***Attn. Georgetown area neighborhood hunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

***Attn. Georgetown area neighborhood hunters

I just talked to a Williamson county game warden and found out that he learned a couple weeks ago it is illegal to bow hunt in the Georgetown ETJ on less than 10 acres. So if you're planning to hunt in any neighborhoods inside the ETJ on less than 10 acres you're breaking the law. To see if you are inside the ETJ google Georgetown Tx ETJ and look at the map.

you've been warned.

What law is that?

Comment

Originally posted by RS3 View Post
      I just talked to a Williamson county game warden and found out that he learned a couple weeks ago it is illegal to bow hunt in the Georgetown ETJ on less than 10 acres. So if you're planning to hunt in any neighborhoods inside the ETJ on less than 10 acres you're breaking the law. To see if you are inside the ETJ google Georgetown Tx ETJ and look at the map.

you've been warned.
      I thought this law was with a rifle?

Comment

From the City of Georgetown website:

(Ord. No. 2009-07, § 2)

Sec. 9.08.020. - Discharge of weapons prohibited.
        Except as otherwise provided in Section 9.08.030, it is unlawful for any person to fire or discharge any air powered weapon, archery device, firearm or other Weapon for any reason, including but not limited to hunting, sporting, target practice or competition within the City.

(Ord. No. 2009-07, § 2)

Sec. 9.08.030. - Exceptions.
        Section 9.08.020 of this Chapter shall not apply to weapons discharged:

A. As may be allowed by the laws of this State or the United States, or

B. In the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the City or in an area annexed by the City after September 1, 1981, if the firearm or other weapon is:

1. A shotgun, air rifle or pistol, BB gun, or bow and arrow discharged:

a. On a tract of land of ten acres or more and more than 150 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

b. In a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract; or

2. A center fire or rim fire rifle or pistol of any caliber discharged:

a. On a tract of land of 50 acres or more and more than 300 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

b. In a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract; or

C. The discharge of firearms in a shooting gallery or gunsmith's establishment; or

D. With a permit issued under this Chapter.

(Ord. No. 2009-07, § 2)

Comment

I believe you to be wrong Colonel Sanders!

Comment

Originally posted by txmuleyman View Post
            I believe you to be wrong Colonel Sanders!
            Way I read the law RS3 is correct but I never claimed to be a lawyer or LEO or any other type that is known to make sense of legal writings

Comment

I've called and have had GW's come out to my dads place. It was perfectly legal as long as your projectile doesn't cross your property line.

Comment

Originally posted by LemmeOut View Post
                From the City of Georgetown website:

(Ord. No. 2009-07, § 2)

Sec. 9.08.020. - Discharge of weapons prohibited.
                Except as otherwise provided in Section 9.08.030, it is unlawful for any person to fire or discharge any air powered weapon, archery device, firearm or other Weapon for any reason, including but not limited to hunting, sporting, target practice or competition within the City.

(Ord. No. 2009-07, § 2)

Sec. 9.08.030. - Exceptions.

B. In the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the City or in an area annexed by the City after September 1, 1981, if the firearm or other weapon is:

a. On a tract of land of ten acres or more and more than 150 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

2. A center fire or rim fire rifle or pistol of any caliber discharged:

a. On a tract of land of 50 acres or more and more than 300 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

C. The discharge of firearms in a shooting gallery or gunsmith's establishment; or

D. With a permit issued under this Chapter.

(Ord. No. 2009-07, § 2)

Interesting so from this it looks like even practicing at my house is against the law. Guess I'm a criminal!

Here is a map of the ETJ area:

Comment

Could this thread topic have been addressed or stated in a different manner and still get the point across?

Comment

Incorrect !

Comment

The Game Warden told me the same thing at Double G Archery shop a couple weeks ago!

Bisch

Comment

Read the exceptions in the etj area

Comment

Originally posted by Edward F View Post
                          I've called and have had GW's come out to my dads place. It was perfectly legal as long as your projectile doesn't cross your property line.
                          My MIl has a place in the ETJ, there is also a federal game warden that resides a few houses down. I've called the city and him. Both say it's legal. Lots of people bow hunt that neighborhood.

Comment

Originally posted by keystone View Post
                            Incorrect !
                            It is not incorrect! Did you read the ordinace quoted by Lemme Out above? I don't think the Game Warden is going to go looking for anyone, but if there is a complaint, he will enforce the law.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by keystone View Post
                              Read the exceptions in the etj area
                              I did:

b. In a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract;
                              Bisch
                              Last edited by Bisch; 09-30-2015, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X