No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow and my boss just gripes at me because I need to get more work done and threatens to cancel my vacation, I need a new boss or new job.

Congratulations that is a dream bull.

Comment

Originally posted by G Posik View Post
      The cost I never asked but guessing a lot. That is one of the questions I do not ask when he invites me somewhere. My guide did a real quick measure out in the field and came up with 505. When I told that number a lot of people disagree. I have no clue how to score something like this. I can score a typical fairly well, but this........

Glenn
      Wow, I was wondering, and wouldn't be surprised by 505. He is a monster!
      Once again, congrats......and does you company have a location in Colorado hiring?
      I need a boss like that!

Comment

No open spots there. When we do it is mine. That is the running joke at work. We always say we should move the company there. Thanks again for the kind words. I can not wait to get the score fir the taxidermist.

Glenn

Comment

Dang man...that is one hell of an elk!! Great job!!! Just a question....and maybe to play a little "Devils Advocate" here.....how did you manage to get 2 licenses in Colorado?? I thought your second license could only be an "antlerless" tag??

Comment

Did not use the first tag on the DIY hunt (Tag soup there). The ranch I hunted was in an OTC unit.

Glenn

Comment

We had a very tough hunt in NM this year. We got on some bulls but they just were not doing much. We left a couple days early to help some buddies in southern NM. I went from having a very tough hunt to the best day elk hunting in my life. I called in Five bulls for my buddy in one day. All bulls were within 40 yards. He ended up getting a nice 5X5 bull at 21 yards.

Come on next year.

I do get to guide a muzzle loader hunt in NM unit 34. I hope the Elk will still be talking by then.

Comment

Originally posted by G Posik View Post
                Did not use the first tag on the DIY hunt (Tag soup there). The ranch I hunted was in an OTC unit.

Glenn
                If you hunted...you "used" it right??

Comment

Originally posted by NMStickFlinger3 View Post
                  If you hunted...you "used" it right??
                  No.
                  the tag is only "used" if you filled it by taking an animal, otherwise you can hunt anytime during the archery season Aug 25- Sept 23rd this year on any Over The Counter(OTC) unit.

There have been years where I made 4 trips up there during that time to hunt.

Comment

6 days left until I leave for New Mexico, I am worthless at work this week.
                    I keep looking at all these pictures and reading all these stories on the green screen and it is eating me up. I woke up the other morning and my wife told me how tired I looked. I had to admit to her that I am was already chasing bulls all over the mountains of New Mexico in my dreams all night long.

Comment

Here's a question for y'all. I am in New Mexico now on a private ranch hunting alfalfa fields. Saw 5 bulls yesterday morning too early to shoot. Saw 4 this morning after sunrise all young bulls. Today is day 2 of a five day hunt. Would you harvest a young bull and be done with it or hold out for a rumored 7x7 that's in the area?

Comment

Shoot what makes you happy. Me I would not get worried until about day 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Floor Man View Post
                          X2

Comment

Originally posted by Floor Man View Post
                            Excellent advice!

Comment

Originally posted by HOOKNBULLET2 View Post
                              Here's a question for y'all. I am in New Mexico now on a private ranch hunting alfalfa fields. Saw 5 bulls yesterday morning too early to shoot. Saw 4 this morning after sunrise all young bulls. Today is day 2 of a five day hunt. Would you harvest a young bull and be done with it or hold out for a rumored 7x7 that's in the area?
                              If you are seeing that many young bulls I would hold out until Day 4 as stated above. Now if you had just seen your first animal on day 2 of the hunt then that might change the situation a little

Comment

I'm outta here early for my elk hunt. I had an accident two days ago and punctured my calf muscle. Was given the option to close the puncture or leave it open. I too the five stitches. If I sit to long I get stove up real bad. Currently fighting a allergic reaction to the antibiotics I was scripted.

But to heck with it. It is elk hunting and I cannot miss it.

Comment

Working...
                                X