Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Oilfield Guys!!

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
    I couldn't do it now but before my current lifestyle I could find a way to make it work. It wouldn't be anywhere near what I consider comfortable though. Thats why I TRY to keep it in my pants and keep us at a family of 3

More to go around that way

Between me and Heather we have 6 kids. 5 girls!!!! The only jewels around are me, Grayson and Hooey Our German Shorthair Pointer. We are sooo outnumbered!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
      Between me and Heather we have 6 kids. 5 girls!!!! The only jewels around are me, Grayson and Hooey Our German Shorthair Pointer. We are sooo outnumbered!!!!
      Good lord potna that sounds down right scary to me

Comment

Good lord potna that sounds down right scary to me

It can be. I ain't scared of jack **** in this world!!!! Except Heather n my Daddy. You wanna see me catch a case of Get Right?! Let one of them 2 show up!!!! And Heather is only 5'3". I'm not scared of her, I'm terrified!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
          It can be. I ain't scared of jack **** in this world!!!! Except Heather n my Daddy. You wanna see me catch a case of Get Right?! Let one of them 2 show up!!!! And Heather is only 5'3". I'm not scared of her, I'm terrified!!!!
          I tell mine all the time I ain't scared of her when I see her coming it's when I'm sleeping or my back is turned cause I know she's crazy

Comment

Originally posted by Russ View Post
            I just don' see how any one with a family of 5 can survive on less than 100K family income with current price of living.

It aint hard. Just dont drive 2 brand new cars and eat out every day.

Comment

Back in the 80's crash if you needed a landman or geologist all you had to do is say "Waiter"

Comment

Originally posted by RLB View Post
                Rig Contracts dont go out the window!! Those are iron clad guaranteed deals
                Really? Good luck with that thought process. My experience has been that a contract is only as good as the people signing it. Ever seen the legal system in action? Nobody wins but the lawyers.

Comment

YEP!!

Some of the guys forget that this will happen also. I went to pumping from roughnecking in '08 and some of our wells were done the same. Waiting on the oil price to come back

Production is a little safer but when cuts come they are across the board
                  I have a lot of Dead Heads to Cut

Comment

Originally posted by Russ View Post
                    I just don' see how any one with a family of 5 can survive on less than 100K family income with current price of living.
                    After taking a ramsey class its been easy to do for us, even in Midland texas with outrageous rent/housing. Before the ramsey class i could/did do it with way less in another town. If we hadnt have taken the class paid off debt i would never even thought of moving to Midland. The class was great for us.

Comment

I understand that, and I wasn't trying to be objective....but theres a HUGE difference between then and now....technology, technolgy, technolgy. We have a very good understanding on where it is and have it down to a science on how to get it....and that only improves daily. We have rigs "SIGNED" on guaranteed contracts and new builds scheduled out for many many years. Speculation will never let the crash happen again....when it does turn it will be a slowing down and not a hault.

That was then.....
                      The naïveté of your remarks is both chilling and revealing. You obviously were not in the business when it was booming in the late 70's and went FLAT bust in 1982! It was devistating to those who thought the money would never stop rolling in (like you). As a banker who worked for awhile in the loan workout area of the largest bank in Texas at the time with a huge portfolio of drilling rig and other oilfield equipment loans. Companies went from people waiting in line at the Offshore Technology Conference to just order their equipment...to not being able to give it away! I could tell you some sad horror stories about visiting our borrowers
                      offices/plants/warehouses in Midland/Odessa/Houston and seeing ghost buildings! NOTHING was happening. This went from boom to bust in just weeks!

The OP has some excellent advice, and you young folks would be wise to take heed. I cringe every time I see someone selling some souped up AR 15, Leica binoculars or some other expensive toy because of some small financial hiccup. If you don't have money in the bank (or in investments with your Financial Advisor ), you probably can't afford those high priced luxury items if you have to sell them to raise money for your kid 's braces! Just because you have the cash to pay for them (let alone having to finance them) does not mean you can afford them. That cash might should be put back for making the mortgage or truck payment when that job goes away.

They call me Grumpy .. but I have witnessed it!

Comment

RLB. Here buddy I ran to CVS for ya.

Cuz you jus got, BURNED!!!!

Comment

I understand that, and I wasn't trying to be objective....but theres a HUGE difference between then and now....technology, technolgy, technolgy. We have a very good understanding on where it is and have it down to a science on how to get it....and that only improves daily. We have rigs "SIGNED" on guaranteed contracts and new builds scheduled out for many many years. Speculation will never let the crash happen again....when it does turn it will be a slowing down and not a hault.

That was then.....
                          Lol......serious?

Comment

That was then.....
                            You under estimate OPEC and politics, if they want to shut us down over here they can and will. They can flood the market with so much cheap crude we will have to shut down because it will not be worth pulling it up out of the ground let alone drilling...

Also we knew where the oil was back in the 70s and 80s as well so that is an invalid argument and the reason it crashed is same reason it will crash if it does again. Because of OPEC and politics.

And that is why this ole boy is getting a business degree and not a roughneck degree.

Comment

That was then.....

Lol..... I'm buying this guys toys "when" not if the crash happens.

Comment

FYI 85-90% of our oil is shipped overseas

Comment

Working...
                                X