TRAPPING 2014/2015 season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TRAPPING 2014/2015 season thread

With season fast approaching I figured I would start this seasons thread.

Here are great links to get you all started for a great season.

How to make your own anchors for dog proof traps:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=439902

How to make your own catch pole and acetone kill pole:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=439187

Decent "how to tune your traps" videos:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWoM3RTKcbg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWoM3RTKcbg[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WD2us0A_pE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WD2us0A_pE[/ame]

How to make your own snares video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8arMDCghlM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8arMDCghlM[/ame]

If anyone has any requests for information I'm sure one of our veteran trappers can chime in answer.

I would like to see what everyones season goals are this year before we start on this adventure!!

These are NAFA standards for finished Raccoons..

SML- under 20"
    MED- 20"-22"
    LM- 22"-24"
    LGE- 24"-27"
    XL- 27"-29"
    2XL- 29"-32"
    3XL- 32"-35"
    4XL- Over 35"

measurements are from tip of nose to the base of tail/skirt

How to paint dip your traps thread I did on trapperman:

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbt...pics/4442329/1

This year we will be selling all of our furs finished to Groenewalds Fur and wool http://gfwco.com/
    Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 06-25-2014, 01:18 PM.

where is the best place to buy some coon traps? I plan on putting the smack down on some this year!!!

Comment

You can get them from a current TBH sponsor with great pricing ..

STORE : (855) 299-BUCK (2825)
      E-mail: nathan@buckstophunting.com
      Phone: (817) 783-2212

Don't hesitate to pick up the phone and call Nate, great guy to deal with.

Your best bet would be to get some Freedom brand dog proofs "DP1"

Comment

Cool thanks what makes them so good?

Comment

Originally posted by webstertroy View Post
          Cool thanks what makes them so good?
          Super easy to set (especially for kids) and the design is bullet proof.

We ran 36 of these traps for a 6 day period last year and brought in 66 coons that we kept and released quite a few that were not big enough yet.

Comment

does it take a tool to set or just do it by hand.. I haven't trapped coons before but in a live trap.. do you use marshmellows?

Comment

Originally posted by webstertroy View Post
              does it take a tool to set or just do it by hand.. I haven't trapped coons before but in a live trap.. do you use marshmellows?
              Just a quick squeeze and its set, it also has a push pull trigger design that can be set to tension also.

Marshmellows work great for bait, but so does canned cat food, hard cat food with fish oil added work s great also and is a favorite of ours.

Comment

I'm ready for the season to start that's for sure. I still have a cat killing my aunts geese!

Comment

Originally posted by Fergeris View Post
                  I'm ready for the season to start that's for sure. I still have a cat killing my aunts geese!

The waiting is the worst part!!

I have way to much to do and not enough time to do it..

Making a few trap line plan adjustments, selling some traps to replace with different ones, need to build a room in my shop to finish out furs, have all the stuff for building a electric skinning setup, and still need to buy 18 more top lot adjustable stretcher's for coon..

Comment

Great thread Dale......

Comment

[ QUOTE=Tuffbroadhead;8742414]The waiting is the worst part!!

I have way to much to do and not enough time to do it..

Making a few trap line plan adjustments, selling some traps to replace with different ones, need to build a room in my shop to finish out furs, have all the stuff for building a electric skinning setup, and still need to buy 18 more top lot adjustable stretcher's for coon..[/QUOTE]

Yes sir I understand that. It's not as bad now since I am private again. But when I was with the state it nearly took a month solid to get everything ready.

Comment

What's the market looking like this year? This seems like a fun things to try and a little extra money never hurt anything

Comment

Thanks for getting this started, and your opening post is full of info!

Really looking forward to doing some more trapping this year and learning how to be better. We trap for management purposes-- and it's a great way to have fun outside.

Comment

been using cat food with fish oil.....killed over 50 but still have a few smart ones at spots I have killed 3-4 already.

WHat kind of new bait can I throw at them?

Comment

Originally posted by TXSTDU View Post
                              What's the market looking like this year? This seems like a fun things to try and a little extra money never hurt anything
                              Way to early to know anything, the last NAFA sale is Sept 4th-7th, and prices have been all over the place and much lower than last year as to be expected with the overall hot winter the rest of the world had with the US in one of the coldest on record.

The last NAFA sale had mixed results and a record offering of near 800,000 raccoons.

Raccoon 778,063
                              63% Sales West/Northern Low $19.02 High $105.00
                              46% Sales West/North Central Low $14.02 High $39.00
                              37% Sales East/North Central Low $10.26 High $29.00
                              20% Sales Western/Semi Low $12.33 High $19.00
                              15% sales Canadian Low $16.53 High $30.00

These are all finished furs green fur prices will be much lower.. As you can see from the numbers clearances were low and prices have leveled out to equal prices from 3-5 years ago.

Beaver
                              34% sales Eastern Low$20.36 High $54.00
                              Western – Mainly Withdrawn and pulled from auction
                              75% sales Section III Low $8.34 High $12.00

Coyote
                              100% sales Heavy Low $88.12 High $155.00
                              100% sales Semi Low $42.92 High $96.00
                              30% sales Eastern Low $22.82 High $78.00

BOBCAT
                              99% sales Western Low $323.07 High $2,150.00
                              98% sales North Central Low $89.40 High $300.00
                              100% sales South Western Low $145.30 High $260.00
                              97% sales Western Canadian Low $209.35 High $550.00
                              90% sales Eastern Canadian Low $88.38 High $185.00

Wild Grey Fox
                              20% sales Eastern Low $28.61 High $35.00
                              35% sales Western Low $25.80 High $32.00

Please remember these are all finished furs and more than likely the best of the best was offered for auction that is why even the low prices seem high, beaver took a MASSIVE loss this year and really has me thinking of what in the world I'm going to do.

Here are my plans as of right now for this year and the trap totals I will be running. But be aware I will ONLY be trapping Mon-thurs of each week on public property this year with specific target animals on my list. Friday-Sun my 12 yr old son will be hitting my ranchers properties to keep the prey species in check.

27 @ sleepycreek No'4s with Paws-I-Trip steel rod upgraded dogs with Night latch.

12 @ Conibear 330's

38 @ Freedom brand FB1's

12 @ Freedom Brand FB1's on order

As you can see we totally liquidated our small animal line as of yesterday and have replaced it with a additional 12 FB1's for raccoons.

Our target numbers for the year are:

500+ raccoons
                              40+ beaver
                              30+ coyotes
                              10+ bobcats
                              30+ Greyfox

As you can see we plan on hitting it hard this year and have made the offer to several people to play along, even working on a deal for film work to be submitted to a few shows and as several of you have requested we are also working on a deal for short how-to's to be filmed for a youtube account..

Comment

Working...
                              X