommended?

I referenced a similar thread but I didn’t see anything regarding pellet smokers (specifically) and wrapping. Again, just worried that it’ll stall long enough to make me late to the party (4ish).

Also, what’s the best way to prepare the meat once pulled? I’m catching drippings in a mason jar with the intention of making a thin sauce. Or are y’all dry guys that prefer a bit more dry rub on the meat once pulled?

Any other rules/tips to consider? Help a brotha’ out.

TIA,
        Tim

See if you can read this picture. This is Smarts directions.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
          See if you can read this picture. This is Smarts directions.

Lol Smart immediately came to mind when I started this project.

My question, though, is regarding the lack of smoke due to the pellet smoking. On the stick burner, it’s typically got a nice bark by now. This one doesn’t... I’ve always crutched briskets and was planning on doing it here as well. On the rec tec recipes/videos, they don’t wrap. Was curious to see everybody’s personal experience. Hoping CLove chimes in. Saw several posts he made regarding his butts on the rec tec.

Thanks, bud.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
            Lol Smart immediately came to mind when I started this project.

My question, though, is regarding the lack of smoke due to the pellet smoking. On the stick burner, it’s typically got a nice bark by now. This one doesn’t... I’ve always crutched briskets and was planning on doing it here as well. On the rec tec recipes/videos, they don’t wrap. Was curious to see everybody’s personal experience. Hoping CLove chimes in. Saw several posts he made regarding his butts on the rec tec.

Thanks, bud.

Yours looks good to me. I use a propane smoker using wood chips and pellets, and followed those directions exactly. Turned of perfectly.

Comment

Well I’m sold... lol

Didn’t add brown sugar since I used a mix of molasses/Dijon to adhere the rub. Buttered, wrapped, and back in the smoke for another few hours.

Comment

You, and everyone else, will thoroughly enjoy it.

Comment

Looking good! I use a pellet grill and never had a problem with bark. This one looks good, just might need a little more time if you're worried about it. The rub you use can make a big difference too.

I like to wrap mine when feeding a bunch of people. Gives a little security that I don't have to sorry about an extended stall, leaving me with hungry guests. Also, wrapping keeps some of the moisture in the meat.

Let us know how it turns out! I've been eyeing the RecTec's since I got into pellet smoking.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryanm View Post
                    Looking good! I use a pellet grill and never had a problem with bark. This one looks good, just might need a little more time if you're worried about it. The rub you use can make a big difference too.

I like to wrap mine when feeding a bunch of people. Gives a little security that I don't have to sorry about an extended stall, leaving me with hungry guests. Also, wrapping keeps some of the moisture in the meat.

Let us know how it turns out! I've been eyeing the RecTec's since I got into pellet smoking.

I was surprised when I pulled it for wrapping. The bark had gotten significantly darker since I checked first thing this morning.

Out of the box, I was really impressed with the rec tec. It is STOUT! Stainless. Not stainless-coated. Also, the app is crazy useful. I’ve got an alarm set to let me know when the temp gets to 195. Another to notify me if temp deviates more than 10 degrees from 225.

I’ll post an update in a few hours when we unwrap.

Comment

Don’t forget to let it rest for at least an hour wrapped and inside an old cooler closed up... never had one, or anything else, turn out bad doing this. Might be a mental thing but it works well for me

Comment

Originally posted by WTJim View Post
                        Don’t forget to let it rest for at least an hour wrapped and inside an old cooler closed up... never had one, or anything else, turn out bad doing this. Might be a mental thing but it works well for me

Going to wrap for transport and leave resting for 2-4 hours while we roast corn/boudain.

I’ve always rested in towels/cooler. I saw several people saying NOT to though. A closed cooler turns into an over at 200. Makes sense, I guess.

Going to try it in towel and a moving blanket this time.

Comment

Originally posted by WTJim View Post
                          I agree that resting is a very important part to the cook, listen to this advice!

Comment

And yes. Blanket was washed [emoji23]

Comment

While this is my first butt on a pellet smoker, this is hardly my first time smoking meat, in general. I rest everything unless I’m using the immersion circulator AKA sous vide

Thanks for the tips. Curious to hear some thoughts on sauces vs dry rub after shredding

Comment

Working...
                              X