Run in with a demon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Run in with a demon

Yesterday a lease mate shot a doe, we found blood but could not find the deer. We tracked for a couple of hours, kicked her up and decided to back out. Somewhere in there I got hit on the front of my left thigh. The only thing I could think of is we have a lot of what I have been taught to call army ants but I think they are actually called red harvester ants. They make these wide mounds that look like finely crushed rocks and make long trails gathering food. Never been bothered by them so I've never thought much of them like I would fire ants.

The sting got pretty intense so I dropped my pants looking for the source. Never found it but a nasty red welt was developing. Hurt like heck!!!!

Later, back in camp I was cleaning a deer and felt the same thing on my, um, "lower hip". Felt like I was getting a hepatitis shot, like someone was driving a hot needle into me with a hammer. It was even affecting the muscles. Before I could get to hit I got hit twice more! I finally got in there and grabbed it and squished it at the same time and in the dark what was left looked like one of those ant.

Today I have angry red welts that hurt like heck and are hot to the touch. Have any of you ever been bitten/stung by one of the ants? Could that be what it was?

No but you need to get on some Benadryl though.

Comment

Hurt like the dickens and I swell up real bad. Got stung 4 time dove hunting last year...Painful ant bite for sure!

Comment

That's the same reaction I get. Mine usually bruise really bad within a few days, but then are gone with in a week to a week and a half.

Comment

Those suckers hurt!!

Comment

One of those bit our family poodle at the lease a few weeks ago. She won't be going back.
            We gave her a children's Benadryl and she pulled through fine.

She was in a world of hurt there for a while though.

Comment

Mine swelled up about half the size of a golf ball and hurt really bad for a few days, but ultimately went away on their own.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by rubydog View Post
                x2

Comment

Originally posted by rubydog View Post
                  Agreed...

Comment

Yup. One morning just after putting out a geese spread in a rice field. Needless to say I didn't stay and hunt. It messed me up for the day.

Brian

Comment

Used to catch them when I was a kid and feed them to the fish. Got hit once on the finger and it went numb for a little bit and that was about it!

Comment

Could it have possibly been an asp? I only ask because they are moving at our lease like crazy....already killed 4 or 5 this weekend and saw several more.

Comment

I got hit by one in the neck this year while building pins. Fire ants got nothing on them. Five hours of pain, burning and itching.

Comment

Once in between my shoulder blades where I had a hell of a time reaching it. thought someone had put a hot ember down the back of my shirt or something. Sucks.

Comment

One bit me on the nipple a few years back at the deer lease. Most painful bite or sting I have ever had. That includes the black widow bite I had 3 years ago

Comment

Working...
                              X