2011-2012 season Recap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2011-2012 season Recap

Well it been long enough and about time I recaped our last season. We took deer that we have been watching sence our first season and I can't think of a better feeling to see how much has changed.

back in 07 I just new 911 was going to be a monster. I don't know what happened after that 3.5yrs old

08 911 fell back to a main frame 8 with a double brow. 4.5yrs old

I pretty much new at 5.5yrs old he was what he was but I still held the cull hunters off on him

At 6.5yrs old 911 was on the cull list but, the hunter I taken down to hunt him took a diffent buck and he was left for
    1 more year to do what he was going to do.

At 7.5 911 was on the hit List. It was time to take him out of the herd.

Ryan went down on his first ever Mexico hunt. We set up a Double bull blind in the area 911 hung out in. On his second morning
    in the Stand 911 came out and gave Ryan a 15yrd shot. 50yrd later he took his biggest buck to date and 911 will go down in the book as a deer we watched from our first season. He grossed 140. I know he should have been taken out of the herd yrs before but, for some reason we just liked having him around and hoped that he would put points on again

DH

we new who DH was the yr before but, I did not save Pictures. This is him at 3.5yrs old

At 4.5 he is the deer to the right. DH put on 10 solid points

At 5.5yrs old He droped his g4s and broke his Brow before season.

At 6.5yrs of age DH turned into a heck of a deer even on a drought yr. He was put on the hitlist

Ronny one of my long time Management hunters came down and wanted to take a buck bigger than anything he had before. Due to one of my other culls braking up before season we went after DH. He had went unseen sence velvet season but, I new over the years were he should be. On our thrid day of sitting in his area he showed up at 11am when we was fixing to get out of the stand. Ronny made a great shot and took his thrid and biggest deer to date with me in Mexico. He grossed 150

Beamer

at 4.5yrs old and 12pts we knew this deer would never be wide but, hoped he would be a great deer one day

At 5.5 beamer did not grow much at all but, boy did he have some beams
    No Show
    At 6.5 beamer stayed away from the cameras. We did see and video him but, never caulght him on camer. He stayed a main frame 10pt with on split blow

At 7.5 yrs old beamer was staying away from the feeders. I finaly set up a camera on a fence line and got a picture of him. I tried to get a manament hunter to take him but, everyone turned him down due to his spread

Well finaly at 8.5yrs old Beamer decided to come back in and eat some protien during last yrs drought.

Well again I had no Takers for Beamers this Season. My little Buddy Mauricio has been hunting with me for the last Three seasons. He is my landowners son and has pretty much fell in love with huntting with us. Before he was only allowed to take trash deer but, this would be his yr to move up. He came down and told me he was ready to go hunting. I told him lets go see if we can find Beamer. We went out and got in the same fence line blind were I got the picture of him the yr before. We had not been in the blind for 20mins when out walked a doe and O Beamer. 180yrd shot and he was down. At 8.5yrs old Beamer was 15.5 ins wide with good mass and 26in beams. He score 154 and change.

Biggy Smalls

I first seen Biggy smalls in 08 when he was 4.5yrs old and had high hopes

At 5.5yrs old he jacked his horns up but still showed improvment

At 6.5yrs of age Biggy was turning into a trophy buck. He almost got put on the hit list but, I felt 1 more yr could put him over the top.

Now at 7.5yrs old Biggy Smalls was a trophy That few will ever have a chance at.

With all the deer we have on the ranch for some reason I always liked Biggy. I saw him on my second sitting and choose to pass him. After five more days and looking over 100 differnt bucks I decided he would be the one to wear my tag when he came back out on the coldest morning of our hunt. He is a great deer as a main frame 8pt and just over 25ins wide that scored 167.

Fork Lift

Fork Lift has been with us like the others sence the beginning. 3.5yrs old

At 4.5 he showed a big jump that yr.

At 5.5yrs old Fork Lift almost made the hitlist but, we new he was something Special. He was not seen that season. 14pts

At 6.5yrs old he was on the top of the hit list. over 26ins wide 12pt typ. 180class. He was never seen again that season

Wow was this a shock. 7.5yrs old. he was taken off the hit list and you guessed it. He was seen three time that season.

At 8.5yrs old Forklift turned into what we all dream of. A good friend of mine was on his first trophy hunt with me when Forklift picked him to walk out on. We did not get any pictures of him that spring or summer and figured he had passed on. But out of no where on Jan. 8th Bradly took a deer of a lifetime on one of the worse droughts we have ever seen. 27ins wide,41ins of mass and score from 185 to 188 by four differnt scores. Even with a broken G4

This was not our best season by far but, we closed the chapter on so old bucks that called our ranch home for the last few yr. Also alot of our 5.5 to 6.5 yr old deer went down with the drought but, some of these old bucks found a way to improve.

Man nice write up and nice harvests!! Heck of a ranch You got there

Comment

Very well done!!! Congrats

Comment

Great write up and some even better bucks.

Comment

Thanks for sharing

Comment

Great pics and story. It is cool how you got to watch them progress over the years..

Comment

Proof is in the pudding, age is the best growth factor for trophy deer!

Comment

Loved reading the history. Wish more threads on here were like yours; actually about hunting & the history with grooming bucks year after year to harvest. Awesome!

Comment

Nice recap....awesome deer!

Comment

One day...

Comment

Great thread MexB! I love to see the deer age. Those pics are truly valuable to someone trying to learn how to age deer. Gotta let em' grow. Good stuff man......keep it coming. Thanks!

Comment

Thanks everyone. We learn something new every yr getting to watch these deer age. It is getting harder to keep up with them all now that our numbers have increased but, we try as best as we can. I had a few going on 9.5yrs old this yr we have yet to catch up with after they reached 6.5.

Comment

great bucks! congrats on a good season

Comment

great thread and even better deer.

congrats on the successful ranch

Comment

Bludau in the Riverrats hat

Gotta love it!!! Couldn't have happened to a better guy and family

Comment

Working...
                              X