Travel trailer power question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel trailer power question

First off excuse my ignorance in this dept, I haven’t used a travel trailer since I was a kid.

We are borrowing a 26’ camper to park in front of our house for some family coming to visit in a couple of weeks. The camper requires 50 amp service to run the electrical, specifically the 2 ac units.

I have a 2 pole circuit breaker, each with 50 amps that is unused. Is there anyway I can convert this circuit to power the camper? It currently has standard outlets. Are there adapters I can connect to a standard outlet that adapt to a 50 amp plug for the camper? Or can I rewire the outlet for a 50 amp service outlet for the camper?

Next question, assuming the above is possible, This outlet box is about 80’ from where the camper will be parked. I know that there will be some voltage drop over that distance, but will it be significant enough that it won’t power the camper?

Thanks and again sorry for the ignorance. I googled last night and didn’t find a lot of helpful info

Here is an image of the circuit if that helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1C023380-5E0E-47CF-8BCB-E54877EEB444.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	25147883

Yes you should be able to rewire it with what you have there if the panel is setup with a neutral and ground. Is the camper a 120V or 240V plug?

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
      Yes you should be able to rewire it with what you have there if the panel is setup with a neutral and ground. Is the camper a 120V or 240V plug?
      That’s a good question, not sure. If it 240, I have an outlet in the garage for a welder that is 240v

Comment

Check this page out it was first that popped up for me.

Comment

How long will they be there? Renting a spot at a nearby RV park might cost the same or less than wiring it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
            How long will they be there? Renting a spot at a nearby RV park might cost the same or less than wiring it up.
            About a week, but there are no nearby RV parks

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
              That’s a good question, not sure. If it 240, I have an outlet in the garage for a welder that is 240v
              If the camper is 50 amp trailer it will be 240V. You should easily be able to use the circuit for a trailer. Just make sure you have 2 hots, 1 neutral, and 1 ground. The 80 ft should not be a problem for a short period of use. I would just make sure to try to conserve power and not run everything at once

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                If the camper is 50 amp trailer it will be 240V. You should easily be able to use the circuit for a trailer. Just make sure you have 2 hots, 1 neutral, and 1 ground. The 80 ft should not be a problem for a short period of use. I would just make sure to try to conserve power and not run everything at once
                Which circuit? The original 2 pole 50 amp or the 240v for the welder?

Comment

Sounds like you need to get an electrician to help you out before you burn up some bodies trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                    Which circuit? The original 2 pole 50 amp or the 240v for the welder?
                    I'm not to familiar with outlets for welders, but I have seen a few that doesn't use a neutral. That is why, I said if you have 2 hot legs, 1 neutral, and 1 ground, You will be fine

Comment

Here is the outlet for the welder. Doesent look like it has 2 hots, neutral and a ground

Click image for larger version

Name:	150E9F28-D07D-4BE5-8CA5-8BE3CE8774F3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	24540181
                      Last edited by Playa; 05-29-2018, 08:31 PM.

Comment

The camper plug will likely not fit in the welder socket.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The link below is a good reference.

Comment

one more question..........how long is the campers hook-up/power cable?

Comment

Welder outlet has no neutral. Two 120 volt legs and a ground.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X